PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Also, from those of you who have tried both, is there any advantage to using a graphite pencil to bees wax?
Graphite is occasionally used to lubricate a slightly tight stem. I've tried beeswax a few times and it has never worked for me.

The nail polish fix worked just fine as I was careful with it's application and evening out, and Walt Cannoy's method of gently heating of a vulcanite tenon has always worked for me.

With some of my pipes the fit is a bit more variable, depending on humidity or the season, with the stem being looser on some days and tighter on others and with most of my pipes the fit is consistent. Briar varies.

Just be careful not to ring a bell that can't be unrung.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Also, from those of you who have tried both, is there any advantage to using a graphite pencil to bees wax?
I used to use a contractor's pencil to graphite tenons, but now I just use the wheel to apply carnauba wax. Bee's wax works too, but I usually only use that on metal screw in stems to keep them from freezing up if I get a little forgetful.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Graphite is occasionally used to lubricate a slightly tight stem. I've tried beeswax a few times and it has never worked for me.

The nail polish fix worked just fine as I was careful with it's application and evening out, and Walt Cannoy's method of gently heating of a vulcanite tenon has always worked for me.

With some of my pipes the fit is a bit more variable, depending on humidity or the season, with the stem being looser on some days and tighter on others and with most of my pipes the fit is consistent. Briar varies.

Just be careful not to ring a bell that can't be unrung.
Thanks for your reply. The beeswax I use is straight from hives at our place, and is chunkier and has a bit of propolis in it. I’m not sure if that has made a difference or not. I’ve used it on pipes that I would normally put in the freezer to remove the stem, and a pipe which if held by the stummel the stem would fall out. All vulcanite and briar combination.

I’ll have to try the nail polish technique sometime.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I've used two methods on acrylic stems. First is to rub bees wax on the tenon. Works well with loose or tight stems. The second is to run the tip of a knife length wise down the tenon a few times. It raises the material ever so slightly along the ct and tightens the fit.
I can vouch for the beeswax suggestion. This is my go to method for loose stems. I will heat up the wax before rubbing it on the tenon. Works every time.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I was just reading this thread after seeing a stem tightening kit at Vermont Freehand:

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
It has been my experience that depending on how much you smoke it the nail polish will eventually flake off. I have had good success painting a very light coat of super glue then reapplying or sanding to fit. Once polished up a bit the repair is basically undetectable and permanent. ** Make sure the glue is applied evenly and don’t apply too much because it is a bit difficult to sand away.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Try working on the mortise, not on the tenon. Nailpolish will come off and other methods mentioned never worked entirely satisfactory . Well, not to me that is. Applying super glue is tricky . Soap ( old St. Claude carvers trick )
beeswax etc. only work temporary. We want a lasting result, not ?
If the mortise is really clean, take a cotton swab , dip it in warm demineralized water and wet the mortise.
The fiber will expand a little . Repeat and try, repeat and try and after a day or so the tenon will fit perfectly.
A loose tenon is often about microns.
Or take a cotton swab and dip it in water glass . Wet the mortise and let dry. Another thin layer etc.
Whatever goes wrong, don't blame me :) and remember Jesse's wise words, he's always freaking right .

Last edited:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I always used the beeswax.
Just a couple of weeks ago I read somewhere, some moistened the pipe with water with the stem removed, and it swelled enough after it dried to where the stem fit properly.
Never tried it but...

Reactions: Servant King

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I put a rubber glove on and a little squirt on a gloved finger and rubbed it around the tenon relatively even. Let it cure a hour, tested. I had to do one more application the same way , let it cure and then it fit well.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
Not sure where I saw this technique (I think it was George Dibos’s YouTube) where he inserted a pin gauge into the heated tenon. The tenon of course expands to accommodate the metal and when it cools the gauge is removed. Test fit and sand lightly if needed.

I’ve done this a couple times with vulcanite stems with good results. Didn’t want to shell out for pin gauges but I had an old drill inex with pretty close gaps on sizes. I slightly tapered the hard edge on the end (the portion that would normally go into the chick) and I inserted into tenon. I used the bit a couple thousandths over the size of the one which would just fit into the tenon.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was just reading this thread after seeing a stem tightening kit at Vermont Freehand:

Those things will split a tenon if you're not careful.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Those things will split a tenon if you're not careful.
Yes, it is an old technique but imho it is not the most obvious one and it is also without much risk. Some years ago I learned it from Ken Barnes. Most of us start messing with the tenon, which is fine as long as you know exactly what you are doing. George does and he has the skills !
I will not touch the so-called tenon "expanders" with a barge pole . Too much risk of splitting .
Apart from that you will only expand the end of the tenon, not all the way to where it meets the stem.
What sometimes works is warming the tenon in hot water and then insert a proper size knitting needle.
Set it by running cold water over the tenon.
Ken also taught me how to tighten the tiny gap that sometimes occurs between the shank and the stem.
But that is an entirely different story :)