Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Not even in the same ballpark. Even Jim has commented on its uniqueness.
"The Vanilla Black Cavendish begins with the same toasted Green River Burley that used to make their top-selling BCA and the hot, new Dark Red. What makes this tobacco different is the deeply intense vanilla flavor that includes a hint of butterscotch."

Maybe the "butterscotch" is the mystery element that people are looking for.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
I am always interested in why people prefer one over the other. What do you prefer in in this Lane Vanilla?

I went through a phase where I was exploring vanilla aros. I found that most just overwhelmed the tobacco flavors. My favorite is Peter Stokkebye's Sweet Vanilla, because it is well balanced with the Virginias still shining through the flavors, and the vanilla is very subdued.
I first bought this stuff in 1980 and supplied from a humidor shop.
He called it "Black Lancer" which was basically Lane's Black Vanilla. This product had the sweetness inherent to a toasted cavendish but was enhanced by the vanilla (or maybe the butter scotch)
Everyone's taste is different but for me It came into the mouth deliciously.
Lane's BCA is not even close.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Sutliff has half a dozen vanilla black Cavendishes, and dozen or more vanilla aromatics. Have your tried all of them?
Nope.
Just thought their simply labeled "Sutcliff Black Vanilla" may have had a close connection for me with Lanes BCA vanilla.
Didn't happen.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
"The Vanilla Black Cavendish begins with the same toasted Green River Burley that used to make their top-selling BCA and the hot, new Dark Red. What makes this tobacco different is the deeply intense vanilla flavor that includes a hint of butterscotch."

You could be on to something there.
I liked the non cloying sweetness of the Lane's stuff as it hit the tongue.
It did seem to go beyond the "vanilla" flavoring now that you mention it.
Lane advertises their BCA as a vanilla blend and yet, simply not the same. No mention of butterscotch in its description however.

Reactions: canucklehead

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I agree.
I have smoked Lane black vanilla for 40 years.
I think it so stupid the reason for its end.
I have not found anything like it yet including BCA, HGL, anything "Capt. Black", Sutcliff and the vanilla creme by Macbarren.
I'm almost gonna quit pipe smoking if I cannot find something like it.
What was the reason for its end?

disgusted gifs | WiffleGif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The obvious guess as to why it was discontinued would be sales. Maintaining a large menu of blends is costly unless every one is pulling its weight, so it is likely that not enough pipe smokers had the same attachment to it as greatdane did.

With all the special editions being put out, and premium blends bidding for our buck, a few of the old standbys take the bullet and disappear into the tobacco bin of history.

If enough people complained, it might get a second chance, but it would have to be big numbers of people.

The tobacco business is a business, and the decisions are mostly about cold cash. No sales, no blend.

I recently discovered that along with GPL, C&D, and Esoterica, I really like Lane Limited HGL. Whether my liking will last past the first jar, I don't know, but I look forward to it in my rotation for now.

Yeah and if you don't cook a blowfish right it could kill ya and yet, it is a delicacy relished by some.
To each his own but there is something to be said to when flavoring comes across as a "finesse" rather than a freight train.
My reaction was to butterscotch. Blowfish is just fine. It's not the cooking, usually served raw... but the prep. You have to cut it in fine layers, avoiding the layer under the skin.

As stated above... I don't have a problem with vanilla, nor aromatics as a whole.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
If someone wants a really nice vanilla, that puts the flavor way ahead of the tobacco, try some MacBaron's Vanilla Flake. It would hit right for folks that don't mind the tobacco flavor being overpowered by the flavoring.
The obvious guess as to why it was discontinued would be sales. Maintaining a large menu of blends is costly unless every one is pulling its weight, so it is likely that not enough pipe smokers had the same attachment to it as greatdane did.

With all the special editions being put out, and premium blends bidding for our buck, a few of the old standbys take the bullet and disappear into the tobacco bin of history.

If enough people complained, it might get a second chance, but it would have to be big numbers of people.

The tobacco business is a business, and the decisions are mostly about cold cash. No sales, no blend.

I recently discovered that along with GPL, C&D, and Esoterica, I really like Lane Limited HGL. Whether my liking will last past the first jar, I don't know, but I look forward to it in my rotation for now.
Their (Lane) take is stated a bit differently.
They exclaimed it as a "preemptive move" as they felt the hand writing was on the wall about the government coming down on smoke flavoring with tobaccos.
Started with the vaping thing and kids being indoctrinated to smoking with the vape flavors.
This is total supposition (or bs) on Lane's part and i would buy your explanation over theirs.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
My reaction was to butterscotch. Blowfish is just fine. It's not the cooking, usually served raw... but the prep. You have to cut it in fine layers, avoiding the layer under the skin.

As stated above... I don't have a problem with vanilla, nor aromatics as a whole.
So its the butterscotch or "the layer underneath" you distaste?
I like it and whatever it was, sold me on this blend a long time ago.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
They exclaimed it as a "preemptive move" as they felt the hand writing was on the wall about the government coming down on smoke flavoring with tobaccos.
I would support banning aromatics more, if they also came down on people cooking pot into candies, people mixing alcohol with fruity flavors, and beers with candied flavors. They actually make a cola flavored beer, WTF?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Their (Lane) take is stated a bit differently.
Started with the vaping thing and kids being indoctrinated to smoking with the vape flavors.
This is total supposition (or bs) on Lane's part and i would buy your explanation over theirs.
Having switched from cigs to vape when the govt stepped in, I’d posit that the govt is going to do the same thing-it’s not about kids (that’s just the emotional draw for support). The govt went after the ability of folks to mix their own stuff. They want every product to have its own SKU to be easier to control. Tinned blends are more profit for regulators than big bulk bags.
I could be wrong, but that’s what happened on the vape sauce market-they didn’t put a dent in the candy/cereal/desert flavor selection, just made it so big tobacco companies could step into the market share they lost as cigs went out of fashion.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Good find davidy97
Anybody want to share in this?
I can purchase it then sell you the appropriate amount for cost and shipping if interested.

cutlets

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Great price.
I will not smoke all of this in the life I have left hence my interest in sharing.