PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Hi all, looking for some good tobaccos with the aforementioned toppings. For a little guidance, I am specifically looking:

1. Tobaccos that have those ingredients or flavors very similar to them.
2. I want the tobacco flavor to still be present and accounted for. A "light" aromatic instead of a goopy one.
3. I've tried a few tobaccos with these flavors before, namely SWR and G&H Dark Flake. I enjoyed both.
4. Finally, I heard that so-called lakeland blends have similar profiles to what I'm mentioning, but that they ghost pipes very harshly. Given my unfamiliarity to that particular family of blends and my unwillingness to devote a briar or two to them at this time, I would like to avoid suggestions for those particular blends.

I appreciate any help you all can give. Much obliged!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Samuel Gawith Sam’s Flake
KBV The Patience of Dr Silence

@sablebrush52 The little bit of Brighton I smoked in the past, had neither Anise or Tonquin. I just received a few ounces today in the mail, smells more like a lighter/sweeter Dunbar, with the typical Esoterica Apricot note lingering subtlety in the background.

I’ve never heard of Brighton containing either of these. 🤔

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Samuel Gawith Sam’s Flake
KBV The Patience of Dr Silence

@sablebrush52 The little bit of Brighton I smoked in the past, had neither Anise or Tonquin. I just received a few ounces today in the mail, smells more like a lighter/sweeter Dunbar, with the typical Esoterica Apricot note lingering subtlety in the background.

I’ve never heard of Brighton containing either of these. 🤔
There's some apricot, but there's also anise in the topping.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
There's some apricot, but there's also anise in the topping.
Ok, I never noticed it before, I’ll see if there’s any noticeable in this new batch I just received.

By the way, I am dedicating a pipe to VAs, do you think any of the Esoterica, like Dorchester, Dunbar, Brighton, could slightly ghost?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ok, I never noticed it before, I’ll see if there’s any noticeable in this new batch I just received.

By the way, I am dedicating a pipe to VAs, do you think any of the Esoterica, like Dorchester, Dunbar, Brighton, could slightly ghost?

Not long term. Any blend will leave a trace of itself behind. Most of the time it goes away after a few smokes of some other blend, then you smoke over that with the next blend. To avoid this entirely and to also enhance a blend, dedicate a pipe to that single blend, and thus season the pipe with that blend.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
If you enjoyed SWR, you may like Granger as well - it also has an anisette flavor. I prefer it to SWR.
As far as Lakelands, I'd recommend just going all in, as tonquin is a flavoring used in quite a few of them Grab a new cob or two and give Brown Flake Aromatic, Coniston, Sam's Flake, and Kendal Flake a try.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I've had a few, not a fan. Sutliff Great Outdoors might be up your ally. It's not goopy. It doesn't list it as an ingredient, but it, at least to me stinks of it when you open the can. When lit the room note is very light almost nothing, but the flavor is there. Or even worse, Mixture No. 79. Probably a stronger room note and taste, but not the quality of Sutliff Great Outdoors.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Or even worse, Mixture No. 79. Probably a stronger room note and taste,
Not at all. That one's got licorice and sassafras going on. One of the better aromatics I order it by the pound, even got Vienna Meerschaum to make me a briar xenomorph pipe just for it. Most of Sutliff's Private Stock tins are tinned bulk; Molto Dolce/Creme Brulee, Barbados Plantation/Queen Anne's Revenge, etc. Same quality, different wrapper. Aromatics can often take years to enjoy and are definitely more suited for further down the road than in the beginning. They taste great after you figure them out though.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Not at all. That one's got licorice and sassafras going on. One of the better aromatics I order it by the pound, even got Vienna Meerschaum to make me a briar xenomorph pipe just for it. Most of Sutliff's Private Stock tins are tinned bulk; Molto Dolce/Creme Brulee, Barbados Plantation/Queen Anne's Revenge, etc. Same quality, different wrapper. Aromatics can often take years to enjoy and are definitely more suited for further down the road than in the beginning. They taste great after you figure them out though.
Molto Dolce is one of my favorites. I'm not a fan of the other stuff though. It's ....I don't want to say bland because it's not, but it bores me. To each his own though. I don't care what anyone smokes as long as they enjoy it. I also think aros get a bad reputation as being a "noob" smoke. I love aros and non aros. That's just one flavor that I don't care for. With recommendations though, I can only say what it taste like to me. I did say, I didn't care for it. I'd still smoke it if it was all I had, I've had worse and smoked that too. lol

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm not a fan of the other stuff though. It's ....I don't want to say bland because it's not, but it bores me.
Open exposure does that if it's not fresh, some jar time helps it reconstitute but still just the same blend.

Reactions: Coreios

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You mentioned Molto Dolce, I'm looking for a replacement for that one that has no Burley. Any alternative you've smoked I'd appreciate. I miss that one.
That's a tough one. Many of those dripping wet Vanilla blends are burley based. I thought Green River Vanilla would be a contender but it's pure burley. I'll do some digging.