PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
2 oz or less is kind of the magic number for me. The length makes a big difference, the longer the pipe, the heavier it will feel. Think lever. The shaping of the stem is significant. Wide and thin with a decent button make it easier to clinch.
I’ve found this leverage point to be a big deal. Straight pipes that I thought weighed relatively light but were over 6 inches long I’ve had more trouble clenching than noticeably heavier pipes just over 5 inches.

For straight pipes, I find the ideal maximum combo (where you can find it) to be around 35 - 38g (1.23 - 1.34 ounces) and ~5.5 - 5.75 inches.

It can also matter where the weight is—a heavier bowl and lighter stem will pull downward more when clenched than a more balanced pipe of the same weight.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I prefer a light straight pipe to the seriously bent kind, but they’re relatively hard to find. This 18g Castello has walls that border on too thin, but is otherwise excellent.

7710216B-0D3B-410E-9AB5-7C37FD12F4BD.jpeg

What I really want is a 1 oz straight billiard, a little short at 5.25”, but with normal thickness walls and a good .75” x 1.5” chamber. I think I may have to commission it. I’ve seen some Ashtons that fit the bill, but they go quickly.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I prefer a light straight pipe to the seriously bent kind, but they’re relatively hard to find. This 18g Castello has walls that border on too thin, but is otherwise excellent.

View attachment 160326

What I really want is a 1 oz straight billiard, a little short at 5.25”, but with normal thickness walls and a good .75” x 1.5” chamber. I think I may have to commission it. I’ve seen some Ashtons that fit the bill, but they go quickly.
I'm liking that bottom Castello.
puffy

Reactions: Merton and Casual

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
The other thing to look for besides weight is balance. A full bent pipe clenches differently than a straight pipe of the same weight. I enjoy clenching full bents, in particular those that can rest on your chin, but rarely clench straights. A good full bent will "disappear" when you clench it.
Exactly, for me even a heavier pipe in a full-bent is hardly noticeable.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I’ve found this leverage point to be a big deal. Straight pipes that I thought weighed relatively light but were over 6 inches long I’ve had more trouble clenching than noticeably heavier pipes just over 5 inches.

For straight pipes, I find the ideal maximum combo (where you can find it) to be around 35 - 38g (1.23 - 1.34 ounces) and ~5.5 - 5.75 inches.

It can also matter where the weight is—a heavier bowl and lighter stem will pull downward more when clenched than a more balanced pipe of the same weight.
Thank you for such a detailed answer. This will help me in my search!!!

Reactions: briarfoxx

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It took me years before I understood what pipes smoked my fakes and plugs the best. Almost all of my pipes are group 4-5 and weight 40-55 grams. I do have a couple of 60 gram group 6' s which I will half hold and half clench. My criteria is as follows and all my pipes are classic shapes.

5.00"-6.5 "" in length
Bowl height around 2.15"
Inside bowl depth around 1.50-1.75
Inside bowl width .75" to 13-16" and and I have a few 7/8"
Shank diameter 4.0-4.5MM.
Stem numbers I don't know the numbers but I do know when a stem made from high quality German vulcanite is made right.

It took me a good ten years to come up with this strict criteria and when I buy a pipe today, I never vary from my numbers. For me and my addled brain I surprise myself that I continue to remember these numbers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One might think I'm on the take from the French pipe industry, but I do find that French pipes are often fairly light weight, and though their chambers can be on the small side of medium, their quality is usually beyond their price point. BC, Chacom, Genod, Ropp, etc., offer both good smoking characteristics and traditional design with a lot of style. And remember, with a modest size bowl, you can always prolong your smoke with flake, coin, plug and rope, which burn slower. I have a Genod and Chacom that actually have bowls a little above average for the size of the pipes, and that are pleasingly light weight.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
One might think I'm on the take from the French pipe industry, but I do find that French pipes are often fairly light weight, and though their chambers can be on the small side of medium, their quality is usually beyond their price point. BC, Chacom, Genod, Ropp, etc., offer both good smoking characteristics and traditional design with a lot of style. And remember, with a modest size bowl, you can always prolong your smoke with flake, coin, plug and rope, which burn slower. I have a Genod and Chacom that actually have bowls a little above average for the size of the pipes, and that are pleasingly light weight.
With all due respect...I would rather suck on the exhaust pipe of Jed Clampett's truck than put one of those French things in my mouth. Again... with all due respect. puffy puffypuffy

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman Bent.

Since you're only 6 months into your piping journey you might consider giving one of these a try as a budget-friendly answer to what you seek. Cobs are great smokers, can take lots of abuse, will last for years, & are low maintenance.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Like @cigrstated, it took me a while but I found the dimensions that worked best for me and went from there. I started commissioning with these numbers in mind and it was my best move yet. Sure I still buy pipes out of my favored dimensions, but don't smoke them as much as ones I commissioned.
Jason Patrick, for example, has made me a handful of pipes that I would consider full size but they are the lightest pipes I own. Its insane how light his pipes are.
Also shape and length have everything to do with it. Play around with it and when you find a pipe that fits just right, make note of its weight and dimensions and go from there.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
As a new pipe smoker (6 months now), I'm still trying a bunch of different blends and pipe brands. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to good full-sized pipes that don't weigh very much. I find that I enjoy clenching but if I've got a heavier, full-sized pipe in my mouth, it can get tiring after a while. Thanks in advance!
The Brebbia 1960 series is pretty light weight - my 1005 Billard is 1.2oz (34.02g) and a good size.

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman Bent.

Since you're only 6 months into your piping journey you might consider giving one of these a try as a budget-friendly answer to what you seek. Cobs are great smokers, can take lots of abuse, will last for years, & are low maintenance.
I’ll second this recommendation. Even though not too many people agree, I’d go as far as to recommend a pear wood pipe. They’re not made of the ever-holy briar, but they are super lightweight for clenching, and they get the job done. Only drawback is they tend to smoke warmer for me than a briar of similar dimensions. I could honestly spend my life with nothing more than a few Missouri meerschaums and my two Brog pipes.