PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
You should try everything at least once. You never know what's going to hit the spot and, obviously, that can vary greatly from smoker to smoker. That said, I despite Lakelands with a burning passion, no pun intended. But hey, that's just me, and I never would've known how abhorrent they were unless I tried them first. So go for it. You might want to dedicate a cheap cob for this, however, as they are known to ghost. They are also known to cause wives to serve divorce paperwork soon after the charring light, but that's obviously a far lesser consequence than having to resurrect a ghosted pipe.

Wait, did I say that last part out loud?

peejhunt

Lurker
Aug 26, 2010
Greenup, Kentucky
Aromatic is a pretty broad category and there's lots of different aromatics made in different ways.

Some are super goopy and 200% propylene glycol and they take 10,000 years to dry out enough to be smokable. Others are more mild in the flavorings. Don't write off aros as a whole. I don't know what ones you have tried, but even the heaviest gooping sloppy mess of an aro can be smoked without tasting bad, just requires proper technique. Try drying more, packing lighter and smoking slower.

Any tobacco, not just aros, can taste like nothingness and ash if you smoke too hot or too fast. Some tobaccos are more forgiving than others of improper technique. And some naturally burn a little hotter than others, you just have to slow down more for those.
I have found myself drying my aros more often than not. It really does make them smoke cooler which brings out the flavor.
But, this does bring up a good question. (maybe already in another thread) How wet is too wet and how dry is too dry? let me know if that question is already somewhere. :)

Reactions: Relax62

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
One thing about Lakelands that must be understood is they have been making these blends the same way for a very long time on ancient equipment, unlike so many blending houses that have come and gone and come again under new ownership/distribution making completely different blends from the originals and just slapping on a label, though the tobacco is from another source, with a different cut/casing/topping, and sometimes with straight-up different component tobaccos. On the contrary, the Lakelands have produced a completely unique product and they have been doing it for literally centuries, one should definitely check it out. YMMV but for me, this is some of the best stuff I've ever had, a great variety of flavors, cuts and strengths, quality control, and quality leaf.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
One thing about Lakelands that must be understood is they have been making these blends the same way for a very long time on ancient equipment, unlike so many blending houses that have come and gone and come again under new ownership/distribution making completely different blends and just slapping on a label. However, the tobacco is from another source, with a different cut, and sometimes with straight-up different component tobaccos. The Lakelands have produced a completely unique product and they have been doing it for literally centuries, one should definitely check it out. YMMV but for me, this is some of the best stuff I've ever had, a great variety of flavors, cuts and strengths, quality control, and quality leaf.
Yup 100% agree, they are tobacco history! Well worth trying out, and who knows the Lakeland charm may just grow on you! 😉

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have found myself drying my aros more often than not. It really does make them smoke cooler which brings out the flavor.
But, this does bring up a good question. (maybe already in another thread) How wet is too wet and how dry is too dry? let me know if that question is already somewhere. :)
It's probably been asked, but I can save you the trouble and say there's no right answer beyond it's too wet when you can wring it out into a puddle like a wet dish rag and too dry when just blinking at it causes it to turn to dust.

It's partly personal preference, and partly depends on the particular blend (regardless of genre). Everyone's different. More experienced people than myself can probably give you better generalities.

A few things to note though... if you smoke wetter, you're more likely to have more dottle at the end, and you're more likely to have to relight. While on that topic, to prevent smoking too hot, don't try to keep a pipe lit. Sometimes they go out, just relight when it does. The only time you should worry about keeping it from going out is if you're in a slow race competition.

Don't overthink it, just experiment to find what works for you.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Just kind of skimming here, and I totally agree you should try any or all Lakeland tobaccos. You may want to try them in a new cob, as some have had a hard time removing that essence once it is in a pipe. Worst case, you try it with a pipe you like and then don't like the tobacco and that ghost is in there... haunting you... forever... lol

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
St Brunos is considered by many, and I agree, a lakeland. Not in the purest sense, but it is a friendly starter in my opinion. Beware, some can be very strong: Brown no.4 for example, 1792, or even gawith and hogarth's coniston plug. Some say beware of the tonka bean flavor, I say beware of fainting. Other than that ... fine stuff. Condor is a popular otc, samuel gawith grousemoor is also a favorite around here.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Everyone here is correct, "Lakeland essence" (the floral/perfume/soapy/"grandma's purse" scent and taste) as polarizing as water flushes. They are a acquired taste. Definitely try samples if you can.

The flavor is a huge step away from aromatic tobacco, aros taken to 11 but you can still get tobacco taste. They do use very high quality leaf. It is cool to some history, like vegetables grown in fields that have been plowed by mules. And it is so freaking awesome to have aromatic tobacco with a measurable nicotine content.

