PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
It started with the faintest notes I picked up while sampling some Dunhill MM 965. I had no idea what it was, and simply put the Tabby away to settle.
Then, recently a shipment that I had received contained some Quiet Nights, and ad I popped the tin it smacked me square in the jaw.
QN is considered latakia forward, and so I must ask, am I the only one who notices a cheesiness to latakia or am I mixing up my tobaccos?
I haven't yet given up on it completely, and believe it might be an acquired taste, at least I hope so as I also happen to have a sealed tin of Black House!

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
My initial experience was a "Musty" smell, when dealing with Latakia I didn't know how to go about it. So, the first puff I dumped it out of the pipe, assumed something must be wrong. I pushed through it one day....now I really enjoy it. It's certainly different and was hard for me to get used to. Seems the smell being so pungent and unusual peoples explanations vary? I would imagine it is the Latakia you're smelling. While I don't know them all, nothing else really smells like it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've never detected a cheese flavor in any of the lat blends I've tried including Black House or MM 965. though I have gotten the vinegar or ketchup. notes on occasion from Black House and a few others. I could be more kind in describing it as a "savory" sort of taste, but it does sometimes seem sour.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It's funny how tastes change, my first Lat blend, I swear I could taste a faint pine or spruce presence but after putting it away and going back to it later I don't detect anything like that. What do you mean by cheesiness, cheddar ?

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
You may have tasted pine davet. from wikipedia about Latakia "Small smoldering fires of oak and pine fill the barn with smoke, and covering the leaves with smoke particles."

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I'd say more like a Swiss Gruyere cheese scent.

Most of my other Tabbys are of the sweeter note. My current go to being Anniversary Kake, 1-Q for work, Doblone d'Oro for zesty fruitiness.
It could be my difficulty adapting to none sweet, and more spicy Tabby flavors.
Could it be that I'm so used to desert that Latakia comes off slightly skewed?

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
My first bowl of latakia flooded my senses with memories of my days as an incense-swinging altar boy in the Catholic Church. I've never gotten that overpowering flavor since.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Regardless of aroma, how does it taste when lit? Often enough, stuff that doesn't please in-the-bag aroma smokes nicely.
At the same time, I sniffed some Smyrna today, and it reminded me greatly of my old out-of-print favorite, Burlington Arcade. And it smokes as well as that oldie, too, just great.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've seen tasting notes of cheese in some cigar reviews, I don't understand it though. Thousands of different ways to describe flavors in every kind of tasting I've discovered.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, it's certainly not toe cheese, nor Limburger, nor brie nor bleu. Camembert, maybe? Latakia smells more like smokey BBQ pit to me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The girls in my college classes likened the smell of latakia to cheese. Oh wait, it was to someone cutting the cheese.
If it smells like cheese, it would have to be smoked gouda or something. Basically latakia smells like a burned-out building on a damp day.

Status
Not open for further replies.