PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
A couple times a year I end up in the mountains for a period of time. Generally at an altitude of 10,000 feet or so. Of course, I take my pipe with me. The problem is, none of my butane pipe lighters work at that altitude. My pipe lighters are cheap lighters, so that may be part of the problem. However, once down at a lower altitude, they work fine again. I have a suspicion as to the cause:
- The thin air and the small spark are insufficient to ignite the gas.

I have to fly to get to my destination so I am not really interested in risking a $100 lighter being confiscated at security or taken out of a checked bag.

Suggestions for an inexpensive lighter that generates a larger than average spark that is more likely to ignite the butane in the thin high altitude air. (or other suggestions on how to deal with this.) I do have a zippo that I think would work, but I don't think I can or want to pack a can of liquid fuel on the plane.

thank you in advance!

jojoc

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
There's always matches.......
True. However, it is a skill I have not mastered. i go through an ungodly amount of matches and end up with black, scorched thumb and fingers. Right now I am leaning towards bringing the zippo and trying to pick up a can of fuel in town before heading up the mountain, or picking up a bic. With a bic I don't burn myself as bad as I do with matches.

Reactions: anotherbob

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If Bics work, then I'd go that route. Light, usually reliable, and I've lit plenty of bowls with them and didn't notice any flavor impact.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I am not positive a bic will work, but I think they will due to the fairly good spark they generate.
I suppose I could just use a match to light my pipe lighter. :ROFLMAO:

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I've never thought abought that matter, though I remember lighting up on top of Mt. Piltriquitron, 7415 ft high, some years ago. It must have been a Bic, that served without any issues.

Edit: Just did some googling and came out with the result, that any gasoline lighter like a Zippo should be appropriate.

Last edited:

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Xikar makes a high altitude butane. Not sure what the difference is and I'm not at high altitude, but that's what my B&M sells. Works great at low altitude anyway. Perhaps that would help you.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Contemporary Bics can scorch your pipes' rims, though. Once upon a time, Bics came with flame regulators, but alas, they no longer do, and their flames are in the pocket flamethrower category. I've at least four pipes that have been damaged by such ungodly flames. Careful with Bics if that's what you must use.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Contemporary Bics can scorch your pipes' rims, though. Once upon a time, Bics came with flame regulators, but alas, they no longer do, and their flames are in the pocket flamethrower category. I've at least four pipes that have been damaged by such ungodly flames. Careful with Bics if that's what you must use.

Good to know that, though I never had that kind of issue. But what I've experienced recently with several Bics was, that the lighter shot a big burst of gas into my pipe in the momemt, when I put my thumb off the "trigger". The annoying result is, that ash and burning tobacco get blown out of the pipe and onto my clothes or anywhere else depending on my position.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
Right now my best bet is an electric lighter.
The classic answer is “Zippo” but those can be smelly and messy (and require weekly refilling no matter how much it’s used).

I’m actually glad that Bics give more flame now since puffing while lighting is the #1 reason I scorch my mouth. I even bought some campfire accelerator gel to use in pipes (haven’t used it yet but I can’t wait to try once my mouth has recovered from recent tissue grafting).

Reactions: trudger

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
You can try an electric or zippo lighter + hemp wick. Similar to using a match, you can control the flame easier without scorching your pipe.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've bought high altitude lighters in the past and none have worked very well.

My Kiribi and Bics have never failed even at 11000 ft. I routinely camp/fish at 9000 ft and have lit many a cigar and bowl without problems.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I'm pretty sure this lighter would work at altitude as well and it recharges with usb. But it really only works for the first light. Without flame it doesn't really reach down into the bowl. Pretty good for cigars too and no fuel either.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I am often above 10,000' here in Colorado and I use a typical Bic. The only problem I have had is if I let it get cold. I keep it close to my body and everything seems fine. I have not tried other brands of lighter other than a Zippo which for me, does not work as well and seem to always be almost out of fuel.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've bought high altitude lighters in the past and none have worked very well.

My Kiribi and Bics have never failed even at 11000 ft. I routinely camp/fish at 9000 ft and have lit many a cigar and bowl without problems.

I don't know if it is the lighter itself that is important but rather using high altitude butane. I use the high altitude butane at altitude because it is a better grade of butane.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure this lighter would work at altitude as well and it recharges with usb. But it really only works for the first light. Without flame it doesn't really reach down into the bowl. Pretty good for cigars too and no fuel either.

View attachment 1949

The electric lighters I’m looking at are only as wide as the arc mechanism. I don’t know if covering it in ash would stop it from working, but you should be able to find models that will reach the bottom of your bowl far better than any fluid powered lighter.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Thank you all. It is sounding like a bic or zippo are my best bet

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
This was a very good question. I used to struggle getting a spark to keep when I spent time up in the mountains, I just figured, the lighters don't work well up here but at least my thumbs still do. *flick, *flick *flick *flick

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't know if it is the lighter itself that is important but rather using high altitude butane. I use the high altitude butane at altitude because it is a better grade of butane.

I use Vector 14 butane and have not had any issues since I switched to it. What do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.