PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Sadly, my church tradition thinks that tobacco is sinful. I am now an outcast...

I need a new tradition! Ha!
By your handle I took it you were Catholic, forgive my ignorance but I was raised Irish Catholic (now Orthodox) and I have never heard of Tobacco being sinful but again I was Irish Catholic so Whiskey and Lucky Strikes kind of was the Tradition.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Sadly, my church tradition thinks that tobacco is sinful. I am now an outcast...

I need a new tradition! Ha!
Smoking tobacco was not addressed in the Bible, it wasn't even known at the time the Bible was written. No person is without sin, and they allow sinners of all sorts into church groups. Why are you an outcast? Do you not deserve forgiveness and understanding? (as they sip on coffee and eat doughnuts)

I am not questioning your truthfulness as I am sure this is the situation, I question why tobacco use is treated so severely in the religious community without any doctrine to support the position.

Perhaps this can be your first philosophical discussion...

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
You're over-finessing here. Pipe smoking is niche. Philosophy, sadly, is largely relegated to being a niche discipline cloistered in what little remains of academia. Even in a campus town in Oregon, you're wanting something that probably doesn't exist.

You want a place where you can smoke your pipe and talk about books you like. That's fine. Start there. Find a book club that caters to your tastes. Build good friendships with the people there. Then maybe, just maybe, the pipe can come into play. Or maybe not. But what could happen is you invite those newfound friends to your campfire, where smoking is less of an irritant because it is done outside. Let drinks flow and snacks be plenty. Create a comfortable atmosphere around the fire, and you'll get what you wanted and more.

Reactions: vosBghos and jpberg