PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I didn't mention eBay so I don't know where you're going with your comment. A lot of estate dealers attend pipe shows and buy and sell pipes.

I have lots of high end FleaBay pipes. In fact most of my highest-high end pipes were purchased from reputable FleaBay sellers like Deadmanspipes and Lumpyslures (he sold a lot of FishnBanjo's pipes for the Estate).

If you know what you are looking for and looking at, OR the pipe has a strong provenance (Like FishnBanjo's pipes were all discussed on here by himself), you stand to get a good deal on a great pipe.

I just looked at my cabinets and of the 42 high end pipes I own, 34 of them are Estates, many from FleaBay.

Four of my most expensive pipes ($1000 - $3000) were purchased on layaway. You know, even the most expensive pipes aren't out of our reach. How many things do you own over $2000? Guns, appliances, jewelry, TVs, computers? For most, it's merely impossible to justify.
To me, I will never be able to own most luxury things, like very high end cars or motorcycles, but luxury pipes are not that crazy out of reach at all, if you think about it. It just depends on whether you want it that badly or not.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I tell you what… I will lease you my wife's Scottie Piersel for $500 over 12 mo + interest. We'll call it $50.00/mo. Or, we can do a two year plan at $25.00/ mo.

During the period of the lease, you may only smoke the pipe once every two weeks to allow for proper rest. You may only smoke approved tobacco blends in the pipe. You must clean the pipe thoroughly between each smoke with approved cleaning materials purchased from an approved realtor.

Any breach of this contract will be grounds for your prompt return of said pipe and complete forfeiture of all monies invested up to the point of breach, plus a 10% restocking and cleaning fee.

Of course, this is all pending a credit & reference check. ?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
As mentioned, w/estate pipes there would not be a market. Plus, there are many quality pipes, like Rossi, which you can buy new for around $40’ish… but I’ve never even leased a car, so what do I know ??‍♂️

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I tell you what… I will lease you my wife's Scottie Piersel for $500 over 12 mo + interest. We'll call it $50.00/mo. Or, we can do a two year plan at $25.00/ mo.

During the period of the lease, you may only smoke the pipe once every two weeks to allow for proper rest. You may only smoke approved tobacco blends in the pipe. You must clean the pipe thoroughly between each smoke with approved cleaning materials purchased from an approved realtor.

Any breach of this contract will be grounds for your prompt return of said pipe and complete forfeiture of all monies invested up to the point of breach, plus a 10% restocking and cleaning fee.

Of course, this is all pending a credit & reference check. ?
You must have some sort of financial background.

Well done. I approve (not that my approval means anything).

You can tighten up your rights by including an acceleration provision with all monies due under the contract, including attorney fees for enforcement and collections.

Reactions: Streeper541

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I may work if smoking the pipe is not allowed. Somewhat like an art rental/lease. You’d be able to fondle the pipe, but smoking it is out of the question.

I would think most collectors of unique and/or expensive pieces would be worried about the pipe getting damaged or ‘disappearing’.

Reactions: sandollars

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
When I was much younger my dad, who liked to sail, belonged to a club where for a fixed annual membership fee you could reserve and use any one of the club’s many boats. You see where I’m headed…

Say a club is established to own and circulate pipes between its members, rather like an old-fashioned lending library. Some number of guys put in $x each annually plus an initiation fee. In exchange each is allowed to borrow any of the club’s pipes for up to y weeks. They have to return that pipe to get another. Any damage or loss is covered by the initiation fee (which could alternatively be structured as a refundable deposit) plus of course insurance for pipes in transit.

Depending on the target market the fee could be quite high and the pipes all worth many thousands each, or something much lower and the collection more moderate; different clubs could offer specialized collections to address any of a dozen niches (by artisan, shape, era, etc).

Of course the hygiene issue would be addressed by a full time staff dedicated to thorough cleaning and repairs between loans. Plus now that I think of it you'd need clubhouses; nothing too extravagant, just a ski chalet in the Rockies, something on a private island in the Caribbean, a brownstone on the UES, and maybe a Gulfstream to facilitate club events.

Status
Not open for further replies.