PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Many of our pipe sponsors sell tobacco pouches, and/or combo with a pipe carrier. (I had a new Comoy's single pipe/tobacco pouch listed for sale here, but pulled it and decide to use it).
I'd start with SmokingPipes, they likely have the largest selection.

Reactions: PaulRVA and OzPiper

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
View attachment 240414
A couple pics of the one I use so you can see how it folds.
thanks for the pics. does the gusseted area on the sides in pic 2 extend all the way down the sides to the bottom of the pouch, or just part way down the sides? trying to get a feel for gussets and how they work for getting tobacco out easily, and how much they effect the cleaning of the latex?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
View attachment 240414
A couple pics of the one I use so you can see how it folds.
I’m a roll up snob, if you will. I used oilskins for decades, but they have pretty well disappeared (there are some available from a few UK vendors, but they’re much smaller than the old style), this Merchant Service is about the best thing going now.
I put about a pound a month through it, and it’s holding up really well.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’m a roll up snob, if you will. I used oilskins for decades, but they have pretty well disappeared (there are some available from a few UK vendors, but they’re much smaller than the old style), this Merchant Service is about the best thing going now.
I put about a pound a month through it, and it’s holding up really well.
Yeah I love mine too. I smoke about half that much a month and it’s holding up. Been probably a year and a half or so.

Reactions: jpberg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
thanks for the pics. does the gusseted area on the sides in pic 2 extend all the way down the sides to the bottom of the pouch, or just part way down the sides? trying to get a feel for gussets and how they work for getting tobacco out easily, and how much they effect the cleaning of the latex?
Once you open it up you can just scoop the tobacco into your pipe. The gussets are flexible once the pouch is opened but still keep everything fresh when it’s closed . I’ve never cleaned the pouch so I don’t know how they affect cleaning.

Reactions: simong and jpberg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What's rugby? Is that like some European version of a real sport like American Football? :ROFLMAO: puffy
Over half of American footballers would be dead by halftime playing a game of real Rugby. And they don't stop every 30-60 seconds to catch their breath or adjust their jock straps.

Most of the professional Ruggers in the middle look like thugs to me, but gets better on the edges.

This from a true 49er's fan.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Over half of American footballers would be dead by halftime playing a game of real Rugby. And they don't stop every 30-60 seconds to catch their breath or adjust their jock straps.

Most of the professional Ruggers in the middle look like thugs to me, but gets better on the edges.

I’m with you on WRs, QBs, & linemen not being able to play rugby but you really don’t think NFL linebackers, tightends, or running backs coulda played rugby if they had been exposed to it from a young age?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
It is…….but without the safety helmets, padding, endless time outs & worst of all, no cheerleaders!🙁
We’ll have the rugby World Cup starting up shortly, you should check it out. I think the US are in it, don’t want to hang about though, they’ll probably be exiting early.😄
Haha I know right. The US team would probably poop their pants if they had to face New Zealand or Australia.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If you want something that is incredible you could a get leather pouch of just about anything you desire but be prepared to pay for it. I got one of alligator hide 10 years ago and it costs me $75. Let me know and I'll have the guy get in touch with you.

Not sure if my suggestion is the same guy or a different one but if you’re up to spend the money I think Bob Oswald (Whitewood Leather) does amazing work in a variety of standard leathers and exotic skins.

Reactions: kcghost

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Used to be called "thug-by"

Characterised (some years ago) by the "softening up period" (after the whistle blows for game begin) whereby the forwards belt the shit out of one another to intimidate the other team. And the referees pretend something got into their eyes so they couldn't see what was going on :rolleyes:

There was a real concern that the game was going to die off because mothers were stopping their sons from playing the game.
So the powers that be enacted rule changes to ban such tactics and to get women back into the game.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

Lol
You want to check out the fellas who play Rugby league! Rugby union is/was more of a gentlemanly game. Favoured by the toffs, professionals & such. League on the other hand was always favoured by the working class. Miners, ne’er do wells, murderers, northerners & Australians.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Not sure if my suggestion is the same guy or a different one but if you’re up to spend the money I think Bob Oswald (Whitewood Leather) does amazing work in a variety of standard leathers and exotic skins.
Bob is the guy. He'll make something beautiful out of your worst enemy. The only thing negative about it to some people is that he has to kill an animal to do it.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Newbie question...

Looking for a quality leather tobacco pouch that will last a reasonable amount of time before wearing out. Any recommendations from your experiences?
I have a Rogers Air-tite from the 60s? 70s? Still in perfect condition, I see them on ebay from time to time if you spot one in good condition get it. I got this one from my brothers old homeowner who left this, a pipe rack and 6 pipes all from the late 60's behind when my brother bought the place.
IMG_1661.jpgIMG_1662.jpgIMG_1663.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Lol
You want to check out the fellas who play Rugby league! Rugby union is/was more of a gentlemanly game. Favoured by the toffs, professionals & such. League on the other hand was always favoured by the working class. Miners, ne’er do wells, murderers, northerners & Australians.
I see you haven’t forgiven the Aussies for winning the Rugby League “World Cup” for the last 50 years rotf

• Sad
Reactions: simong and jpmcwjr