PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

What do you drink while piping?

• Nothing - Piping should not be diluted

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Something Sweet - Soda, sweet tea, etc.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Coffee or Tea - Nic + caffiene is my combo

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Water - Palate cleanser and tongue bite soother

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Alcohol - Wine, beer, or liquor for me!

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I quit drinking before I started piping, but my drinks were mostly beer and whiskey (bourbon, Irish Canadian, but not Scotch). I also drank a fair amount of tequila and Fernet Branca (when i wanted things to get weird :eek:).

Now I drink Diet Dr. Pepper and water almost entirely.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, any kind of beverage would be an excellent companion with a pipe. Water, coffee, tea, soda, and various types of alcohol ALL have the ability to enhance a pipe. Since I am of the opinion that a pipe can be great anytime, the particular beverage would be determined by the needs, requirements, or restrictions of the environment.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
In thinking about things in this topic a bit further.... one aspect I notice for myself is that while drinking alcohol, I find that 100% of the time that the PIPE enhances the alcoholic beverage. So much so, in fact, that unless I am able to smoke a pipe while drinking alcohol, I will forgo the alcohol.... meaning that without the pipe, I find the alcoholic beverage uninteresting and not really worth consuming. ?

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Oh yeah and I don't drink alcohol. Never have. Never will.

good for you. Especially while smoking, alcohol consumption elevates the health risks considerably if done consistently, from what I’ve read (although for some, i know, it also elevates the enjoyment).

I go for iced coffee, when practicable. Adds to the enjoyment/taste of most tobaccos for me and is supposed to support oral health, again—from what I’ve read.

cheers
Drew

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
good for you. Especially while smoking, alcohol consumption elevates the health risks considerably if done consistently, from what I’ve read (although for some, i know, it also elevates the enjoyment).

I go for iced coffee, when practicable. Adds to the enjoyment/taste of most tobaccos for me and is supposed to support oral health, again—from what I’ve read.

cheers
Drew
Yeah my parents ruined alcohol for me as a child. I never want to be like they were. Plus addiction runs strong in my family, and I enjoy being innebriated. So im worried I would enjoy it too much like my parents did. So soda and coffee for me!

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I have to drink a pop with certain burley blends, the sugar keeps whatever it is from irritating my throat. It's coffee/tea for everything else!

I spend so much money on whiskey and tobacco that I want to enjoy them fully. For me, the liquor seems to deaden the tobacco flavors, and vice-versa

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Yeah my parents ruined alcohol for me as a child. I never want to be like they were. Plus addiction runs strong in my family, and I enjoy being innebriated. So im worried I would enjoy it too much like my parents did. So soda and coffee for me!

Kudos for identifying where you may be vulnerable—that can be really difficult.

one of the reasons I have “allowed” myself to begin piping (at the age of 46) is that I know I do not have an addictive personality or any predisposition to it. But, I do want to enjoy life!

I hope you have decades of enjoyable bowls ahead of you!

best

Reactions: docrameous

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had good experiences with ice water, tea, bourbon, beer, coffee, fruit juice, cola, and other beverages, but if I really want to focus on the blend in my pipe, water does a perfect job of thickening the smoke but not distorting the flavor.

Reactions: Idahojoe

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I checked the "nothing" box, I do most of my pipesmoking while out walking with stroller, toddler(s), dog etc. And I'm not enough of a multitasker to handle a beverage at the same time without ensuing chaos.

oldmanbourbon

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Upstate South Carolina
I start my day, with a strong, fresh brewed, cup of Newman's Own coffee, along with my Early Morning Pipe. Later, it's water or - if feeling like walking on the wild side - an ice cold Coke, along with some progressivley stronger blends. Then, by evening, I transition to either craft beer or good Kentucky bourbon (preferably Eagle Rare or Willett) accompanied with heavier blends reserved for evening smokes. All, of course, taken in moderation - with the exception of the Coca Cola (I do, after all, live in the rural South).

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
During the day if at home it's usually coffee or maybe a beer in the afternoon/evening during the hotter months. After dinner I do like to have a coffee along with a dark rum or whisky with a pipe. The flavours from the alcohol always enhances the tobacco taste.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.