PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I'm not exactly new to pipe smoking, but have a new issue that has surfaced in the past 3-4 months. Maybe connected to blending my own tobacco? I have created 10 or so different blends. For the most part, blending oriental blends bathed in whiskey or rum. I air dry the blends. Sometimes I put the blend over an open fire (low heat) in my outdoor fireplace to do some drying, add a smokey flavor.

I enjoy my blends immensely, but find I do get white spots on my lips after smoking my own blends. Probably some kind of minor burn? Anyone else experience this? No tongue bite, just the lip burns - if that is what is its. Advice, comments?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm not exactly new to pipe smoking, but have a new issue that has surfaced in the past 3-4 months. Maybe connected to blending my own tobacco? I have created 10 or so different blends. For the most part, blending oriental blends bathed in whiskey or rum. I air dry the blends. Sometimes I put the blend over an open fire (low heat) in my outdoor fireplace to do some drying, add a smokey flavor.

I enjoy my blends immensely, but find I do get white spots on my lips after smoking my own blends. Probably some kind of minor burn? Anyone else experience this? No tongue bite, just the lip burns - if that is what is its. Advice, comments?
Are they smoking juicy where you’re getting lots of wetness from the stem on your lips?

I’ve had a sort of blister when I let tobacco juice sit on my lip overnight as I slept.

Have you tried brushing your teeth and washing your lips afterwards? Also try a natural mouthwash like “JÄSON” brand that contains aloe.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Do they hurt? Do they go away if you stop smoking for a few days? Do they only happen with your own concoctions?

Mild irritations. Thankfully, not visible to the general public. Definitely white spots. I do not over-dry my blends, but they do not seem to me any dryer than a premium tin tobacco. They do go away after 3-4 day break. I smoke 1 bowl per night on average, but when I do take a few days off they disappear.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Are they smoking juicy where you’re getting lots of wetness from the stem on your lips?

I’ve had a sort of blister when I let tobacco juice sit on my lip overnight as I slept.

Have you tried brushing your teeth and washing your lips afterwards? Also try a natural mouthwash like “JÄSON” brand that contains aloe.

Definitely brush my teeth and clean up each night. Also, I typically smoke a pipe with a Bourbon on ice or Cognac on ice. You'd think that would cool things down instantly.

I was hoping someone else had this going on... hmmm. I'm "special".

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Definitely brush my teeth and clean up each night. Also, I typically smoke a pipe with a Bourbon on ice or Cognac on ice. You'd think that would cool things down instantly.

Alcohol takes the protective coating from your mouth.. maybe the same for lips?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

I sometimes have mild irritation of the inner side of the lips, but it's related to the way I smoke the pipe: the bit never gets beyond my teeth line:

Pipe-position.jpg
I purse my lips when drawing from the pipe and when lighting it I do notice at times my lips getting 'hotter'.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I am going to pay more attention to this...
How much of a hypocondriac are you?

If much, you might want to bypass this site: Nicotinic Stomatitis, Nicotine Stomatitis, Smoker's Palate, Smoker's Keratosis, Smoker's Patch - http://www.exodontia.info/Nicotinic_Stomatitis.html
Not saying that's your issue, but the site is poorly organised and the Home page doesn't list the oral pathologies, but you can see the list to the left on that link. Happy scaring yourself to death!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
  • Wow
Reactions: BROBS