PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
A delivery of 5 tins came in after 8 pm last night and sat outside all night in freezing temps. I noticed it at 8am this morning and brought it in.....Will this cause any ill effects to the tobacco?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes. The extreme temperature "cycling" can compromise the seals of square and screw-off type lids. And I seem to recall that Greg Pease advised against exposure to freezing temps because it damages the leaf in some way. I'll search for the reference.
Found it! In "Ask GL Pease", vol 22.
Freezing would slow things down still further, but the damage to the structure of the leaf might affect the its smoking characteristics in ways that we won’t like.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I could guess based on what I know about frostbite. Water expands when freezing, this can lead to water crystals breaking cell membranes. If there is damage to your tobacco it would only be on the micro level of cell integrity. This could cause it to age more quickly or in a less desirable way. In the short term I don't think there would be any noticeable differences. I honestly think it will still last a long time without problems, the potential damage is only a guess of what could've changed. Our packaged tobacco isn't prone to spoiling compared to many other consumables.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would just return it. Leaving a package in the snow overnight is cause for damage. Let UPS pay for their mistake.
I know that the UPS and USPS people are saying they are just overwhelmed this Christmas, and I have sympathy, but let's face it, every human is a martyr unless reality is enforced. And the fact is that they botched a delivery, and they need to absorb that cost.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Smoke it! No need to throw it away.
I've had tins sit out in cold weather and freeze. No major ill effects that I could notice.
What I do now though is bring the box in, but leave it unopened for a bit to try and wàrm the tins slowly. The freeze/thaw cycle might affect the tin seal.
Check the seal on each tin. In my experience they only rarely fail but it could happen.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IIRC Greg advises against freezing as a storage method.
I very much doubt any ill effects of sitting overnight on a porch will have occurred. The tobacco itself may not even have reached freezing temps, being inside packages, and next to the house.
EDIT: What stick framer writes.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I put them in the refrigerator for two or three hours to bring the temp back up slowly. I won't throw them out, was really pissed off when I wrote that. (They almost went for a field goal over my neighbor's house across the street ) I have enough trouble as it is tasting the flavors in the tobacco's, so I don't want to start off behind the 8 ball. I'll check the tins to make sure their tight and put them in the closet. Funny thing is when tobacco's get delivered up north ( i'm in Connecticut ) they might get left on a truck overnight or something in freezing weather and you don't know about it...but now that I know, I'll be looking for something wrong when I smoke it....always something !!

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Many times I have buckets of water sitting on my porch in freezing weather that do not freeze. It takes time, and exposure (wind.) Knowing that there was at least cardboard between the weather and your tobacco should have prevented most chances of harm. Freezing isn't always harmful to cells, it can be the best preservative at times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

In any case, if you intend to smoke within the next 6 months it should taste the same. If the seals are still intact it should cellar for much longer without any worry.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Checked all the tins and they are all intact !! Guess it could have been worse if I had gone out this morning and didn't see them ( I go in and out of my house thru the side kitchen door...they leave deliveries at the front door ) and they would have been sitting there even longer.( Oh Lord ! )

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
This is UPS delivery times from UPS.com 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (and sometimes later) to residences
What can you challenge when they have the "sometimes later" clause? Unless it is a package which requires a signature I don't see what there is to complain about. Paying for express or premium delivery service is always an option. Paying for cheaper delivery options gets cheaper services.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
This was delivered by USPS. If there was damage ( broken glass, tins that popped open etc. ) you might be able to do something...and even that would probably be a long drawn out battle. Being that there wasn't any damage and using a defense that there might be a loss of flavor or something or nothing down the road is probably a lost cause..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ever the optimist (or I really try most of the time), I'd jar it and that will prompt you to smoke it sooner, and get the value from it. I certainly don't recommend freezing leaf, but I think chances are the damage is nonexistent. I don't adjust easily to loss of daylight, but also this year I notice that the U.S. mail comes in well after dark, often after 8 p.m. I've started getting it in the morning when I fetch the newspaper. Our friends, not just our neighbors, tell us they have the same experience. My wife's theory is that along with the Christmas rush, people are taking their use-or-lose annal leave and one person is doing two or three routes. I took boxes to the P.O. last evening, and to their credit, they stayed open to finish up people waiting in line, although they stopped people from joining the line after closing. I thanked the clerk for staying late.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Doling battle with entities that has lawyers on staff is useless. Bitching to customer service is a waste of time. They're told to listen empathically but give nothing in terms of money or service. I've gotten redress made 5% of the time.
UPS will tell you, more or less, "f*ck off!."

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
How did those tins get to the retailer? On a truck. An non-insulated truck.
I have a couple tins that stay in my car's glovebox. They freeze, they thaw, they still smoke just fine.
Don't worry, enjoy.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
How did those tins get to the retailer? On a truck. An non-insulated truck.

That depends on the tins.............. I think Bengal slices tins are delivered on the backs of tortoises, or snails, possibly....... But, still exposed to the cold, no less!............ :rofl:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Beefy,
Standard Tobacco's Bengal Slices tins are made one at a time, from recycled, sustainably sourced metal, scavenged by hand by organically-certified children from some of the finest garbage heaps that the underdeveloped world has to offer. This is an integral part of our company's concerted commitment to sustainability and meaningful employment.
The tobacco is grown, one plant at a time, on thousands of windowsills and balconies of third-world festering tenements throughout the third world, giving an alternative income stream to otherwise desperate and despondent slum dwellers. This is our way of giving back to the less fortunate.
Once the tobacco is blended and tinned (a simple process that only takes a few minutes per ton), it is loaded onto the Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania corporate jet, which Simon pilots around the country, and quickly distributed to our many retailers.
But at present, our total output is only around seven tins per month, so we've had some difficulty filling all of our orders in a timely manner. Rest assured though that we have contracted with three more highly skilled trash picking children in Manila and hope to double our tin production over the next year or so.
dezeen_-density-high-density-high-rise-housing-in-mongkok-composite-building-at-sai-yee-street-by-aedas_4.jpg

One of our many urban tobacco farms

anlong-pi-rubbish-dump-siem-reap.jpg

Recent hires in the Tin Production Division will soon help us double our output.
In reality, Bengal Slices is produced by Sutliff, and they do so at a seemingly glacial pace. We have no control over their production schedule, or lack thereof.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is the best supplement for "being the better person" and accepting lower quality goods and services:
https://www.astroglide.com/
You can never use too much, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.