PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Heck I almost forgot that I recently started acquiring straight razors. I would have forgotten entirely if I hadn't just come back from the flea market with some. Thanks to building a good rapport with one of the antiques guys there I just came back with five that he practically gave me for $15 (!!!). Of course two have broken blades but one of those has a real nice handle that I'm sure I could attach to another and one would need a fair amount of work to bring up to shaving condition. But 15$!

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Hi all,
I do Capoeira, belonged to Grupo Capoeira Cordao de Ouro Indonesia under CM Papa-Leguas :

7326_172291458374_753908374_2713120_2829261_n-600x450.jpg

I love knives, at the moment got myself 2 Mora knives (546 and 711), owned a F1 Falkniven but it got stolen.

My current project is building up my BoB (to include pipe smoking equipment, of course.
Love to travel as well, see my Flickr album : http://www.flickr.com/photos/44142193@N05/
thanks!

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Aside from the obvious pipe smoking/collecting and acquiring what seems to be more tobacco than I'll ever smoke... I've recently taken up Krav Maga, it's pretty intense. I also have a love for backwoods camping. Recently I completed a week long canoe trip to the interior of Algonquin Provincial Park. Made myself a gorgeous campsite on Burnt Island Lake.

14uawpg.jpg

111thqr.jpg

I'm also in school right now, working towards becoming a paramedic and a voracious reader.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I fight with my wife all the time. Is that a hobby? I wouldn't recommend it. Expensive.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I enjoy golf, woodworking, fishing & playing guitar, but above all the majority of my spare time goes to waterfowl hunting, blind prep, shooting practice & retriever training. Here's my retriever "chamois" on her first retrieve 7 years ago.
SSPX0016.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
ulrich....nice canoe picture too.....something I've always wanted to do....but the last time I was in a canoe, my back let me know that I was too old for it. :(

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Finally found this thread.
I enjoy cooking (my mom gets all the credit.. she was a culinary teacher and trained me well). And yes, I have cooked for as many as 124 people. I did a count that day :rofl: Besides that, I enjoy camping, the outdoors, classical music and have one other collecting hobby: Belgian military decorations. It started with me inheriting all of my grandfather's military decorations of WW1 and WW2, including the Belgian equivalent of his Congressional Medal of Honor. I then decided to expand and try to get all of them. I'm nearly there ;-) Not that they're worth much, but it's fun hunting them down. The only ones mounted in a shadow box are my grandfathers. One of these days I need to make a box for the rest.
Here's one out there right now that is still missing from my collection, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.
n61.jpg

Oh yeah, and I'm a history buff and as my better half says "A walking fount of useless trivia" :rofl:

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I have far too many hobbies and interests...
I shoot competitively with muzzleloaders and schuetzen rifles. I like old watches and cylinder phonographs, along with stone Indian artifacts, baseball cards, pocket knives (Northfield k nives are my favorite). I still ride a skateboard and collect those made in the '70's. Pipes, too..

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
New member here.
Activities; I am a mountain biking freak, kayaking, fishing, camping, tennis, going to concerts, cooking. Used to work-out/lift a lot but now I just stay fit biking, kayaking, and playing tennis. Never played tennis competitively growing up as I was a baseball and soccer stud until college, but I always loved it back then and love it now.
I also play acoustic guitar. Played bass for ~10 yrs from 16 - 26 but gave that up and have been playing the acoustic for about 5 yrs. Music is my #1 passion in life aside from my family.
Other $$$ vices ala pipes; Semi-expensive watches (no more than $1K), framed music/concert art, big over-ear headphones, MP3 players, electronics in general, etc etc etc.
I also have a 6 year old Vizsla named Tessa, am married, and have a 2 y/o daughter who has been my main hobby for the past 22 months.
Life is good! Here's a pic of Tess...
Tessa.jpg

logandow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I recently took Aikido for a college class and found I really like it. Aside from that hunting, biking , playing paintball and airsoft and collecting pins which I put on my hats. Mostly WW2 German stuff and flags of Countries I have visited/want to visit.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I have had many hobbies and passions over time. Aikido and Archery being two of them. The ones I have stayed consistent with all involve the outdoors in some way. I kayak, hike, and backwoods camp. I have a real love for primitive and survival skills (bowdrill-making for fire, shelter-building from forest materials, tracking, etc). I help a few local ornithologists band Saw-whet owls and other migrating birds and collect data to study their patterns, health issues, etc. I also dabble in photography and writing.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Antique radios

Electronics repair

general antique collecting

wood working

reading

history buff

cooking

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
yo-yoing

cycling (on-road)

videogames (xbox live shooters, specifically Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty)

music (listening, not producing) and hi-fi audio. I have somewhere near >600 CDs and two Technics 1200 turntables, also some Ultimate Ears, Shure, and Grado headphones.

watches (Omega, Sinn, Seiko, Casio)
I'm trying to get into pistol shooting (as soon as I can get into a class and get my certification). I'm ex-Navy and received my pistol sharpshooter ribbon while I was in, but it doesn't count for anything once in the civilian world.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
Great post, what headphones do you have?
Sennheiser HD 595
sc001.jpg

Sennheiser HD 280
6664278067_7f82a1ee41.jpg

Sony MDR-V6
Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones-5.jpg

...and I had some Bose Quiet Comfort 2's but they were stolen a couple years ago. Bastards!
The Senn 280's are noise cancelling and the Senn 595's are 'open-aire' design which means others can kindof hear them if they are near you. They are my home office 'phones, and are fantastic.
Also bought a little DIY amp off Ebay and that little thing really drives them for optimum sound. The Sony's and the 280's are kindof similar in sound and price, and both are great. The Sony's collapse a little better for transporting but the Senn 280 aren't that bad.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
heddon-200-web.jpg
I have many hobbies. One of which is collecting old lures like this very early 1900's Heddon 200.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
003.jpg

Like a lot of you guys I have many hobbies. Something I've been involved with the past four years is amateur radio. My call sign is W8MDE. Although I entered the service in 2008 a year after Morse Code testing was dropped from all license exams Morse Code is precisely the mode I was most interested in. I taught myself the code using computer software and listening to live activity on the air. I operate mostly CW (continuous wave on-off Morse Code keying) on the High Frequency bands 20 meters (14 MHz), 40 meters (7 MHz) and 80 meters (3.5 MHz). In the time I have been active I have contacted other ham operators in all 50 states and over 40 different countries.
0082.jpg

Another hobby of mine is woodworking. Here is a picture of a straight key I made using several different species of tropical hardwoods and some brass pieces from the local hardware. The key actually works and I have used it to transmit morse code and conduct many radiotelegraphy contacts on the air. Just like my pipe I made I have found great satisfaction in using something I built with my own two hands. I find it extra-cool when I can use one hobbie's skill set to make a piece of equipment used in another hobby.
Using Morse Code is a unique way to communicate and is a skill that has to be learned and perfected. The ability can't be purchased at a store and there are no shortcuts to proficiency. I do use other modes in ham radio like side band voice and digital modes but I am most proud of my accomplishments using radio's oldest method.

Status
Not open for further replies.