PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruddog

Lurker
Jun 12, 2011
I have seen some pretty sharp pipes that are wrapped in leather. What is the idea behind them other than the aesthetics? They look pretty cool and I was just curious.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tarzan's Pipes

tarzan2.jpg

tarzan7.jpg

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Is it if You have a oops making a pipe You can cover it in leather call it $$$$$. I don't know.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They became popular just after WWII. The GI's were buying them in Europe and coming home with them. They look cool and, as Arthur said, manly. I never had one but I'd expect that the leather insulates the bowl as well so handling is cooler. Maybe.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The original Longchamps pipes used some decent briar. I have seen a few of the later ones though with missing covers that had hidden some nasty fills.

fruddog

Lurker
Jun 12, 2011
Since posting this, I ran into a leather wrapped Bulldog online for only $15. Maybe it is covering some sort of imperfection.
-Clayton_

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I think they look interesting, and may make the pipe cooler to hold. I'm not sure thats such a good thing though. I generally use the heat of the pipe to gauge whether it needs a few seconds to cool down. That and I can't help but wonder, with everyone else, as to why you would cover up a nice piece of briar?

bgbarcus

Lurker
Feb 15, 2010
I have a leather wrapped Savinelli Canadian that my Dad bought in the 70's. I'm not a fan of the look but the pipe is very light weight, smokes great and the leather does seem to help keep the bowl from getting hot to hold. Neither he nor I ever did anything to treat or take care of the leather but it still looks nice and shows no signs of cracking or shrinking. I suspect the pipe manufacturers liked leather as they didn't have to worry about any sort of staining or other prettying up of the pipe and it covered minor flaws in the briar.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Back in the 1950s-60s I owned a leather covered Longchamps....It was never a good smoking pipe. My experience may be the unique bad one....but I have no intention of owning another one.... :crazy:

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
In the past, many meerschaums came wrapped in a tight leather glove. This was supposed to help with the coloring because it keeps your fingers off the pipe. That was the theory, but I've heard it doesn't work that well.
I've always thought a leather covered billiard was the ultimate in sophistication. I have yet to acquire one, however.

extreme122

Lurker
Jul 13, 2011
I have a Longchamp pipe that i've got from eBay 2 years ago, it was unsmoked and i paid something like 20 bucks.
Apart from the amazing look it smokes cooler than regular pipes.
dsc03187da.jpg

dsc03191t.jpg

dsc03188h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.