PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Yes, I’ve tried several and at first I wasn’t too impressed, but after trying different drying times and packing lighter… WOW! I enjoyed them all, but Ennerdale Flake is my favorite, and I plan on buying more! Probably order some others as well. My wife says she get the smell of clover when I smoke it, and she enjoys the aroma. Question to anyone who reads this… everyone says it will ghost a pipe, which I firmly believe, so I’m planning to dedicate one of my pipes to it (nothing wrong with smoking in my cob, but wanting to have a little variety. Question is, what bowl shape would provide the best results on this flake!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I recently got a couple tins of 1792 KF.
I like it quite a bit. I think I’ll stay clear of the “florals”, I’d like to try BBF or BBF2, or Rum Flake next.
I had sample of Erinmore that didn’t make me want to get any more.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I recently got a couple tins of 1792 KF.
I like it quite a bit. I think I’ll stay clear of the “florals”, I’d like to try BBF or BBF2, or Rum Flake next.
I had sample of Erinmore that didn’t make me want to get any more.
Try the florals though. They really are quite good. The flavor is an adjustment more than anything. If you've ever had a Jelly Belly jelly been, the floral aspect is a lot like that. A very good taste, but not one that Americans are used to from tobacco. Once you get over that initial shock to expectations, you'll find a place for a tobacco with an aromatic room note, clean and clear flavor, and enough nicotine to let you know you're smoking a pipe.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Nothing wrong with ghosts from Lakeland, whatever you smoke will cover it, I go back to the day's when we only had a couple of pipes and ghosting was not a problem, Lakelands are not like Laticia, just enjoy. puffy
Thanks! I was curious if they smoked better in a particular bowl type, like a pot, or billiard, etc…
Try the florals though. They really are quite good. The flavor is an adjustment more than anything. If you've ever had a Jelly Belly jelly been, the floral aspect is a lot like that. A very good taste, but not one that Americans are used to from tobacco. Once you get over that initial shock to expectations, you'll find a place for a tobacco with an aromatic room note, clean and clear flavor, and enough nicotine to let you know you're smoking a pipe.
I have to agree! I read some good and some bad reviews about the perfume and floral tin note, and they were all accurate in their own way. I got some Ennerdale Flake (and a few others) to sample from an AWESOME Guy here on the forum (not sure if he is okay with me mentioning his name for fear of the masses wanting samples 🤠), but he was so generous in sending me some samples, and man I’m glad he did!!! Upon opening the package I was knocked over with the heavy perfume smell that I had been warned about, and thought “sure glad I didn’t order any”, but then I tried the Ennerdale Flake without proper drying and it was okay. A couple days later I decided to try it again. I put some out to dry, got distracted and came back to what I thought was an overly dried out tobacco that I would just throw away. I decided, why not… loaded my cob and WOW, WOW, WOW, was it a great, cool, long, very tasty smoke. I noted several flavors that I couldn’t identify, until my wife said “what are you smoking” (I was waiting for a negative comment) and I told her and she said that the aroma was amazing and said it smelled like cloves. That was the unidentified taste I was getting and while very different from my favorite Lat blends, I loved it and smoked the rest of the samples I received and have ordered more. While it won’t replace my Lat blends for my morning coffee and smoke, it has become my everyday afternoon or evening smoke. I’m now searching for other Lakeland tobacco’s to try, But Ennerdale Flake is a keeper!!! I recommend everyone try it, but play around with drying times.,,, it makes a huge difference!

dublinpiper90

Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Would it be wise to burn a blend like Bob Chocolate flake even though it’s aromatic in the same pipe as something like squadron leader ? or should I just burn bobs ch flake in my aro pipe? And SL in my English pipe

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Would it be wise to burn a blend like Bob Chocolate flake even though it’s aromatic in the same pipe as something like squadron leader ? or should I just burn bobs ch flake in my aro pipe? And SL in my English pipe
YMMV but I've been smoking Bob's Chocolate Flake and Chelsea Morning in the same pipe. I haven't noticed a whole lot of cross over. The florals and topping in BCF are lightly applied.

Jun 23, 2019

Often these answers to these questions are all: you just have to try for yourself.

Funny how NOT fussy people are about smoking until they get online and learn about all these wonderful things.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Okay… it’s been a little while since my original question/post, and I’ve smoked more Ennerdale and Bosun Cut Plug (have some Rum Flake and Bobs Chocolate to try) and I have to say WOW… I’m really enjoying these tobacco’s! The first bowl or two and I was skeptical, but with any blend, I try to smoke at least 4 bowls in order to try different dry times, packing methods. Etc… And this time it definitely paid off and I can’t seem to get enough! Now what’s strange is that I’m trying so hard to like/enjoy other Virginia blends and I must be still too new to get out of these other blends that most of you get. All I get is bland (at best), but mostly ashy taste and I’m very prone to tongue bite. The Lakeland blends I’ve tried taste great, some cool (no tongue bite at all) and they are primarily Virginia’s… I don’t get it, what’s wrong? Anyway, unless I find out someway to enjoy and get some flavor from other Virginia blends… I’ll just stick with my English, Balkan, and Lakeland blends! Thanks to everyone that has commented on my post… it really thought me a lot!!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
One thing true, is that the flavors and strengths do change from time to time.

What Lakelands may of tasted like 10 years ago, isn’t necessarily the same now.

