PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA
Balkan Sasieni, which is reasonably close to the famous Balkan Sobranie (better than the current Balkan Sobranie imo and infinitely easier to come by).

McConnell has two outstanding oriental blends, "Original Oriental" which is their original oriental blend (hence the clever name) and "Oriental Square" which is a more recent offering that is aimed at Dunhill Durbar (one of the premier orientals but hasn't been made since Peterson took over the line).

The other three I can wholeheartedly recommend are L. J. Peretti's "Royal" and "Tashkent", and Rattray "Red Rapparee". Royal is based on an older generation of Balkan Sobranie from the 70's, and Tashkent is probably the best oriental on the market today. You'll have to order it from them, they don't sell it through other retailers. Red Rapparee includes unflavored black cavendish in the scottish style, but flavor-wise it's an oriental through and through.

Others to try are Robert Lewis "Orcilla" and James Fox "Campanile".
+1 on the Royal. And I need to try Tashkent..

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Just opened a can of RL Orcilla Mixture. I do like it but wish there was no latakia. It's lightly applied, but still pops through like truffle oil in food. Yuck

Embarcadero is the ticket for me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Just opened a can of RL Orcilla Mixture. I do like it but wish there was no latakia. It's lightly applied, but still pops through like truffle oil in food. Yuck

Embarcadero is the ticket for me.
After a little while in the tin, I find the Latakia fades and what is left is one of my top oriental blends.

Reactions: briarbuck

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Some of the HUs include burley/oriental and there is a Va/Or in there too.

I know it was to be without latakia, but Gawith's Skiff Mixture is a big hit of oriental and minor note of latakia.

TheChadPiper

Lurker
Jun 7, 2022
Mr. B's Delicies D'Orient from 2011 aged Macedonian leaf in a Red Virginia base.

Made by C&D. Good luck finding it, there's only only store in the world that has it, Victory Pipes in Canada.

4/4 stars, flawless.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
You could always do an advanced search on tobacco reviews and look for orientals. Also, smokingpipes.com has a tobacco locator search where you can put in which tobacco you want to include or exclude from your blend search. I've found that orientals can really change in taste depending on the region.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OHM Red is burley and Turkish and comes in a bag. It's quite tasty and mixes well with other tobaccos.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
If you ever have the chance and find an old but well sealed tin of Smyrna 1 from Mclellad series grand orientals...you would not be disappointed. It includes a whole smyrna leaf inside like the old state express.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
+1 for GL Pease Cairo. If you can bear a moderate amount of Latakia I’d highly recommend Caravan. It’s an oriental masterpiece IMO.