PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
After a few months of consideration I’ve finally decided to let go of my pipe and tobacco hobby. Now I’ve got to find the best way of selling off everything, both pipes and tobacco. I’d like to sell all of pipes in one fell swoop and later sell the tobacco in small batches.

I guess I’d like so helpful suggestions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After a few months of consideration I’ve finally decided to let go of my pipe and tobacco hobby. Now I’ve got to find the best way of selling off everything, both pipes and tobacco. I’d like to sell all of pipes in one fell swoop and later sell the tobacco in small batches.

I guess I’d like so helpful suggestions.
Steve Fallon (pipestud) can take care of you.?

Fallon-Chicago-Show-Photo-1-e1557488952611.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the motion. Steve's a real pipe guy and will do you right at a fair commission.

That being said, I strongly suggest you keep a set of your six favorite pipes and ten unopened tins of your preferred tobacco. Tuck them in a safe place, so if you ever change your mind, you won't be starting over from scratch. I did this before a long stretch -- quitting the pipe in solidarity with my late wife who valiantly quit a heavy cigarette habit. I mean, we'd go out at three in the morning when she was grading finals to buy her more nails -- a serious habit. You can't anticipate the future. Or you might be one who wants to smoke a bowl once a year on Christmas Eve or something. I still have the first pipe I ever bought, and it looks great and smokes well, a Tinder Box St. Ives, probably made by Chacom.

Last edited:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Those sellers will do right by you. But you lose the commission. My suggestion, sell your items on the board.

Pricing is of course critical. My time is also important. Bumping the thread for months is not for me. I start with the best retail price I can find minus 20%. That's a starting price. If the item doesn't sell at that price I keep lowering it until I force someone to buy. At that point I don't care how much I lose, I just want the sale and I want the sale to be over.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Those sellers will do right by you. But you lose the commission. My suggestion, sell your items on the board.

Pricing is of course critical. My time is also important. Bumping the thread for months is not for me. I start with the best retail price I can find minus 20%. That's a starting price. If the item doesn't sell at that price I keep lowering it until I force someone to buy. At that point I don't care how much I lose, I just want the sale and I want the sale to be over.

I agree with what @saltedplug just said - would love an opportunity here on the boards to see what you have available to smoke and for an opportunity at the pipes as well. As an aside, what led you to the decision to quit the pipe hobby? Just curious.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
All good suggestions.

I gave up smoking in the mid-'80s when we were expecting our 1st child, but I kept all my pipes. I have gifted a few of them in the past couple of years, but most of them are still enjoyed regularly to this day.
I bet you wouldn't have thought back in the 80's that we would have access to the internet and tobacco worldwide etc.. even at the cost it is now, the availability and information thanks to the internet etc is pretty extraordinary compared to the anti-smoking culture of today vs 1980's Australia.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I agree with what @saltedplug just said - would love an opportunity here on the boards to see what you have available to smoke and for an opportunity at the pipes as well. As an aside, what led you to the decision to quit the pipe hobby? Just curious.

Despite various health concerns I picked up the pipe out of an atavistic need and wanting to reconnect with my grandfather who died when I was a teenager. He smoked a pipe and his study smelled so great. I’ve smoked about all I want to smoke and I don’t want to get addicted again. I smoked cigarettes since my time in the service and just quit cold turkey several years ago. I now want to direct my time, interest and money into other things.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Some US sellers sell over seas on eBay and they bring more money.

selling individually you’ll get the most money. Selling all at once you’ll get about 1/3 of what they are worth.

highly suggest posting tobacco on this site.

As far as pipes, are you wanting the most money, or the most convenient?

im sure there are deep pockets here… short arms too. Lol.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Despite various health concerns I picked up the pipe out of an atavistic need and wanting to reconnect with my grandfather who died when I was a teenager. He smoked a pipe and his study smelled so great. I’ve smoked about all I want to smoke and I don’t want to get addicted again. I smoked cigarettes since my time in the service and just quit cold turkey several years ago. I now want to direct my time, interest and money into other things.
For 35 years I was terribly addicted to the lung busters. Couldn't go 30 minutes before I'd start craving.

Over 11 years ago I switched to pipes and have not had a ciggie since, nor wanted one.

All the blends that I smoke have no more than mild nicotine - although having said that, my research and talking to others leads me to believe that nicotine, in moderation, is not as addictive as we've been led to believe.

Tailor made cigs have a staggering 300+ added chemicals, many of which are more addictive than the nicotine itself [and responsible for 99% of smoking related disease]

Now I can go all day without a smoke and not even notice when otherwise occupied, so despite the several bowls of tobacco that I smoke most days, I'm no longer addicted.

Many here smoke rather strong blends [that would turn me green] and say how they go days without due to lack of spare time. If they were addicted they'd find the time, lol.

I second the advise to hang onto several of your favourite pipes and to keep [at least] your tinned tobacco. It will only improve with age and go up in value [Aged tins especially sell for good money]

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I bet you wouldn't have thought back in the 80's that we would have access to the internet and tobacco worldwide etc.. even at the cost it is now, the availability and information thanks to the internet etc is pretty extraordinary compared to the anti-smoking culture of today vs 1980's Australia.
No internet then. Just B&M tobacconists - so rather limited choice of pipes and tobacco.
The internet has been a source of great temptation and a portal/blackhole where a LOT of money disappears into and pipes and tobacco (that I never thought I'd need) gets spat out a few weeks later :LOL:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First off @crawdad, don't feel like you need to s old to be welcome here. There are quite a few guys who are 'in it for the pipes' and some are just here for the camaraderie.

Secondly, @pipestud is always summoned to these threads, lol.

Thirdly, consider keeping a pipe or two in case you change your mind in a few years. The pipes will age fine.