PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I've searched the house for about an hour for a pipe that was literally in my clench the whole time.

Cosmic, I do that with my glasses all the time, "Where the F are they?" I always find them in the same place...on my face.
Jollyroger that really sucks. I've had no less than 3 cars stolen, so I know the feeling :(

Are there any tobacco haters in your office?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then again, it may not be a tobacco hater, nor a jollyrodger hater. Psychology claims that some theft is a need to be given "gifts," and that thieving sometimes victimizes people the thief wishes to emulate and admire. The human mind is a complicated place and doesn't always follow reason. That theory fixes nothing, but it is another wrinkle.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
First of all I'd like to thank you all for your sympathy and understanding. Your generosity and empathy are inspiring, and more than I could have ever asked for, short of my pipe back.
Tracing back my steps, and carefully examining my desk space revealed several other oddities, such as slightly opened cabinets, a missing monitor converter. Furthermore several colleagues also reported missing artifacts within 24 hours of my pipe gone missing.

So I set a trap.
I set out a smartphone that belongs to the office on a desk that had not yet been raided, but in close proximity to those that had been. Coincidentally it just so happens that I hacked the living hell out of the phone.

I assumed that the person is technologically literate if he works here, so I even made one of the security measures just evident enough to make the culprit think they managed to neutralize what measures might be in place. He'd be dead wrong and a walking Beacon transmitting audio, video and geolocation, until he completely reinstalled an operating system, and I made that very hard to do.
Now I'm just waiting for it to walk away.

I must state that I'm not out to ruin any lives, and believe in second chances, but I want my pipe back, and find the hunt therapeutic. Also got to learn quite abit about mobile device vulnerabilities which was both fun and frightening.
I will update if there are any developments.

Thank you again for your generosity. Especially fnord, you're an amazing person and I am humbled.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This kind of stuff happened to me on 2 occasions in the past few weeks. Invariably it's a "Purloined Letter" situation. Try the obvious. With a beloved Irish Harp billiard, it was in a waste basket: I knocked it inside when I fell asleep at the dining table. The second time I was searching for a bindered manuscript that represented some of my best writing 20 years ago; after a week of looking, a thunderbolt struck, and I found it--in a file cabinet. Good luck!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
That's rough. I've had a few stolen, though none that were favorites.
Never underestimate what a person is willing to steal. I operate a pay parking lot. For years I had a salvaged piece of OSB I used as a Full sign. This was a decades old piece from a demolished house, a 3'x3' splinter magnet with chipped white paint and my awful hand painted "FULL"....and someone stole it. A totally valueless and extremely ugly item someone just had to have as a souvenir of their trip to Gatlinburg.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am picturing Jonathon Banks sitting in the booth in "Better Call Saul".... Sorry for your loss. Only straightup vandalism is more frustrating than stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.