PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have done the following after some of the advice posted here:

1) Thorough cleaning of stems each and every time I smoke a pipe. This is something I have gotten lax on over the past few months. Maybe I have some weird sensitivity to a moderately clean stem?
2) Being thoughtful of how I smoke my pipe. I may have gotten lazy... on my iPhone, computer surfing the web while smoking a pipe and not paying attention to where the bit was positioned when "resting" (not on the draw).
3) Taking a break from my blends. Is it the whiskey/rum I treat my blends with that is causing my issue?

After 3-4 days, spots all cleared up. Now I just have to figure out which of the 3 factors was the culprit. Maybe a combination of the 3. I had expected someone else experiencing this issue. It's interesting that I am "special" - LOL.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Ok, I know this thread is ancient but I found it helpful. I too have experienced some of this on the inner aspect of my lips at times and have wondered what the culprit "really" is.

I think the most likely is the reference to certain older stems that have oxidized, or are prone to continued degradation. If so, that is good info for me to know.

The last time I noticed it was with an older pipe I'd only recently acquired, and this stem could be the culprit.

I was wanting to get someone to make a new acrylic stem for it anyway...

Thanks all, I'll be paying more attention to this now.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
This is a "thing". When I posted this, my doctor had me go in for a biopsy and told me I had "farmer's lip" after the biopsy came back and that it was a permanent condition (white spots would be there forever). He was wrong, but had me worried. Some of us just have sensitive lips I guess. For me, moving the bit into the mouth a little further was the trick. No issues since.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Does it happen if you use a Plip stem. Maybe direct the smoke a new direction. Or fishtail of youre already using a Plip.
That most recent culprit indeed WAS a P-lip. A rather old one on a Dunmore 72. At least I think that was the culprit. I'll be paying close attention, but I smoked more than one pipe / blend that night. I have personally come to love the P-lip and that old broad stem is pretty nice, but the ancient vulcanite could be the nasty.

Reactions: Coreios