PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I have tried several with Lakeland but this morning I tried Bosun cut plug and for the first time I did get the soap in my mouth taste. Maybe this one has a lot of Lakeland or my buds are just sensitive this morning. I finished the bowl and it got a little better with my coffee but not a fan at the moment. I might give it another chance.

Reactions: Relax62

dublinpiper90

Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
I have tried several with Lakeland but this morning I tried Bosun cut plug and for the first time I did get the soap in my mouth taste. Maybe this one has a lot of Lakeland or my buds are just sensitive this morning. I finished the bowl and it got a little better with my coffee but not a fan at the moment. I might give it another chance.
Definitely don’t give up I usually burn 5 bowls before I determine weather it’s a no go.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I'm one of those folks who wishes the Lakeland sauce was heavier. GHC is one of my favorite blenders. Ennerdale, Bosun Cut Plug, Coniston Cut Plug, Rum Flake are some of my favorites, but they are more scented than others. You might want to try Bob's Chocolate Flake, Bob's Square Cut, Glengarry Flake.

Sam Gawith is (in my opinion) more subtle in their flavors. You might consider Navy Flake, St. James Flake, or Squadron Leader. Either way, I think they're worth trying at least once.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Lakelands are fun! Not everyone will like them, but they are a tobacco blend genre that every pipe smoker should try at least once. Right up there alongside American style aromatics, Danish aromatics, pure Virginias, VaPers, Burley blends, and English blends.

The most iconic Lakeland blend is probably Gawith Hoggarth & Co's Ennerdale Flake, and it's a favorite in my weekly rotation. Just be warned that just about everything in Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith's lineups pack a much stronger nicotine punch than you might be used to, so take it slow and easy. I've been a pack a day cigarette smoker for a couple decades and I still have to put the pipe down and take a break after 20 minutes of smoking Ennerdale. It's some powerful stuff!

Last edited:
G

Gimlet

Lakeland means tobaccos from the English Lake District (nowadays Gawith & Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith). Those producers (now one, G&H owns the Sam Gawith brand) make all sorts of different styles of tobacco (English, Virgina, VaPer, VaBur etc.).

People commonly use this to refer to heavily floral tobaccos like Ennerdale, which is excellent. Personally, my favourite is Grasmere flake, a robust tobacco with rose geranium flavour, among others. Worth also trying G&H unscented flakes (both Brown and Dark) to get an idea of the constituent tobaccos. These are both really good traditional flakes.
I'd agree with that but some people confuse "Lakeland" with Kendal. While they come form the same factory they're very different. Lakeland - named as you say after areas in the Lake District - all have that trademark grassy hay-like floral note. Many have a hint of geranium in them, which I'm not terribly keen on, though I like Ennerdale where it isn't too pronounced.
Kendal to me means something darker and richer and includes the plugs and twists. I'm a big fan of the dark fired Kendal flakes. I find the twists a little prickly and peppery but I like the earthy, almost antique leather flavour of these tobaccos. And the quality is exceptional.

I do worry for the future of the Gawith Hoggarth factory though. There is a concerted war on smoking going on in the UK with no differentiation being made between high-end craft pipe tobacco and chemically adulterated ready-made cigarettes.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'd agree with that but some people confuse "Lakeland" with Kendal. While they come form the same factory they're very different. Lakeland - named as you say after areas in the Lake District - all have that trademark grassy hay-like floral note. Many have a hint of geranium in them, which I'm not terribly keen on, though I like Ennerdale where it isn't too pronounced.
Kendal to me means something darker and richer and includes the plugs and twists. I'm a big fan of the dark fired Kendal flakes. I find the twists a little prickly and peppery but I like the earthy, almost antique leather flavour of these tobaccos. And the quality is exceptional.
Interesting differentiation, although confusingly Kendal Flake is very scented! Also, there are a variety of scented plugs and twists available. Personally, I like them all, but I agree with you - the twists and plugs are something really special.
I do worry for the future of the Gawith Hoggarth factory though. There is a concerted war on smoking going on in the UK with no differentiation being made between high-end craft pipe tobacco and ready-made, chemically adulterated cigarettes.
Agreed, but they look like they're doing pretty well at the moment. I'm somewhat sympathetic to the differentiation between cigarettes and pipes/cigars, but I think that we need a unified voice against puritanism. Any argument for one form of smoking being healthier than others is likely to fall down, if not because it's incorrect then because 'healthier' doesn't equate to 'healthy'. Also, unfortunately cigar and pipe smokers still make up a small minority of smokers. I think we should be starting from the point of arguiing against governments telling us that we can't do something simply because it is bad for us.

G

Gimlet

Agreed, but they look like they're doing pretty well at the moment. I'm somewhat sympathetic to the differentiation between cigarettes and pipes/cigars, but I think that we need a unified voice against puritanism. Any argument for one form of smoking being healthier than others is likely to fall down, if not because it's incorrect then because 'healthier' doesn't equate to 'healthy'. Also, unfortunately cigar and pipe smokers still make up a small minority of smokers. I think we should be starting from the point of arguiing against governments telling us that we can't do something simply because it is bad for us.
There is much in what you say. I was surprised how much negative reaction there was to Rishi Sunaks proposed stepped age limits on cigarettes, even from non smokers and people on both the left and right. I found that encouraging but I fear what might be coming next when Sunak has been retired to spend more time with his hedge funds..

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Loved Lakelands from the first time I tried them, my first favourite, and it still is, is No.7 Broken Flake. I always try to stock up on this every time I order (which is a bit reduced at the moment because of the rising prices of other things)