Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 4, 2024
Ohio
Sadly, my church tradition thinks that tobacco is sinful. I am now an outcast...

I need a new tradition! Ha!
No! So sorry to hear that. Tobacco is a real gift, and it brings people together. If that’s a sin, then lock me up. Maybe you could try setting up a philosophy forum here? I know that’s nowhere near the same thing, but over time you might get a group of guys who are local enough to meet in person. Just spitballing here. I’d certainly join in such a forum!

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
I will often listen to music or watch YT when enjoying my evening pipe. I like listening to something thought-provoking and relatively chill. For me, pipe smoking often doesn’t go well with some of my other interests; punk rock, automotive YouTube channels, etc. However, I will listen to the likes of Carl Jung (see avatar 😉), David Foster Wallace, Alan Watts, Carl Sagan, etc. Also some more modern people who are interesting; Hank Green, sometimes Neil Degrasse Tyson, etc.

I need to start reading or doing audio books when I smoke a pipe…. I also like podcasts but usually just listen to those on roadtrips which I do frequently for work.

Not sure I’m smart enough, but I agree that it’d be fun to join a philosophical pipe group 😊

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
I will often listen to music or watch YT when enjoying my evening pipe. I like listening to something thought-provoking and relatively chill. For me, pipe smoking often doesn’t go well with some of my other interests; punk rock, automotive YouTube channels, etc. However, I will listen to the likes of Carl Jung (see avatar 😉), David Foster Wallace, Alan Watts, Carl Sagan, etc. Also some more modern people who are interesting; Hank Green, sometimes Neil Degrasse Tyson, etc.

I need to start reading or doing audio books when I smoke a pipe…. I also like podcasts but usually just listen to those on roadtrips which I do frequently for work.

Not sure I’m smart enough, but I agree that it’d be fun to join a philosophical pipe group 😊
I listened to the BBC Radio productions of all of the Sherlock Holmes stories last month, about 48.5 hours’ worth of entertainment, while smoking my pipe. It was the perfect companion.

I usually listen to books, mostly fiction, though I have also enjoyed some of The Great Courses series. I’m currently listening to a course on the history of British Colonial India. Many of these I get free from my local library, though I also have an Audible subscription.

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
I listened to the BBC Radio productions of all of the Sherlock Holmes stories last month, about 48.5 hours’ worth of entertainment, while smoking my pipe. It was the perfect companion.

I usually listen to books, mostly fiction, though I have also enjoyed some of The Great Courses series. I’m currently listening to a course on the history of British Colonial India. Many of these I get free from my local library, though I also have an Audible subscription.
Excellent suggestions, thanks!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A low proportion of pipe smokers are philosophers, but a high proportion of philosophers are (at least attracted to the idea of being) pipe smokers.

Attend a pipe club looking for philosophers and you'll likely come up empty.
Attend an Orthodox or Catholic or Anglican or Reformed church and find out when guys get together to talk theology, and you'll find half of them lighting pipes and the other half interested to try.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A low proportion of pipe smokers are philosophers, but a high proportion of philosophers are (at least attracted to the idea of being) pipe smokers.

Attend an Orthodox or Catholic or Anglican or Reformed church and find out when guys get together to talk theology, and you'll find half of them lighting pipes and the other half interested to try.
Not allowed to smoke at my church or any of the buildings; I may be the only one. Shame, I'm old enough to remember the WWII vets stubbing out Lucky's or Pall Malls on the marble floors before mass. Different era. I miss yore.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
You know what I want? I want to belong to a group where we get together, smoke our pipes, and discuss philosophy.

Anyone know if anything like that exists anywhere? I live near Salem, Oregon. Anybody nearby?

I was trying to Google for something like this, and found the following quote from a PipesMagazine article:

I LOVE this.
If you are having trouble finding anything online next time you are in Portland stop in at Rich's Cigar they might know where the pipe smokers are meeting up nowadays. They have a great selection of tobacco also.

Reactions: khiddy

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

North Idaho in a nutshell this

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Not allowed to smoke at my church or any of the buildings; I may be the only one. Shame, I'm old enough to remember the WWII vets stubbing out Lucky's or Pall Malls on the marble floors before mass. Different era. I miss yore.

Oh I've never been part of a church in which it was normal to smoke there.
(Although I did once meet with an Anglican bishop after-hours in the coffe-hour hall and he invited me to light a pipe, and handed me a tin of Presbyterian ... the irony was not lost on us ... but that was highly irregular)
But what I meant was that, in the churches I've been part of, there have usually been groups of guys who get together casually once a month over somebody's house to sip whiskey and talk theology.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Oh I've never been part of a church in which it was normal to smoke there.
(Although I did once meet with an Anglican bishop after-hours in the coffe-hour hall and he invited me to light a pipe, and handed me a tin of Presbyterian ... the irony was not lost on us ... but that was highly irregular)
But what I meant was that, in the churches I've been part of, there have usually been groups of guys who get together casually once a month over somebody's house to sip whiskey and talk theology.
When I was a kid everyone smoked everywhere. Just the way it was.

Aug 4, 2024
Ohio

North Idaho in a nutshell this
Preach brother! The old Slovaks, Irish and Russians who make up those groups know how to smoke.

Reactions: JoeW
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Not sure if the Portland Pipe Club is still around as the last time I checked their website it hadn't been updated for a bit. They were meeting at the Rose and Thistle Pub once a month (every 3rd Sunday), but don't know if that's still happening. You could always venture north and hang out with them if they're still meeting up.

In live in SW Washington and have been wanting to start a pipe & cigar club in my area, but my current work schedule doesn't really allow it. Back during my YT days we would have meet ups from time to time in Portland at 82nd AVe Tobacco and Pipe. Always a good time.

Reactions: vosBghos