Life Affirming Pipe Experience And Is Mixture 79 So Bad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Very much dig Mix 79, it's even found it's way to a dedicated pipe for me. You get the burley flavor (a milder affair from the toasted, but nice) meeting the casings/topings halfway in flavor. Never tried Peretti's No Name...if I'm in the mood for my CC # being stolen again I'll add it to my next order.

If KBV was repackaging Mix 79 and had a trendy Lovecraft-Anime mash-up name it would fly off the shelves. "Innsmouth Bebop".....with double-stoved weed and arcane tinctures yada yada. The cool kids would be camped on Instagram to buy it out a minute after it went for sale.
20200509_105839.jpg

Last edited:

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Mixture 79 is OK. Assertions that the tobacco is inferior seem overstated. Develops a great bowl scent, if anyone digs that. The initial experience may be off-putting because it's quite different from straight VAs, VaPers, "English" blends, and Sir Walter Raleigh, etc. I laugh at reviews where the writer sets fire to a bowl, takes a few puffs, and then hurls it. This is, of course, the proper response to an apparent nicotinic obscenity. But the weird soapy taste grows on you, up to the point where you actually crave it. Each to his own. And if the pure version is too much, dilute it with Granger or something. I used to mix it with Mac Baren's Golden Extra, and I've never had as many positive "What is that you're smoking?" queries as with that concoction.

I agree that today's version is not quite the same as yesteryear's. Neither is Half-and-Half. Neither is Ronson lighter fluid, for that matter.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm not a fan. I don't hate it, I just find it kind of boring and the room note is just....odd. Not bad, not good, just weird. I have a pouch that will eventually get smoked, but I likely won't buy more. I don't understand why it gets so mercilessly bashed though. It's not anything particularly horrible.

Oh, and if you don't like Dr. Pepper you can't be trusted. Outside of maybe Diet Canada Dry, Diet DP is the best diet soda that exists.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If KBV was repackaging Mix 79 and had a trendy Lovecraft-Anime mash-up name it would fly off the shelves. "Innsmouth Bebop".....with double-stoved weed and arcane tinctures yada yada. The cool kids would be camped on Instagram to buy it out a minute after it went for sale.
View attachment 29256

A) This statement is so on point.
B) Your 79 pipe is a beauty!
C) KBV really should mix some oriental and Latakia with 79, press a cake, and name it Innsmouth Bebop. Or B'gnu Thun Zonei... a Lovecraftian spin on Bengal Slices? I'd camp out with the cool kids for that!

See you space cowboy...​

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Could anyone actually be able to describe to someone who never had Dr Pepper what it tastes like? I just need to find a tobacco that tastes like Captain Crunch...
I’ve never tried Dr Pepper or captain crunch...bit if captain crunch tastes anything like the sweet milk leftover after a bowl of corn flakes, I’d try cutting MB golden extra with a simple burley.