PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have found myself drying my aros more often than not. It really does make them smoke cooler which brings out the flavor.
But, this does bring up a good question. (maybe already in another thread) How wet is too wet and how dry is too dry? let me know if that question is already somewhere. :)
well depends on the blend. Some have shocked me by smoking great bone dry (and talking aros here and about maintaining the topping flavors) where as some really lose the taste some where before that. One of my favs is EGR and it kicks bottom right about up to half way to dry after that it still does but it smokes like a burly with a pinch of latakia which is good but not what I was going for.
And if that's not complicated enough there is you and what you like and your taste buds and how you smoke and all these personal things. Only answer that I know is it depends.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I tried virtually all of the Gawith tobaccos by buying 10g samples. I'm glad I did as I didn't like some of them and it saved me having to waste money on 50g tins that I didn't want.

Gawith make some truly exceptional and unique tobaccos and everyone should sample their wares at least once. Ennerdale, RB Plug, Best Brown #2 and Dark Plug XX are my favourites.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
While I appreciate the "Scented" Lakeland tobaccos and on occasion I have enjoyed them, I much prefer the "Unscented" blends that come out of the region.

My absolute favorite blend for the past several years is Gawith's Best Brown Flake #2, followed very closely by Samuel Gawith's St James Flake. They're not always available, so I stock up any time I can get my hands on them.

But they age magnificently and are my favorites at any time of the day.

The "Scented" blends with the Rose Geranium are good, but they will ghost a pipe something fierce. So if you aren't going to smoke them regularly, then I suggest smoking them from a cob or clay unless you want to dedicate a briar pipe to it because that pipe will make every blend after taste and smell like the Queen's Rose Garden.
I threw in a tin of Best Brown Flake along with Skiff Mixture and the newly released Midsommar to accompany my new (estate) pipe purchase — my maiden voyage with a beautiful Rind ‘G’ Radice. Should I let that Best Brown sit for a good while before cracking it open?

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I threw in a tin of Best Brown Flake along with Skiff Mixture and the newly released Midsommar to accompany my new (estate) pipe purchase — my maiden voyage with a beautiful Rind ‘G’ Radice. Should I let that Best Brown sit for a good while before cracking it open?
You'll have to see how the moisture in the tin is when you crack it open. I've had recent drops that needed 2 days drying to get to something smokable, to more normal moisture levels ready in about 30 min.

Reactions: Relax62

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Did you get the G&H Best Brown Flake #2, or the Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. It’s confusing, but they are two different blends and I’ve never had the SG Best Brown.

If it’s the G&H BB2, then you don’t necessarily need to let it sit if you want to try it fresh because it is fantastic right out of the tin. But @minerLuke is correct in that you might want to dry it a bit before loading it.

You can always try it out and then jar up the rest to let it age for a bit because my stash has aged beautifully.

And congrats on the Radice. I have several and they are great smokers.

Reactions: Singularis

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Did you get the G&H Best Brown Flake #2, or the Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. It’s confusing, but they are two different blends and I’ve never had the SG Best Brown.

If it’s the G&H BB2, then you don’t necessarily need to let it sit if you want to try it fresh because it is fantastic right out of the tin. But @minerLuke is correct in that you might want to dry it a bit before loading it.

You can always try it out and then jar up the rest to let it age for a bit because my stash has aged beautifully.

And congrats on the Radice. I have several and they are great smokers.
It’s the Sam Gawith version. Always good to keep in mind that I can sample a bowl or two soon and then jar for deep cellaring. I hear that sometimes its necessary to do so.

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I didn’t particularly care for them at first, but I have gone back to them and have developed an appreciation for them. It’s all quality tobacco. The Lakeland essences are applied in varying degrees depending on the blend. I’d say my favorites are Ennerdale Flake, Rum Flake, KC Flake, and Best Brown 2. All excellent tobaccos and each one unique in its own right.

I think they are worth a try. It may not be for you but my experience is they have grown on me. I don’t smoke them all the time but every now and then I get the itch for one.

My one complaint of SG and G&H blends is that they are awfully wet. So you really need to take the necessary time to prep your tobacco and ensure they are dry enough to smoke.

LouisPiper

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
My one complaint of SG and G&H blends is that they are awfully wet. So you really need to take the necessary time to prep your tobacco and ensure they are dry enough to smoke.
The SG and G&H conundrum, do I want to smoke this in two days time? I live in quite a humid climate so drying time can be extended somewhat. It's a tough call sometimes.

At first I was very shocked and put off by the cologne/perfume smells of Lakelands. But, one can get used to it. But working a Lakeland into a rotation where one also smokes uncased Virginias and/or regular latakia blends, it can be a challenge. It overwhelms my palate and makes the rest tasteless for me. I merely smoke one of their heavy hitters like Dark Flake unscented every now and then just before bed. I have no desire to acclimate myself to the perfumes again. I am not even sure if I will ever order any more ever again. I think it is worth it to give it a try, if only for a historical perspective. They are just too weird an aroma for me.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I am from the like camp. Most tobacco I buy is Sam Gawith or Gawith and Hogarth as I dont smoke often and buy loose rather than tins. In the UK they are the most widely available loose. My preference is for English/Balkan blends like Skiff Mix, however I recently tried Grousemoor which is very floral. I loved it initially, then went kff slightly. Had not had it in a while then had a bowl a couple of days ago and found it awesome. I think its great, however it does leave granny's perfume notes in the pipe. Lakeland floral is the the only style I have a dedicated pipe for.