I have a tin of Ennerdale around 8-10 years of age, maybe even a few more years older. This blend is more plum fruit forward, with a Lakeland essence following.

I smoked Ennerdale from a drop last year at SPC in bulk, it was more Lakeland essence forward, with slight fruit floral, which wasn’t quite the same fruit flavors afterwards.

Everyone around here loves pipe tobacco, and being on the lookout for older vintage Gawith, you want added to your list. ;)

C4E3776D-234C-4AA1-B267-8AFFBD78600B.jpeg

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
One thing true, is that the flavors and strengths do change from time to time.

What Lakelands may of tasted like 10 years ago, isn’t necessarily the same now.

I have a tin of Ennerdale around 8-10 years of age, maybe even a few more years older. This blend is more plum fruit forward, with a Lakeland essence following.

I smoked Ennerdale from a drop last year at SPC in bulk, it was more Lakeland essence forward, with slight fruit floral, which wasn’t quite the same fruit flavors afterwards.

Everyone around here loves pipe tobacco, and being on the lookout for older vintage Gawith, you want added to your list. ;)

View attachment 248350
I would love to find some aged Ennerdale and experience the flavors you described! Being somewhat new to pipe smoking and still learning about different tobaccos… I have no idea how to find, or even know, aged tobacco. Or which tobaccos age well and which ones don’t. I do jar and label everything I purchase with the name, place purchased, and the date I purchased it, but that’s about it.

Thank you for sharing!

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I’ve really been enjoying Ennerdale and consider it a favourite and will be stocking up this fall, the only one I’ve had…. The first notes are oranges and fruits followed by “perfume“/Lakeland essence, if the order was reversed I probably wouldn’t like it, but it creates a great smell. It’s also pretty high nicotine, a stronger tobacco and so far after one tin hasn’t ghosted my pipe.
I tossed my tin of Ennerdale out. Nasty stuff!

Reactions: Bbailey324

Briarcutter

Can't Leave
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
If you smoke a pipe for the adventure and experience of a vast array of flavors, Lakeland tobacco is a must. If you're relatively new to pipe smoking you may want to wait a bit though. As mentioned, they seem to be a love/hate experience. If your into adventure and have an open mind and palate you should try them. One of my favorites is Grousemoor.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
If you smoke a pipe for the adventure and experience of a vast array of flavors, Lakeland tobacco is a must. If you're relatively new to pipe smoking you may want to wait a bit though. As mentioned, they seem to be a love/hate experience. If your into adventure and have an open mind and palate you should try them. One of my favorites is Grousemoor.
I am a fan of Grousemoor also. Wasn't sure if I would like the Lakeland 'essence' based on the aroma of the tin but I think its great stuff. Its the only style I have a dedicated pipe for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just be clear, all Lakelands are not rose geranium flavored. Those are some blends that are famously floral and that ghost pipes and therefore usually are smoked in designated pipes.

The rest of their line includes a number of sturdy non-aromatic blends that are interesting, unique, and varied.

It's a beginner's mistake to assume that Lakelands are all rose geranium flavored.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Rose Geranium makes anything taste interesting. The Victorians were dumping the stuff on pipe tobacco and on the whole I find the stuff if handled with the correct approach to be beyond question the best smoke out there.

Reactions: edger and Relax62

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Just be clear, all Lakelands are not rose geranium flavored. Those are some blends that are famously floral and that ghost pipes and therefore usually are smoked in designated pipes.

The rest of their line includes a number of sturdy non-aromatic blends that are interesting, unique, and varied.

It's a beginner's mistake to assume that Lakelands are all rose geranium flavored.
Sam Gawith blends are my staple, being UK based and not a profiling pipe smoker their blends are often available loose. I didn't word it well. I know most of the range is not like this but that floral note is distinctly a Lakeland thing to my knowledge. In fact my favourite Lakeland blends are Sam Gawiths Skiff Mix and G&H Balkan Mixture.

Reactions: Relax62 and mingc

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I would love to find some aged Ennerdale and experience the flavors you described! Being somewhat new to pipe smoking and still learning about different tobaccos… I have no idea how to find, or even know, aged tobacco. Or which tobaccos age well and which ones don’t. I do jar and label everything I purchase with the name, place purchased, and the date I purchased it, but that’s about it.

Thank you for sharing!

It’s like anything, takes time to get the hang. Hang around here long enough, and a year or two, you’ll be pro.

When you get 100 posts, head over to the tobacco sale section, and put up a ‘WTB Aged Ennerdale’.

In time you should be able to score a tin, but, it’s probably going to cost like anywhere from $30-$60, depending how old, or how little someone cares to make a profit.

Sometimes, some members just want to dump their blends, and occasionally you can get aged blends at cost, or a little over.

Enjoy! :)

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
It’s like anything, takes time to get the hang. Hang around here long enough, and a year or two, you’ll be pro.

When you get 100 posts, head over to the tobacco sale section, and put up a ‘WTB Aged Ennerdale’.

In time you should be able to score a tin, but, it’s probably going to cost like anywhere from $30-$60, depending how old, or how little someone cares to make a profit.

Sometimes, some members just want to dump their blends, and occasionally you can get aged blends at cost, or a little over.

Enjoy! :)
Good to know… thank you!

Reactions: PipeIT