Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The real story of iconic Lane Limited closing, the future of 1Q, and the return of Dunhill tobaccos now under the Peterson brand... All that and more, along with some Christmas cheer is in Fred's December entry on PipesMagazine!

Cirrus Clouds of a Smoky Christmas

@tennwriter

Edit: Fixed Link - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The real story of iconic Lane Limited closing, the future of 1Q, and the return of Dunhill tobaccos now under the Peterson brand... All that and more, along with some Christmas cheer is in Fred's December entry on PipesMagazine!

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/the-pipe-pundit/cirrus-clouds-of-a-smoky-christmas/

@tennwriter

Lawd’a’mighty :-(

Oh, okay, so it’s not that bleak, though I’m not an aro smoker I’m now convinced the Peterson’s Dunhills are going to be okay.

Still it’s a shame for the affected employees.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnichols23

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
What about the other iconic Lane blends like BCA , RLP-6 and HGL? Also lot of B&Ms are going to be scrambling
to find their bulk blends as many of them are rebranded lane tobaccos especially since McClelland closed

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
It’s sad to see such an icon of the pipe industry go through this.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
like seanv said there isn't really a loss here unless you work at that factory and I don't know how many people it employees but hopefully they all find gainful satisfying employment. For us it means they won't have to raise the prices as much to stay profitable and our tobacco will be a little more sophisticated because it will have traveled a bit more.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
“Consumers might be dubious, but I dare them to find a difference (between the Dunhill blends of yesteryear and the current blend).

“If they do, they are still wrong,” Wortzel says."

i loved the article. Thank you!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
like seanv said there isn't really a loss here unless you work at that factory and I don't know how many people it employees but hopefully they all find gainful satisfying employment. For us it means they won't have to raise the prices as much to stay profitable and our tobacco will be a little more sophisticated because it will have traveled a bit more.
I just hope those workers being laid off don't end up working for Amazon! :eek:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It appears from what Wortzel says in the article that STG is successfully jumping through the FDA hoops. There has been some concern that the process could be so onerous and costly that it would essentially shut down the sale of any and all post-2007 blends. I'm glad to see that is not necessarily the case.

Reactions: diamondback

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Hi All: As mentioned above, the real impact here is on the folks at the factory. There is never a good way to handle these things, but there certainly are bad ways. I'm pleased that the company essentially gave everyone a year's notice vs. springing the news on people at the last moment.

As far as the blends... If we make it in Tucker, we'll now make at the factory in Assens (old Orlik factory). So from a consumer standpoint, it's business as usual.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Did they offer anyone jobs at the other factory? A year's notice is very respectable.

It is sad to see but another product of high US production costs... which drives to less production facilities. Also over there health care/insurance is not an issue since it’s nationalized. In other words things need to change here in the US overall or there will be zero production left in the country with everything outsourced and Americans as the middlemen/brokers of companies often foreign-owned.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.