New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

I hope however you choose to sell that things go well for you.
I believe that if you sell on here or try tp use ebay yourself that you wouldn’t get but a fraction of what Steve could get for you. It’s worth the fraction he charges because he has a huge following of folks willing to pay for what is being sold. However, on here or ebay, folks will be looking for cheap cheap cheap. It benefits the buyers in this case.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Despite various health concerns I picked up the pipe out of an atavistic need and wanting to reconnect with my grandfather who died when I was a teenager. He smoked a pipe and his study smelled so great. I’ve smoked about all I want to smoke and I don’t want to get addicted again. I smoked cigarettes since my time in the service and just quit cold turkey several years ago. I now want to direct my time, interest and money into other things.
Well, it sounds like you’ve put a great deal of thought into your decision, so I won’t try to sway you otherwise. I can respect anyone that puts their health ahead of any vice.

If you ever make it back down here, hit me up. I’ll meet you at Pulliams and we can share a few dogs. I’m buying ( big spender).?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For 35 years I was terribly addicted to the lung busters. Couldn't go 30 minutes before I'd start craving.

Over 11 years ago I switched to pipes and have not had a ciggie since, nor wanted one.

All the blends that I smoke have no more than mild nicotine - although having said that, my research and talking to others leads me to believe that nicotine, in moderation, is not as addictive as we've been led to believe.

Tailor made cigs have a staggering 300+ added chemicals, many of which are more addictive than the nicotine itself [and responsible for 99% of smoking related disease]

Now I can go all day without a smoke and not even notice when otherwise occupied, so despite the several bowls of tobacco that I smoke most days, I'm no longer addicted.

Many here smoke rather strong blends [that would turn me green] and say how they go days without due to lack of spare time. If they were addicted they'd find the time, lol.

I second the advise to hang onto several of your favourite pipes and to keep [at least] your tinned tobacco. It will only improve with age and go up in value [Aged tins especially sell for good money]
how quickly a drug enters ones bloodstream and then brain are a huge factor in how addicting a drug is. You can get just as addicted. A nicotine takes longer to get through the mucus membrane in the mouth and then the blood has to travel the whole way through the body which takes about a minute give or take to get into the brain. Two really clear examples of how absorption rates effect addiction would be opiates and how they're administered and sipping a martini versus slamming shots. Injections put whatever right into your blood stream. If you inject an opiate you'll develop an addiction much faster then with pills or snorting (if you develop a full blown addiction it will be just as bad it just takes longer). Ever notice you get crazier if you drink the same number of shots then if you sip the same amount of alcohol? Basically when it's slowly introduced into your system your body has the time to compensate and adjust when it's dumped in quickly like through smoke in your lungs or other chemical aids(cigs have additives to get nicotine into your system faster and also out of your system faster). A slow introduction doesn't create a spike so the body doesn't have to scramble and also reacts less violently in trying to reach homeostasis (normal state of balance). So basically a pipe or cigar is less likely to get you hooked then a cig. So basically it's not just what we've observed it's biology that says pipes are less addicting.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
how quickly a drug enters ones bloodstream and then brain are a huge factor in how addicting a drug is. You can get just as addicted. A nicotine takes longer to get through the mucus membrane in the mouth and then the blood has to travel the whole way through the body which takes about a minute give or take to get into the brain. Two really clear examples of how absorption rates effect addiction would be opiates and how they're administered and sipping a martini versus slamming shots. Injections put whatever right into your blood stream. If you inject an opiate you'll develop an addiction much faster then with pills or snorting (if you develop a full blown addiction it will be just as bad it just takes longer). Ever notice you get crazier if you drink the same number of shots then if you sip the same amount of alcohol? Basically when it's slowly introduced into your system your body has the time to compensate and adjust when it's dumped in quickly like through smoke in your lungs or other chemical aids(cigs have additives to get nicotine into your system faster and also out of your system faster). A slow introduction doesn't create a spike so the body doesn't have to scramble and also reacts less violently in trying to reach homeostasis (normal state of balance). So basically a pipe or cigar is less likely to get you hooked then a cig. So basically it's not just what we've observed it's biology that says pipes are less addicting.
That's true for those who don't inhale.
I inhale, not every puff of course but that's why I chose to stock my 'cellar' with blends that have no more than mild Vit N.
Although I've enjoyed a nic-hit since I was way too young, the point of switching to a pipe was to ditch the addiction. It worked for me.

The reason why heroin addicts inject is for the rush alone. [That's why it's said that heroin addicts are "chasing their first hit"]
I've seen people, [mostly young girls with a history of abuse] become psychologically addicted from their very first hit. [because heroin numbs ALL pain, physically, emotionally and psychologically]

From the age of 15yo I was a street kid who lived in the Darlinghurst squats on/off for a couple of years.
The red-light district of Kings Cross was my backyard.
Within the first week living there I was offered every available street drug including heroin.
Thank goodness that I wasn't completely stupid back then.

Although I'm convinced that some of the 300+ chems that are added to cigarettes are a bigger problem than Vit N [addiction wise] , I'm not willing to put it to the test by trying pipe blends with above mild levels of nicotine.
I'm content to smoke what I've got.