PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Really didn't pay attention. Realized I do have some of their tins, but haven't opened them. I might form an opinion by the time I'm done with them in next 10 - 15 years.

• Haha
Reactions: seanv

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
A number of years ago I was in Cigar & Tabac Ltd. in Overland Park, Kansas and asked if Holiday Pipe Mixture was still made. The store's owner told me it was not, but proceeded to introduce me to the Sutliff representative who was then making a sales call on the store. The representative told me about their match mixture and offered to send me a sample. I doubted that he would, but gave him my name and address.

Upon returning home a few days later I found a package from Sutliff containing an eight-ounce tin of their Holiday Match Mixture! It was excellent, and I have been a fan of this company ever since.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Everyone gets their pockets of hate. C&D gets theirs, D&R got theirs, Gawith, Mac Baren, etc. It all depends on where you look and what day is the week it is.

I personally don’t care for what I have sampled but I also do not smoke much outside the houses of C&D and Mac Baren with a heavy favorite being C&D. They get ripped by plenty. There can be a trend where if something doesn’t work for you, it’s garbage instead of just not working for you.

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Everyone gets their pockets of hate. C&D gets theirs, D&R got theirs, Gawith, Mac Baren, etc. It all depends on where you look and what day is the week it is.

I personally don’t care for what I have sampled but I also do not smoke much outside the houses of C&D and Mac Baren with a heavy favorite being C&D. They get ripped by plenty. There can be a trend where if something doesn’t work for you, it’s garbage instead of just not working for you.
Wise words here.

I wonder if some of the supposed stigma comes from Sutliff's oldest (am I wrong?) blend, the one that everyone and their brother loves to hate...yep, Mixture 79! When I hear "Sutliff", I think Mixture 79.

Which I quite like. For all the contempt, it's still being made, and made in the USA.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I’m curious as to why some people find them to be a lesser brand.
I haven't noticed that. 507-C is listed as the top 5 best selling bulk tobacco on Sp.com. I buy it regularly.
Their Match blends are often referenced here and some are preferred to the original blends they copy. Then again, I don't read the tobacco discussion threads because I already know what I like and stick to them. YMMV. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Elric

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wise words here.

I wonder if some of the supposed stigma comes from Sutliff's oldest (am I wrong?) blend, the one that everyone and their brother loves to hate...yep, Mixture 79! When I hear "Sutliff", I think Mixture 79.

Which I quite like. For all the contempt, it's still being made, and made in the USA.
A long time favorite. Even commissioned a pipe for it.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
WCC flakes
Peretti flakes
Sutliff flakes
Seattle Pipe Club flakes

Just the above mentions comprise SO MANY flakes that are so good and they’re all made by Sutliff.
Saying “Sutliff sucks” is like saying Ansel Adams sucks or Led Zeppelin sucks. Sure it might not be your thing but it sure as shit doesn’t “suck”.

Aug 1, 2012
I once was in a pipe club and one of the quieter members told me once that he only smoked 1Q. I respect that man and it gave me a new respect for the blend. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke I say. I have several pounds of aged tobacco and I may just add some Sutliff. Who knows.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
They make a great VaPer and, on those rare occasions when I want latakia, their renamed Balkan S 957 match is pretty fine.