PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Clippers are similar to Bics in price, but are refillable, re-flintable, and can fit inside the bowl of many pipes. I have used them to tamp, but recommend against this practice - it could foul the refilling port, etc.
I have the Clipper pipe lighter and like it quite a bit.
s-l300.jpg

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
Eight pages later I'm curious if you decided. There are really only two choices. Simple, and fancy. You just have to decide which you want. They all light. Bics work, Zippos with pipe insert work well. Expensive coronas work well also. I use many different lighters. Not paying 100 dollars for a lighter though.

Hidiho

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I have the Clipper pipe lighter and like it quite a bit.
s-l300.jpg

I also have a Clipper Pipe lighter, love the size and feel of the lighter.

But...... as a lighter it was a right royal pain.

Once the flint wore down after a few uses it became harder to light requiring about 10-20 attempts to get the gas ignited, tried the the 2 flint trick but that didn't help a great deal, only trick I found that worked was to remove the flint and and put it back in again and it would work for a few more uses before having to removed the flint again.

Gas would last for about 10-15 lights and then the lighter will expel all the gas as the flame would triple in size before running out completely.

Not sure if mine was a dud or it required premium gas and flints but I ended up getting a IM Corona which works flawlessly...

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I also have a Clipper Pipe lighter, love the size and feel of the lighter.

But...... as a lighter it was a right royal pain.

Once the flint wore down after a few uses it became harder to light requiring about 10-20 attempts to get the gas ignited, tried the the 2 flint trick but that didn't help a great deal, only trick I found that worked was to remove the flint and and put it back in again and it would work for a few more uses before having to removed the flint again.

Gas would last for about 10-15 lights and then the lighter will expel all the gas as the flame would triple in size before running out completely.

Not sure if mine was a dud or it required premium gas and flints but I ended up getting a IM Corona which works flawlessly...
I don't have these problems with mine. I use Clipper brand flints. But I know lighters are very finicky. Some just have a lot of problems. I had an Old Boy that worked perfectly but then started not igniting even though it had gas and the flint still sparked. ?‍♂️

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have read the thread and am still trying to determine the cost benefit analysis of a bic or zippo to an IM Corona Old Boy or another higher end lighter.

I can justify some things (hey, I mean I own a smoking jacket), but can't seem to justify a $100 lighter.

I don't lose lighters like I uses to. However, I can say my zippo doesn't get as much use because the fluid seemingly always evaporates in a short period of time.

The convenience factor (along with price) of bics tips the scales for me in their favor. I get it's about personal preference, but what generally pushes the meter toward a higher end lighter? Just curious.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Probably an Old Boy at $100 or more can't be justified on cost per light dollar wise. But you're not adding to land fill as much as you are with disposables, and it's really the aesthetics.

That said, I just took delivery on 50 BICS, for me a lifetime supply as I generally use Corona Old Boys and Kiribis.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Title says it, but there's more. I've posted on here before about this, but I've lowered my standards a bit. I need a lighter that has an easily adjustable wheel for flame size, an ignition that doesn't get finicky like you're rolling dice clicking the damned thing over and over again and hoping it lights (looking at you, Vertigo Condor), and has a good wide (preferably long, but doesn't have to be) tamper that folds out or pulls out, and that is a FULL CIRCLE, not some kind of half-moon business. It would be nice to have a sight gauge to see how much fuel is left, but it's not a must. I am willing to make some concessions. For instance, I've noticed the Colibri Pacific has a half moon tamper, and I might settle for that. I also prefer the pointing down flame like the Pacific, though I might be open to an Old Boy style lighter.

I just want a lighter that allows me to smoke without juggling a second tamper, and that will reliably light. Any suggestions would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

And if anyone can point me in the direction of an online vendor that has a good assortment of pipe lighters, that would also be appreciated.
I’ve had a bunch of fancy butane lighters.

Here’s my $20 Armor grade Zippo with pipe insert. I love it best. Look for the Armor stamp, which means it’s heavier and beefier made.

01B4BF2F-B9B5-41BC-B862-C85619FF5822.jpeg51D486F6-2286-4473-990F-E9EAD04809E2.jpeg

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
I have a Corona Old Boy I inherited and an ST. Dupont I used to light cigarettes with. Like both. I'll probably catch a little slack, but a few days ago I bought a $50 Colibri Pacific Air and I like it as well for the price. Someone sold me a Vertigo Puffer with tools that lasted a whole five days before the ignition died. Good thing it was only $20

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
+1 for Bic lighters.

I've got some really cool lighters including a Zippo with the pipe insert but I kept turning to a Bic when a lighter needed to be filled or a new flint.

Bought by the 3 pack for $4.00aud Bics are cheap. [I buy 4 packs at a time so I get a discount] That's about $1usd a lighter.
They're efficient and reliable until they run dry.
One can have several lying around so they're readily at hand [rather than the 'Shit, now where did I put that lighter?' routine several times a day]

So now I've got a nice collection of lighters that sit in a box and use Bic lighters for sheer convenience.
Those new easy reaches with the big ectension are probably perfect for lighting a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.