PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
Sorry for my ignorance. I’m just coming up to speed. I tried the search function but didn’t find what I was looking for.

What are the looming laws that will go j to effect in 2021 as far as pipes and pipe tobacco?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You mean the ones that are actually going to come into effect or the ones that are supposed to come into effect because of the deeming date?

The short answer is after the deeming date, pipe tobaccos are supposed to no longer be available with the exception of the ones that have been grandfathered in. The actual answer is nobody knows what's going to happen because the legislation keeps changing. The date is a moving target.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
Thank you for answering my question.
I guess it’s a wait and see.

My question was more about what is on the books that will go into effect.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Essentially, blends continuously available in the US market since before February 15th 2007 are grandfathered in. Blends introduced into the US market date after February 15th 2007 must go through one of two Deeming processes and be FDA approved to stay available after August 8th 2021, or in some cases August 8th 2022. Blends introduced into the US market after August 8 2016 must be FDA approved PRIOR to being offered for sale in the US market.
Some blends are being introduced into the US market despite not being approved. It's a gamble that some companies are willing to take, given that they probably won't get fined until the guillotine blade drops on August 8th 2021. A great many "new" blends aren't actually new, they're just relabeled.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hmm, is that because demeans is lower so they don’t make as much? Or some other reason is causing the production to be lower?
The Asian market continues to grow, and they don't bitch about prices like we do. So that makes that market a more attractive one. But that's not all of it. The US is growing less tobacco since the end of farm subsidies. Tobacco is grown all over the world, but many blends are not available in the US.
And then there's the basic reality that the flow of shipments of blends varies. Sometimes a particular line of tobaccos becomes hard to find, only to become widely available a few months later.
Sometimes the perception of a shortage happens because the few major online stores sell out. People who only buy from a few online dealers are at a distinct disadvantage over people who buy from both online stores and B&M's. That "hard to find" blend online is often sitting on shelves at B&M's. It may cost a few bucks more per tin than the online store because B&Ms have to pay their state excise taxes, but it's there.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
Great points. Thank you. I was not aware of the Asian market situation.

As for B&M, I live at a place where there are no shops that sell pipe stuff for a good 20+ miles. The closest one is about 30 miles away and they have very limited stock. Of the stock they have, their prices are 2.5x that of the online prices. So it becomes very hard to support the B&M.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great points. Thank you. I was not aware of the Asian market situation.

As for B&M, I live at a place where there are no shops that sell pipe stuff for a good 20+ miles. The closest one is about 30 miles away and they have very limited stock. Of the stock they have, their prices are 2.5x that of the online prices. So it becomes very hard to support the B&M.
Many B&Ms ship.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Essentially, blends continuously available in the US market since before February 15th 2007 are grandfathered in. Blends introduced into the US market date after February 15th 2007 must go through one of two Deeming processes and be FDA approved to stay available after August 8th 2021, or in some cases August 8th 2022. Blends introduced into the US market after August 8 2016 must be FDA approved PRIOR to being offered for sale in the US market.
Some blends are being introduced into the US market despite not being approved. It's a gamble that some companies are willing to take, given that they probably won't get fined until the guillotine blade drops on August 8th 2021. A great many "new" blends aren't actually new, they're just relabeled.
There's a "substantial equivalence" clause in the deeming regulations which I believe blenders will use to get around having to go through all this nonsense. After all pipe tobacco blends are just different variations of the same thing.

Jun 23, 2019
I'll be interested to see how the recent rise in popularity among younger users will affect legislation for pipes/pipe tobacco.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Might have to print out sable's first post on this thread and paste it in my paper calendar for reference. Makes my head spin. I'd like to think pipe tobacco is collateral damage in the war on vaping and cigarettes, so the regs won't be rigorously applied ... a happy illusion.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Is there any way to find out how old a given blend is, or is there a list of blends that might be cut by the deeming regulations? I've been looking and can't find anything.

Reactions: kg.legat0
Status
Not open for further replies.