PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
The advent of the $400 plus pipes, maybe this could be a good deal for both sides. It seems to work with vehicles, why not pipes out our reach? Time is the difference from lease or rent. The pipe could be sent back for for cleaning under a full service type, teeth chatter and rim burn could be deducted from down payment. Stipulations such as using only non cased tobac could be built in. Is this just a pipe dream or would it fly in today’s market?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some high end pipes, gifts or bought on extreme one-time sales. I couldn't buy my Ser Jacopo as an estate for what I paid for it new, and thank you SP. I think this lease concept is a good one for folks who really need to smoke only high end pipes. I wouldn't insult them by suggesting they check out what you can get for $40 in the Kaywoodie line, or for $50 or $60 in a Rossi.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For luxury goods, even the more high end pipes are relatively inexpensive. I personally would never rent a pipe.

Brian, or one of his guests mentioned layaway pipes on the show, that would be something I might do, if I were in the market for another pipe.
These days I’m just focusing on stocking up pipe cleaners.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t know if SP still does this but if you called up and spoke with CS, they would happily work out a type of layaway plan for you. Of course, you don’t get the pipe until you pay in full. This may be a thing of the past though, they used to throw in free “samples” with your orders! One of my free samples was a 7oz/200g tin of PH Special Curly. They legally can’t do that anymore.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and HopHand
Seriously, Pipes are pretty personal items and I, for one, would never share any of my high end pipes with a family member let alone a stranger. Frankly, I have a Katwoodie that smokes as well as my Jess Chonowitsch.... I have never smoked a bad Northern Briars pipe and they sell for a fraction of the tax on a chonowitsch.

Just saying....

Oh, can I borrow your tooth brush? puffy

This used to be the case in the taverns of Europe back in the 1700s. Clay pipes would hang from the ceiling, and if you wanted a bowl you would buy the tobacco and “rent” the pipe from the establishment. I don’t think these were Dunhills and Castello tho.
Weren't they extra long so you could break off the tip for a fresh start? Maybe I'm mistaken....

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Weren't they extra long so you could break off the tip for a fresh start? Maybe I'm mistaken....
@sandollars I think you're right, they were cleaned in the oven or fire between smokes. I'm thinking of trying the fire cleaning if I ever take part in re-enactment around a fire...
When I went to the Georgian weekend at Cromford Mill the blacksmith lit my clay pipe with an ember from his forge!

Reactions: sandollars

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Seriously, Pipes are pretty personal items and I, for one, would never share any of my high end pipes with a family member let alone a stranger. Frankly, I have a Katwoodie that smokes as well as my Jess Chonowitsch.... I have never smoked a bad Northern Briars pipe and they sell for a fraction of the tax on a chonowitsch.

Just saying....

Oh, can I borrow your tooth brush? puffy
My tooth brush will be included in a short term lease only, no borrow clause.

Reactions: sandollars

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The advent of the $400 plus pipes, maybe this could be a good deal for both sides. It seems to work with vehicles, why not pipes out our reach? Time is the difference from lease or rent. The pipe could be sent back for for cleaning under a full service type, teeth chatter and rim burn could be deducted from down payment. Stipulations such as using only non cased tobac could be built in. Is this just a pipe dream or would it fly in today’s market?
I'm sure if a pipe shop thought there was money in loaning pipes for $, or even free to try, they would already be doing it in some form, maybe some have "loaners" customers can try in the shop or even take home, lots of shops out there and I'd bet some have done something like this over the years.

In general, wouldn't seem to be any significant market for it at all. Easy to find affordable pipes and enjoy smoking a pipe and totally apples to grapefruit as far as vehicles are concerned.

As some sort of "program" - given the lack of market, why would anyone invest in all that goes with coming up with a rental agreement, the hassles of having to repo a pipe (lol - especially if it's not purely local and frankly, even if it is), setting up a system to process payments and the collection aspects? I'd say the basics have been skipped on the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.