PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I’m talking indoors like a bar or restaurant, not a big venue. The music is so loud to me it’s not enjoyable. I ask for an adjacent dining room if there is one. Sometimes, anywhere in the main room is too loud for me and I can’t stay. Some people sit at tables or stools up close. I can’t imagine doing that, I think it would actually hurt my ears.

Reactions: kg.legat0
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Unfortunately, as soon as you put anything with a drum kit in a small venue, that’s pretty much your lowest starting point of a mix. Only going up from there.

It’s been a long time since I’ve done live mixing, but I used to wear custom molded ear plugs to save my ears.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I play music out all the time and I totally understand how you feel...actually, this is exactly how I "win" at playing music around my area. I deliberately market myself as not being 'loud' - I even use videos for booking where you can hear people talking over me. ...granted, it's easy for me as I am an instrumental guitarist. I feel like it's key to provide something interesting that people can 'tune into' but at the same time prioritize the atmosphere.

That said, there are places where the managment wants a bit more...I play with a drummer, one of my oldest friends (30+ years) - we go from low volume winery jazz duo gigs to full on psychedelic progressive rock sets at outdoor music festivals. ...it's all about reading the room! Cheers!

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I play music out all the time and I totally understand how you feel...actually, this is exactly how I "win" at playing music around my area. I deliberately market myself as not being 'loud' - I even use videos for booking where you can hear people talking over me. ...granted, it's easy for me as I am an instrumental guitarist. I feel like it's key to provide something interesting that people can 'tune into' but at the same time prioritize the atmosphere.

That said, there are places where the managment wants a bit more...I play with a drummer, one of my oldest friends (30+ years) - we go from low volume winery jazz duo gigs to full on psychedelic progressive rock sets at outdoor music festivals. ...it's all about reading the room! Cheers!
I go to outdoor venues and open air stadiums.