The taste will be different than anything you've smoked before. I recommend giving yourself like 5 bowls before you decide anything, your first one or two will be you saying "What the [expletive deleted] was that?!" Yeah, that's normal. Another thing is I swear they mix in asbestos in those flakes, there's a good chance you're going to catch 4 kinds of hell keeping it lit. As mentioned, Lakeland blends do pack a bit of nicotine. If you're sensitive to nicotine, tread carefully. Last, pick up a cob or basket briar. Grousemoore ghosted my front porch once.

Try them and see what you think. Then report back to us with your thoughts!

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Ennerdale is flavoured but it’s mostly pure Va flake, with a few % burley, and smokes like that. In a blind tasting, I’d guess Va. Its nothing like those Cavendish based OTC aros at all, nothing,
Thank you! That sounds much better!

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Everyone here is correct, "Lakeland essence" (the floral/perfume/soapy/"grandma's purse" scent and taste) as polarizing as water flushes. They are a acquired taste. Definitely try samples if you can.

The flavor is a huge step away from aromatic tobacco, aros taken to 11 but you can still get tobacco taste. They do use very high quality leaf. It is cool to some history, like vegetables grown in fields that have been plowed by mules. And it is so freaking awesome to have aromatic tobacco with a measurable nicotine content.

The taste will be different than anything you've smoked before. I recommend giving yourself like 5 bowls before you decide anything, your first one or two will be you saying "What the [expletive deleted] was that?!" Yeah, that's normal. Another thing is I swear they mix in asbestos in those flakes, there's a good chance you're going to catch 4 kinds of hell keeping it lit. As mentioned, Lakeland blends do pack a bit of nicotine. If you're sensitive to nicotine, tread carefully. Last, pick up a cob or basket briar. Grousemoore ghosted my front porch once.

Try them and see what you think. Then report back to us with your thoughts!
Thank you! I’m looking forward to getting some samples and will definitely report back!

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Great question… I would love to know that myself! I have a lot invested in aros (most everything you can think of) and they’re just sitting nicely stored in jar’s waiting for me to learn to like them, sell/trade/trash them.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Great question… I would love to know that myself! I have a lot invested in aros (most everything you can think of) and they’re just sitting nicely stored in jar’s waiting for me to learn to like them, sell/trade/trash them.
Aromatic is a pretty broad category and there's lots of different aromatics made in different ways.

Some are super goopy and 200% propylene glycol and they take 10,000 years to dry out enough to be smokable. Others are more mild in the flavorings. Don't write off aros as a whole. I don't know what ones you have tried, but even the heaviest gooping sloppy mess of an aro can be smoked without tasting bad, just requires proper technique. Try drying more, packing lighter and smoking slower.

Any tobacco, not just aros, can taste like nothingness and ash if you smoke too hot or too fast. Some tobaccos are more forgiving than others of improper technique. And some naturally burn a little hotter than others, you just have to slow down more for those.
Thanks for the feedback! I haven’t written them off, but definitely need a different technique. I think I’m smoking them too hot or too wet!

Jesster109

Lurker
Dec 2, 2022
Illinois
I've only had a couple, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Balkan Blend, and the cream flake (? I can't remember the exact name. I enjoyed them all, though different than what I am used to. Don't let first impression turn you off right away. You may come around to liking them. BCF was a winner right off the bat for me, the Balkan Blend gets into my rotation every once in a while, while that cream flake I smoke every once in a great while - for some reason the nic on that one blasts me. Tasty, but it knocks me on my behind.

All that said to really say - try them if it doesn't break your bank. You might love them, or, not. Have fun!

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Just had a couple of bowls of Bosun's Cut, sweeter than Ennerdale, broken Flake, smoked great in my Peterson Freehand, don't know how available it is in the USA but if you like sweet tobacco try and get it.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
S
Just had a couple of bowls of Bosun's Cut, sweeter than Ennerdale, broken Flake, smoked great in my Peterson Freehand, don't know how available it is in the USA but if you like sweet tobacco try and get it.
o interesting! But you called it… not available anywhere in the US. The places that do sell it when in stock, only sell in very large quantities, and that’s an issue, since I may not like it🤠

Reactions: RookieGuy80

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
S

o interesting! But you called it… not available anywhere in the US. The places that do sell it when in stock, only sell in very large quantities, and that’s an issue, since I may not like it🤠
Sorry to hear that, there are many USA tobaccos that I would love to try but none are available in the UK, shame we can't do overseas swaps.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
S

Check B&M stores if that's an option. I've seen many a G&H and Esoterica blend languishing on a shelf in good cigar stores before.