PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
As a new pipe smoker (6 months now), I'm still trying a bunch of different blends and pipe brands. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to good full-sized pipes that don't weigh very much. I find that I enjoy clenching but if I've got a heavier, full-sized pipe in my mouth, it can get tiring after a while. Thanks in advance!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have heavier pipes, but I prefer those that weight 1.6 ounces or less and still have some chamber capacity, diameter and depth. As noted in an earlier post, SP and some other retail sites regularly list the weight of the pipes as well as chamber dimensions -- and many sites don't! So pay attention to the sites that do, and shop a lot there. I think window shopping as an idle pleasure helps, when you don't buy a pipe. You can learn a lot about brands and specifications. Some Kaywoodie, for example, weight about 1.3 ounces but have full sized chambers, because they have thin bowl walls that still insulate well, and they happen to be moderately priced.

I'm always surprised at how heavy some of the artisan pipes are. It seems as if a lot of carvers don't consider weight, or consider it a plus in selling their pipes ranging well above 2 ounces, some with longer sometimes straight stems that increase the leverage against the teeth.

MM cobs are generally pretty good about weight, as a brand.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The other thing to look for besides weight is balance. A full bent pipe clenches differently than a straight pipe of the same weight. I enjoy clenching full bents, in particular those that can rest on your chin, but rarely clench straights. A good full bent will "disappear" when you clench it.
Good to know. What would you consider a good full bent that will "disappear" when clenched?

Aug 1, 2012
Good to know. What would you consider a good full bent that will "disappear" when clenched?
For me, it would be something along the lines of a Hungarian or Oom Paul shape. I find many of them to be the kind that are a breeze to clench.

Another factor for me is button/bit size. That's entirely subjective but in my case, a flat stem with a sizable, crisp button will clench better than a small, thin button or one that's been buffed away.

I haven't given brands because I find them to be less indicative of comfort than finding the right specs.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a Stanwell Dublin from the '70s that is featherweight.
My Dunhill shells (straight billiards) are all lightweight

I have 2 full bents that hang effortlessly - a Castello and a Pete SH Lestrade - both "full-sized" and quite substantial hunks of briar.

Meers are lightweight compared to briars of a similar size.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Go to SP (or others) and look for pipes which weigh 2 ounces or less. Then, you can decide if the length and shape fit your preference.
One thing to keep in mind, from my experience, is that the SP listings weights look very specific but are often copy-pasted from other listings of the same models. I’ve had them upon arrival be heavier by as much as 15g before (over half an once), which is quite a lot when the goal is clenching. The listing weights can give you a general ballpark about what to expect from the pipe model, though. (My favorite pipes are the ones that ended up arriving lighter than listed).

Being able to weigh it and feel it in person at a brick-and-mortar is a sure option. That said, I do buy lots (most) of my pipes from SP. Just good to be aware of.