PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga

... that one slipped by a lot of folks.
Fromunda cheese is considered a delicacy in many 3rd world countries such as China and Canada, and many unknown parts of the planet Mars. This special kind of cheese was first conceived in Australia hence the 'fromunda' in the name. Up until 1989 it was called Fromdownunda cheese, but ever since the Hawaii-Australian war of 1978, Australia has frantically tried to stop the phrase 'from down under' being associated with them in any way.

6rluma.jpg

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Not smells, but when I smoke it I sometimes get a taste that's reminiscent of Burger King burgers...

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'd say more like a Swiss Gruyere cheese scent.

Yes, I'd say this is dead on. The high notes of cyprian latakia, particularly from C&D sourced leaves (including gl Pease) do have, ime, a lot of similarity to Gruyere. Syrian latakia does not, so that may be worth a look for you. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned pine. I suspect the cheese note comes from the way the leaf is smoked rather than the leaf itself.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
That's too bad. After having read the reviews, I really imagined myself enjoying Quiet Nights.

Would you happen to know whether or not black house contained Syrian or Cyprian latakia?

Is Syrian impossible to come by now days?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Haven't tried Quiet Nights. The thing about the cheese is that I don't think it makes much of an impact when burning. It floats on top and gets overpowered by most of the other flavors when smoked. Smoke it if you haven't yet. That note, by the way, is often present in wood ash. Think of burning pine when you smoke it (they may use native pine when they smoke the latakia), it may help shift your mind away form cheese to nicer things. Good luck!

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Thanks, I actually did try twice. Both times the charing resulted in a flavor of the gasoline I'd taste when tanks rolled close by.

Once I got past the first few sips, I just couldn't get past the cheesiness.

That's not to say that the tabby is damaged, on the contrary it is my palate that disagrees with the leaf.
Maybe I should just jar it away for awhile and give it a try later.
This has however made me slightly weary of buying anything else that contains latakia, and therefore I need to experiment with something with even less latakia than MM 965 or simply all out avoid it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Give McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian a try or MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian.
I smoked some 3 Oaks last night and it was delicious.
Also I've never noticed a cheese smell from any latakia Cypriot or Syrian.
Let us know what happens with the Black House. I love the stuff.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Gasoline? Tanks? Cheesiness? Tabbies? I think you need to visit a doctor who smokes pipes! :laughat:

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
We are but the sum of our experiences.

Mental associations are a major part of how we perceive.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
We are but the sum of our experiences.

Mental associations are a major part of how we perceive.
No doubt. Short of smoking a pipe with a singed twig and a cup of coffee grounds nearby for sniffing maybe you're best off parting ways with lat for now? How do you get on with VA flake?

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I absolutely love Virginia. Anniversary Kake is currently my favorite. The only full aromatic I founded subtle and non chemical in flavor is 1-Q.
I haven't smoked a burly forward blend just yet. For the sake of my marriage I try to go with blends that have a pleasant room tone.

I tried latakia out of curiosity.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is a slight cheesiness to it, now that I smell it wafting out of the pipe cupboard. Like a fermented smell. Perique smells more like a strange dried wine to me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I haven't smoked a burly forward blend just yet. For the sake of my marriage I try to go with blends that have a pleasant room tone.
I smoked some Union Square last week on the deck. Went inside to refill my tea cup and when I came back it smelled like passion fruit and cotton candy. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.