PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I've never been a huge collector of anything, and the same goes for pipes. I simply did not see the purpose of owning many pipes as I always wanted to smoke just one, my ever so slightly bent Chacom Neptune. I own two other pipes that I consider mediocre smokers that simply were not enjoyable and tragically paled in comparison , and my other good smoker I've gifted.

What was the point in investing any further into more pipes when I would always make up excuses why I simply must smoke the Chacom.
The pipe was magic, bought for me by my wife before our son was born in our last adventure abroad as just the two of us ,which would make it around 8 years old, and always kept in glorious condition.
And as per my daily ritual at work, I had returned to my desk and after cleaning and shining post smoke, I was about to place the pipe away into my pack, when I got called away to a sudden and pressing meeting and left the pipe beside my keyboard.
With the meeting ending later than usual, I was in a hurry to get home and see my kid before bedtime, I had completely failed to notice that something was amiss.

On the driver home I immediately called a trusted colleague and asked that he put away the pipe on my desk, to which he replied, "what pipe on your desk?
Worry was replaced with terror.

Theft? Pipe theft? In my office? But everyone knows everyone. We're all friends. And for f**k sake I'm the only pipe smoker here!

I put my son to bed, had dinner with my wife, got in the car and made the commute to work, knowing that sleep will not arrive until I return my pipe. What am I to smoke before bed? Or tomorrow morning?
I looked everywhere, I asked security, lost and found. Not a sign or clue. And after an hour of moving every piece of hardware or furniture within a 2 meter vicinity, I got back in the car, drove home, told my wife, and sat out with one of the other pipes. Three puffs in, had to set it aside in disappointment. Not even close.
Over the course of the past four days I've heard of multiple other mysterious disappearances. The pipe however never showed up.

It's infuriating, heart breaking, disappointing.

Who the heck steals a pipe? And how am I to find one that could provide the same experience.

The frustration just makes me want to pack a bowl even more, leading to a recursive spiral of aggravation and regret.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Sorry brother!
I have had stuff stolen from me at work fairly often over the years. Weird stuff too. I suspect that it is more of a disease thing than a value thing. That these these theives are driven to do this must be out of some weird compulsion.
Really who wants someone's used pipe? We are not talking about a highly collectible piece. On the other hand, for you it is priceless. Sorry again. I have a hunch that your wife would be pleased to replace it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Who steals a pipe? The lowest of the low....
Very sorry to hear your plight, but take heart, there are other lovely pipes that could win their way into your heart and rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing is sacred. I always assumed that anything left in the office was a potential loss. I was in six or eight different offices over the years, in the headquarters and various rental buildings, and in all of them, there were always sieges of theft, and this was with pass-card security. I guess there were kleptos among the employees and the occasional light fingered visitor or contractor. You'd think people would at least fear for their jobs, but apparently the impulse is too strong. Incredible, but true.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I hope your pipe turns up man. What a shame if it doesn't! You will be looking at all your coworkers in a different light if it doesn't show up.
Best wishes, hoping your pipe finds it's way back into your hand.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Sorry for the pipe. I hope you can get it back. We have cameras here in each room at the office, so nobody steals a thing. Also I use a face recognition software, it runs when the computer screen is locked, whoever sits in front of my computer is automatically captured and saved.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Sorry ... but nothing lasts forever. It's a new journey of finding THE pipe for yourself.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
This is absolutely terrible.
Perhaps the best thing to do is to begin the hunt for a new favorite pipe. Ask your wife if she would be willing to help? Maybe your son too? Makes it more meaningful.

Sep 18, 2015
Well that sucks, hopefully the wheel of karma will roll over whoever this was and they will understand why.

That really sucks.

Who the heck steals a pipe? And how am I to find one that could provide the same experience.

I cannot believe that someone would steal a pipe. I hear it over and over, but most of the time the pipe was picked up along with a backpack, case, or something that probably disappointed the thief when they realized that it was a worthless pipe in there. Who besides pipe smokers even know that some pipes are valuable, but within a limited market. No pawn shop would take a pipe, and easy exchange for cash is just impossible. Before smoking a pipe, and seeing them at the drugstore and antique malls selling for just a few dollars, the average Joe would think that these things are worthless, especially one that was smoked.
IMO, chances are that it might have gotten tossed someone who cleans, someone who just might not like you, or likes you but had poor judgement. Just my immediate thoughts.
But, for the second part of your question, for a pipe that might provide a similar experience, you have many options. Chacoms are pretty much sold everywhere, new and estate pipes. So, that is the easiest part of the equation to answer.
I'm sorry. This sucks for you, and I feel your pain. Hopefully the thing will show up. I have a few that would break my heart to lose. We need to invent something similar to the Club used to lock up steering wheels that we can put in our bowls while away from them. Maybe one that would also make the pipe too heavy or bulky to carry around.
Good luck. :puffy:

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm sure it's partly the pipe loss and a lot of trust broken with co-workers. Best case scenario is that someone is "messing" with your mind - check all the best hiding locations in your desk. Worst case scenario - someone is a thief either for personal gain or the fact they hate pipes.
When you find them, I say first hoist them on a petard and if that's not gratifying, keelhaul 'em or hang them in an iron cage from the cliff.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Ugh, that's awful. There is nothing that I hate more than a thief. We work so hard for our belongings and to have someone just "take" is the worst of the worst. bcharles is right, i.e., many times its not about value. As a criminal defense attorney I have represented countless people who have stolen a $5.00 item while having $100 plus dollars in their pocket.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I feel your pain. I had an inexpensive Capri basket pipe that I neglected for a year or so, cause I thought it didn't smoke well. One day I was determined to finally finish breaking it in, and within the week, it had become my favorite smoker. I smoked it for a few months many times a day, until it grew legs, and disappeared. :(

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That truly is a heartbreaker...it was obviously more than just a pipe to you. I hope it somehow shows up. :(

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Did you possibly not remember taking it into the car? Have you checked it?
You really need to buy more pipes. Thinks about having half a dozen great smoking pipes. I would start with estate Castello's and artisan pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
I had a similar experience recently. I mislaid my birth-year Dunhill (a silver spigot no less) for a little over 3 months. I was devastated. It was made worse with the economic problems we have experienced recently that have made it impossible to buy any pipes for the last year. There was no replacing this pipe. I was just sure that I had left it somewhere or it had fallen out of my coat pocket and was gone forever.
Fast forward to last Friday. I was putting together a set of pipes for a road trip when I looked through a pipe case that I had checked literally a dozen times. It was sitting there like "what? I've been here the whole time".
Honestly, I hope it works as well for you.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I feel for you it is painfull to not lose stuff but have it taken from you. Lost some treasured small things in house a couple years ago and wife and I discussed it and could have only been her niece who visited us. Frustration is a word that's supposed to mimic the feeling you have when that happens , but it goes deeper than that. I truly hope you find it or find out the story behind it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jolly:
I am truly sorry for your loss. Somebody stole a piece of you and that cuts to the damned bone.
In the meantime, I've got several spares that might tide you over until the next "pipe" comes along. They're good smokers but they don't get the attention they should.
PM your address and they're yours. If you refuse to build a rotation, then pass them along to another piper, pard.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.