PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Yeah, that confused me as well, but it's a mistake. Henry Sutliff registered Heine's Blend in 1928. There was another company called Heine's Tobacco Co., which was a Sutliff subsidiary. Most early tins and ads mention San Fran and Massillon. Like this one from 1940—
View attachment 318010
It sems it was made in Ohio at a point, some tins from the pre-Richmond era reference the Ohio factory. Sutliff dissolved the Ohio entity with the move to Richmond, so maybe it was something they set up to manufacture for whatever reason—some savvy business maneuvering.
View attachment 318006
Wowsers! That, my friend, is some savvy sleuthing! Thanks for sharing.

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I think most of the negative sentiment comes from people who just want to complain about anything and everything. You run into people who bash whatever brand they choose and then rant and rave about whichever brand they profess to be the best. Sutliff makes so many blends and as others have mentioned they supply tobacco and blends for a myriad of different companies that anyone who bashes their entire line up just shows their bias and lack of knowledge. Too many people also equate not liking a blend to it being made of "inferior" or "crap" tobacco which to me always reveals their ignorance on the subject. Smoke what you like and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Sutliff makes a ton of great blends.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I haven't really found a Sutliff branded bulk that appeals to me. I don't do many aro's and that seems to be a lot of them. I mostly smoke English blends and their offerings are...not my favorite. I do, however, like the Hearth & Home blends like White Knight, Black House, and 10 to Midnight which, I believe, are made from Sutliff tobaccos (Russ is a great blender). I believe they also make the Seattle Pipe Club stuff, while also not a favorite of mine, are pretty popular.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I haven't really found a Sutliff branded bulk that appeals to me. I don't do many aro's and that seems to be a lot of them. I mostly smoke English blends and their offerings are...not my favorite. I do, however, like the Hearth & Home blends like White Knight, Black House, and 10 to Midnight which, I believe, are made from Sutliff tobaccos (Russ is a great blender). I believe they also make the Seattle Pipe Club stuff, while also not a favorite of mine, are pretty popular.
STG took over Black House but White Knight is still Sutliff. The bulk is Balkan Sobranie Original Match.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Im pretty sure Sutliff wasn't a thing when I quit piping 8 years ago.
I haven't bought any tobacco in the year ive been back at it, I haven't even looked.
But, im about to make some purchases......do they sell in bulk?

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Im pretty sure Sutliff wasn't a thing when I quit piping 8 years ago.
I haven't bought any tobacco in the year ive been back at it, I haven't even looked.
But, im about to make some purchases......do they sell in bulk?
Yes, they have quite a few bulk selections. Online shops have plenty.

Reactions: Sig

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have bought and smoked many Sutliff blends over the years and enjoyed them. I have also been in a few pipe shops that claim they make their own blends and have seen bags of bulk blends made by Sutliff being directly placed into jars with "house" labels on them.

Over the past six or seven years though, I have gravitated towards European made blends - mostly made by either Dan Tobacco or Kohlhase & Kopp - that I like to smoke more often. That isn't a slam towards Sutliff, C&D or any other made for the US blends. In fact, I never figured out the hate towards Daughters & Ryan other than the fact that they started out making RYO tobacco.

I still have a few tins of Sutliff blends in my cellar and when I get the urge for a taste of out of production blends, I will buy the Sutliff Match Blend.

Reactions: fireground_piper