PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Speaking of woodsroad- Dan- where the hell is he?

Dan is currently in hibernation. He awakes every October for a few months only to organize the annual Secret Santa gift exchange. Usually mid January he reverts back to a gelatinous form and sleeps until the leaves start to change colour.

Cosmic on the other hand, I have no idea where he went to, but he is missed.

Nothing wrong with a free promotion on something I was going to buy anyway. I wouldn't buy something just to get a giveaway though.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not pipe related....I bought a Citizen "Tokyo" folding bike a few years ago and got a free pair of socks.

Purchased this bike in black
1593779403241.png

and received these free socks

1593779469735.png

No, I did not buy the bike just to get the free socks. The socks were a bonus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It seems like ash trays and such would have limited appeal. In my case, it took me real effort to find the little red serving dish to use as an ashtray that perches outside the books on my bookcase. The bulky ones offered as freebies wouldn't have helped at all. Likewise the little pottery tea cup without a handle that is my spent match receptacle. So I surmise that these incentives appeal to new smokers who are excited about owning an ashtray at all. Norman Rockwell did interesting work beyond his more sentimental Americana, but I don't want his art on my tobacco jars, and so on. One man's or woman's trash is another's treasure.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
It seems like ash trays and such would have limited appeal. In my case, it took me real effort to find the little red serving dish to use as an ashtray that perches outside the books on my bookcase. The bulky ones offered as freebies wouldn't have helped at all. Likewise the little pottery tea cup without a handle that is my spent match receptacle.

I appreciate the idea that something that collects spent ashes and matches doesn't need to be fancy and it's about the utility and not the branding. However, I find that ashtrays made for pipes do offer an upgrade over a simple tray or bowl. Having a cork knocker in the center of the ashtray and having built-in pipe rests are both conveniences I appreciate on a daily basis. pfeifenascher_520935s.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I love my red and black square Dunhill ashtray. Purchased from a generous and kind member on this site. So, a MacB ashtray would be cool, if I were buying tobacco at the moment. The ad did make me look and think about making a purchase.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I’ve done it.
got a free pipe with a two pouches of amphora once, got a “matured Va” MacBaren tobacco jar for free when I ordered a lb. basically if it’s something I normally order or am going to order I’ll do it. Like if I was going to order any MacBaren soon I’d do it. Those ashtrays are pretty nice ?
If it’s free........it’s for me!

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have the tray, use it as a pipe stand while I am smoking mainly. I like it plus more HH in the cellar is a good thing. I do miss the 20% off sales though.
Could be a good item for secret santa coming up. I gave away a Peterson Sherlock tamper last year.

tray.jpgtamper.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I appreciate the idea that something that collects spent ashes and matches doesn't need to be fancy and it's about the utility and not the branding. However, I find that ashtrays made for pipes do offer an upgrade over a simple tray or bowl. Having a cork knocker in the center of the ashtray and having built-in pipe rests are both conveniences I appreciate on a daily basis. View attachment 35147
Agree. I use an ashtray with an integrated pipe rest almost exclusively.

Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just have a rule that the free gimmick cannot influence my purchase decision. I have received various little items like the Macbaren pin that I stuck on the side of my hat...to be honest though, none of the free gimmick accessories are as exciting to me as a 0.75oz sample of a blend I have never tried before. Its been a while since i saw free samples offered.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Eh, I've fallen for the tactic a few times, but after a full batch of martini/shot glasses I start digging for the bottles that have no promotional paraphernalia attached.

Reactions: BROBS

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
The first time I bought Ennerdale it was for the Margaret Thatcher bobble head.
My stepmother - this is back in the early 80's - was impressed that when she visited my apartment I had a small bust of Thatcher (she was a great fan)... ...that is until I pointed out it was a Spitting Image dog toy and squeaked when pressed (or chewed by a canine). (Let's just say that my stepmother and I did not agree on anything; actually it would be more accurate to say we just didn't get on. So yes, I bought this toy especially for her visit) as I knew it would really annoy her.)

• Haha
Reactions: scloyd and BROBS

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
To get back on topic. I don't buy things just because they have freebies but if something I'm thinking of getting anyway comes with a freebie then it may influence the purchase. Example. I regularly buy pipes from Smoking Pipes EU (some times from US) and I regularly buy Peterson's (I think I have 60+ now) 'cos I like them. So when they were giving a free 'Sherlock Holmes' tamper (as pictured in an earlier post) with each Peterson it meant I bought some Peterson's whilst the offer was going; without the offer, I would have bought them anyway but probably a month or two later. Annoying thing is those pipes are my bother's house in UK as a) I didn't fancy paying nearly 100% duty when they arrived in Brazil and b) I was planning on visiting him last month but a certain international event has somewhat screwed about with my plans!

I've noticed other offers connected to other brands on various sites and... ...nope; not made we want to buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.