PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi again chaps, I remembered another I disliked for the same reason, Squadron Leader by Sam Gawith.
Unfortunately you guys are all suggesting blends that are simply not available here in the UK, besides, all I really wanted to know was if there was a difference twixt the two types of baccy.
"You would do yourself a disservice by writing off all oriental blends based on a distaste for latakia."
Click that is precisely what I want to avoid doing hence my initial query.
Regards,
Jay.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Not all latakia tobaccos are equal.
Pardon? Unless you are distinguishing between Syrian and Cyprian, there is no difference.
Erinmore Balkan Blend and Early Morning Pipe & Nightcap,
I haven't smoked the Erinmore, but EMP is oriental forward, with not much lat at all, while Nightcap is a lat bomb that also has perique.

Maybe try Presbyterian Mixture? That has very little lat, has orientals, and has stood the test of time. :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Three blends that spring to mind that I disliked were Erinmore Balkan Blend and Early Morning Pipe & Nightcap, both by Dunghill.
I was going to comment on this one, then I saw this:
The Early Morning Pipe is the most inoffensive blend I've ever tried; the delicious Latakia aroma upon opening the tin doesn't seem to come out in the smoke.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Oriental/Turkish: is a type of tobacco. It is sun cured and has natural aromatic oils. You may get sour, dry, tad sweet and tad spicy notes while smoking an Oriental tobacco. It leaves anise-like aftertaste in your mouth (at least for me).
Latakia: is a treatment method. Sun cured Orientals are smoke cured to obtain Latakia. You may get smokey, woodsy notes while smoking it. It will leave a long term smokey and dry aftertaste in your mouth.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Jay, I have a blend I'd like to recommend to you: GLPs Cairo... listed as happy boon to both lovers of Virginias AND Orientals! (And no lat)(I hope it's available to you... I'd bet you'd enjoy it!)
jpmcwjr, do you know where I might acquire large quantities of Charlize BO Blend? Enough so I can fill the tub with it and roll in it! Bulk rates/discounts perhaps?!

Jun 27, 2016
Not all latakia tobaccos are equal.

Jud

Pardon? Unless you are distinguishing between Syrian and Cyprian, there is no difference.
Not to drive the thread too far off course, but I do notice a difference between McClellands bulk Cyprian and the bulk Cyprian that pipes & cigars sells. Those are the only two pure blending Cyprians that I have, but I want to buy a little Stokkebye blending Latakia to see if that is different yet again.
I have noticed that sometimes some Orientals and some Latakias will get a jar-funk going that smells like BO, but that usually dissipates if I let it air out for a few seconds, and honestly I have not noticed it in the smoke.
OP should find a way to try some of the Grand Orientals line. How come you can't get those mawnansmiff? Drama Reserve is a favorite straight smoke here, Katerini Classic and Yenidje Supreme are mild in flavor and are similar to each-other but would be fun to blend with, while Yenice Agonya is somewhat stronger and different in flavor than those two. Smyrna #1 and Classic Samsun are different again, and I have not tried the Black Sea Sokhoum, but that has Latakia in it. I think that someone is coming out with a straight blending Yenidje in a can, so that might be interesting when it comes out.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"How come you can't get those mawnansmiff?"
Balkisobrains, I thought I had made it clear, I am in the UK and many of the suggested blends are simply not available here.
I now have a couple of blends in mind that contain oriental but no Latakia that are available here.
Thanks Jerwynn but I am not aware of any supplier here that stock Pease's blends.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nor can I find any of the Charlize Blend. Damn!
jpmcwjr, do you know where I might acquire large quantities of Charlize BO Blend? Enough so I can fill the tub with it and roll in it! Bulk rates/discounts perhaps?!

Jun 27, 2016
Found your thread about importing tobacco to the U.K., I understand your frustration, although I don't know much about how they tax you over there.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/uk-importer-of-us-blends
Are you able to get any cured full-leaf tobacco or individual Oriental bulk blending components inside of the U.K. or from somewhere on your side of the pond? I did that over here with some Yenidje full-leaf and it was affordable and a decent value, although I had to sort and de-stem it all and store it in mason jars at the right moisture level. Then I just chop up some with scissors if I want to use it. I'm learning that the different Orientals seem to have a lot of flavor variety so you probably want to try five or six or more different blends or straight types where you know exactly what the Orientals are.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Update: I have now ordered Mac Baren's Acadian Perique (with 'oriental') and Dunghill Ready Rubbed that claims oriental/Turkish components.
Tomorrow should prove to be either interesting or disappointing, either way I shall know if I like 'oriental' tobacco or not.
Thanks again for your input chaps.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various blends or single-leaf smell less than good to me, usually in the tin but not when smoked, but I've never experienced the body odor smell from any of them, including many Latakia blends. I don't doubt you are smelling that, but it may be an individual sensory trait. Some tobacco smells like stable sweepings to me, and others have agreeable smells like the often cited grassy or nutty smells. I'd try around, ordering smallest available quantities, to see what is least objectionable. If most Lat smells bad, just avoid Lat. Today, there are many other flavoring tobaccos to enjoy--the ever-popoular Perique, but also Cavendish, dark-fired, Orientals, Turkish, cigar leaf and others. You can find blends with these, or buy them as blending tobaccos and add them at will.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I think some people may be thinking of a different body odor than mawnansmiff is referencing. Unfortunately, the world of body odors is quite varied in its heinousness, and there is a particular musty, almost smoky sort of BO that latakia might smell like. It is an unflattering comparison to be sure, much like the urinal cake to Lakelands comparison, and not a comparison I would use myself. But like the urinal cake comparison, I can understand what he's reaching for with that simile.
Let us know how you like the Acadian Perique. As I understand it, it's essentially a Virgina/Perique blend with some other leaves thrown in--Burley, Orientals, etc. Actually, from the description, it sounds a bit similar to Savinelli's Doblone D'oro, which I believe MacBaren actually blends.

Jun 27, 2016
Can you get a selection of full-leaf or processed individual Oriental components over there? It's a lot harder to pick out Orientals from within overly complex or spray-flavored blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.