PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I have a few loose stems that need some attention. I typically use a little beeswax but wanted to explore other options. I found a 'stem tightener kit' on Vermont Freehand and am interested to know if any has used it. If so, how does it work? Thanks.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve done it but I feel it’s a sketch way to tighten the fit. Very easy to fuck it up. I would only do this if the fit was so loose the stummel literally falls off the stem.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
AKA the butt end of a drillbit. ;)
ARe you more or less just jamming it into the tennon in order to expand?
I’ve done it but I feel it’s a sketch way to tighten the fit. Very easy to fuck it up. I would only do this if the fit was so loose the stummel literally falls off the stem.
So you force expansion of the tenon by jamming the bit in? Yeah, I can see that going wrong pretty quickly. However, I do have one pipe that the stem falls right out so I may give it a try.

Reactions: BROBS

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
ARe you more or less just jamming it into the tennon in order to expand?

So you force expansion of the tenon by jamming the bit in? Yeah, I can see that going wrong pretty quickly. However, I do have one pipe that the stem falls right out so I may give it a try.
Yes and no. You first heat the tenon so it's pliable. I've used this method successfully, though I don't have that kit. I just used a tool on hand. I would caution you not to try and go to fast. I split one that way

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
There is an important difference between the Pimo kit and a drill bit.
With the Pimo kit the steel mandrels are tapered. This taper allows you to stretch the heat softened tenon incrementally. I’ve used this system for 20 years without a failure. Trick is, easy does it. Heat tenon, stretch a little, cool tenon, check fit. Repeat as needed until fit is correct.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve used one of these with success.
61%2BMb%2BZYmsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I watched the youTube that sable posted and it is brief, well presented, and informative. I've had one adventure with a loose stem. It actually healed itself, but now I understand why.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
SO much easier to just dab a little CA glue on the walls of the mortise and leave the tenon alone.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
If you are going the glue route. Get the "BONDIC" epoxy pen. Hardens instant by the built in uv light. Results are similar to super glue.

If not just wrap some Teflon tape if it's for your own use. Works great but you gotta replace it every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.