PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Having only begun to enjoy English Tobacco, within the last 2 or 3 months.
I have been ordering and trying a myriad of English Latakia blends, and I cant seem to get enough of the stuff
So far my favorites are (in no specific order):

McLelland Bombay Extra

SG Skiff

SG Commonwealth Mixture

PaylessPipies Dunhill 956 with added Latakia and Oriental
What would you guys recommend???????

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Thanks, I have only tried 1 FM / Frog Morton on the Bayou, IMHO its similar to the McLellands Bombay Extra, but I would say The Bombay Extra has the edge for me.
I have Frog Morton & Frog Morton Across the Pond to try in the next few days.

HH Vintage Syrian I opened a tin of this about 2 months ago, at start of Latakia Exploration. I don't have any thing bad to say about it. But it just does not have the flavor I want
I find I want a heavy to wake up (SG Commonwealth, Skiff, Bombay Extra seems to me a good first pipe) and if I am feeling all piped out, thing something milder in a small pipe like SG Squadron Leader or Dunhill EM copy for the last smoke
But then I prefer the taste of 5 yr old rum and dislike the taste of 12 yr old rum

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The vanilla is not strong at all. I can barely taste it. It is there more as a condiment than a flavoring, IMO.
The Latakia is not very strong, that is why I said it is on the lighter side, lol.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme

Rattray Accountants Mixture

Peter Stokkebye Proper English

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
You are welcome. I was the same way. When I smoked my 1st english, I knew I had tapped into a rich vein.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Discovering Latakia
Its, like you have been eating canned sardines your whole life and someone just gave you your first Fresh Lobster Tail with Garlic Butter
Old Ironsides, always wanted to try that and the Tin is pretty with the Constitution

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Old Ironsides
Been to SmokingPipes.com, Tobaco Place, PipesandCigars. com, Iwan Ries, JrCigars.com and at least 5 other sites
Nada, Nil
It seems to be discontinued.
I just remembered, there was none available when I last bought at Pipesand Cigars.com, thats why I did not include in order
Any Idea who may have some????

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
This Raspberry Ice Tea, really brings out the flavor in Latakia Blends
a salty sweet taste 5 Yumyums
0004100011976_215X215.jpg

http://www.liptont.com/our_products/tea_mix/mix_sweet_raspberry.aspx

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I also drink Iced tea while I smoke. It does seem to compliment the taste. I brew teabags and melt in some raw sugar. Yummo.

troutbum

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
I, too, share your particular fondness for latakia. I highly recommend C&D's Mississippi Mud, Samuel Gawith's Balkan Blend, and a blend I designed for Watch City Cigar called The Churchwarden. The problem with latakia is that once you get that weed in your blood stream everything else seems rather pale in comparison. Snobbery, indeed! It could be a lot worse: You could be addicted not only to latakia, but bamboo fly rods as well. Add those two liabilities to decided preference for single malt whisky and you'll soon discover the meaning of poverty—especially you buy Calvinistic theological tomes to impart some guilt suitable to your decadence. Trust me, I know whereof I speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.