Life Affirming Pipe Experience And Is Mixture 79 So Bad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
The other day I was out smoking my pipe on a fairly busy street here, Myrtle Avenue, use to be referred to as Murder Ave. back in the Biggie Small era due to well, murder. Those days are dead tho. Anyway, this older gentleman smelled my pipe and engaged in conversation, he was likely in his 70s. He told me he has his father’s collection of pipes (8 of them), and that he smoked Mixture 79 which he would buy at Nat Sherman’s. I told him he likely could still buy that tobacco online as he was wanted to place a tin near the pipes to remember his father. I was feeling a bit manic and down that day due to well, “the situation”, and felt much better afterwards. I doubt I could have a better pipe experience unless, perhaps, he turned out to be Sophia Loren or something...

Later I was reading the many bad reviews of the current incarnation of Mixture 79, hopefully he doesn’t pay them any mind as what does it matter to him... is this tobacco really so awful? I considered for a moment to order some so I could tell him about it the next time I run into him.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You can most certainly, not just likely, buy M79 on line.

The new incarnation of M79 is licorice dominant. The old is floral dominant. I understand from Jim Inks that the feds made them take out the musk, so it had to be reformulated. I much prefer the old, though I can understand why it would not appeal to the modern palate. The main problem with the blend is the quality of the underlying burley: it's not very good, unlike say, the burley that Uhle's, which is know for its burley blends, uses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For several years Mixture No. 79 was the joke blend on Forums. It got no respect. Then chasingembers got on the case, and a number of us had a "come to 79" moment. I tried it and found it a tobacco forward artfully done aromatic with solid burley underlying the subtle flavoring. Just to illustrate the point, today I ordered it in bulk from SP as I am about to use up my pouch of it. You don't have to like it ... at all. But it's a mistake to think it has been around for about a century tasting awful. I'd say, if you see the man again, tell him that he's made an astute choice, on the side of the angels. Try some! On sale in bulk now at SP on the Sutliff page.

Jan 27, 2020
It's really not that bad. In fact, I found it fairly tasty. Don't know about the old production but I would imagine if the old timers from back then were around now and giving TR reviews this blend would have a higher rating than it does

How does it compare to the MacBaren Vanilla? I guess back in the day their was less access to critical reviews so people would stick with that they liked and knew.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS