PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It seems silly to say this but I just loved that little cat. This will stay with me for a long time.
Not silly at all. My wife and I had a dog we were both crazy about. Pretty much our kid before we had kids. My mother came over to our house one day while we were at work to let the dog out, and I guess she got distracted and wasn’t watching her, and she got onto the highway and got hit and killed. When my wife found out, I had to take her to the ER because she was having a panic attack (first one she’d ever had, she thought she was having a heart attack). I was pretty depressed for a while. We loved that dog. Just don’t rush into getting another one. I only say that because it seems a lot of people do that, and I think it’s counterproductive most of the time. So anyway, all of that is to say it’s not silly at all to mourn a pet. Not in the least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We lost our amazing Bella in April at the same age, almost 19, mom of three kittens by mistake before she was fixed, major hunter in the Pine Barrens on Long Island, resident of Greenwich Village for a while, and then came down to a whole new life in North Carolina. I met her about half way through her life and we truly bonded. She'd bolster on my chest, look deeply in my eyes, and then put her paw firmly on my chin. You were honored, and lucky, as were we, to have our cats pass on in our arms. That's not too common. They chose their time. It's hard indeed, but you wouldn't trade those years of company. Your girl was a fine looking cat.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I'm very sorry for your loss. 19 years builds a solid bond and great memories but for now I'm sure it makes the loss even tougher. Take care and find peace in those good times as much as possible.

Reactions: kcghost

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It seems silly to say this but I just loved that little cat. This will stay with me for a long time.
Not silly at all. Shows you’ve got a good heart. My ex wife had to put her dog of 12 years down a few years back, she owned that sweet dog since she was 4 weeks old. For her it was just another day, I only knew her for 2 years when we had to put her down and it affected me deeply, I really came to love that ol’ girl (she was an Old English Bulldog), I was just sobbing while laying down with her, I was holding her paw and I could feel the life leave her body, it was heart breaking. My ex didn’t shed a tear, got up and said, “so, I’m hungry! Let’s get some Italian food!” And that was that. Now I know people deal with loss in different ways but from my perspective, this event didn’t affect her in the slightest. It really concerned me how she dealt with it at the time.

• Sad
Reactions: kcghost and kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many people who lose companion animals are reluctant to get another for a long time. I think a middle road is best, not to say never again, but not to run right out and adopt one, unless that is your set rule. I joke that when animals depart, they implant a bright neon like aura over their human's head that other animals of their species can see like bright flashing neon. So at the pet adoption place, or in the eyes of a stray, the auditioning pets say to themselves, oh, here comes one now. I'll act real cute, extra cute. It's sort of like getting stopped by the Highway Patrol. Instead of asking for your driver's license, they say, I'd like to see your pet food bowl, sir. You sort of have to go along with it. You're in custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.