PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have noticed lately that several of my regular smokes are made by Sutliff. I have also noticed over the time I have been a member of this site (approximately 2.5 years) that Sutliff sometimes is talked about like it is some garbage brand. I notice this on TR also.

Why is that? I’ve only been smoking a pipe for about 2.5 years, was there something that happened in the past that gave Sutliff a bad name? Is it because they make so many goopy aros? I know some people have a thing against heavily flavored aros.

I honestly think 507C is a top flight Virginia. I love Ready Rubbed Match. I could name many more that I like, but I’m sure you get the idea. I don’t think of Sutliff blends as inferior products, and I’m curious as to why some people find them to be a lesser brand.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have noticed lately that several of my regular smokes are made by Sutliff. I have also noticed over the time I have been a member of this site (approximately 2.5 years) that Sutliff sometimes is talked about like it is some garbage brand. I notice this on TR also.

Why is that? I’ve only been smoking a pipe for about 2.5 years, was there something that happened in the past that gave Sutliff a bad name? Is it because they make so many goopy aros? I know some people have a thing against heavily flavored aros.

I honestly think 507C is a top flight Virginia. I love Ready Rubbed Match. I could name many more that I like, but I’m sure you get the idea. I don’t think of Sutliff blends as inferior products, and I’m curious as to why some people find them to be a lesser brand.
Nope, nothing new under the sun. Sutliff bashing has been a favorite pastime of ignorant poseurs for a long time. I don't exactly know why, but I suspect that some of it is tied to Sutliff going on a promotion years ago when they sent out a lot of tins to various and sundry pipe clubs to demo their line up of really heavily topped aromatics (goopers) that were released under the Sutliff banner.

The ignorant, drooling, knuckle dragging poseurs, who also looked down on all aromatics considered this proof of Sutliff's mediocrity. Because they are ignorant, drooling, knuckle dragging spawn of generations of inbreeding between their forebears and their farm animals, they didn't know that a lot of the blends they were extolling were actually made by Sutliff, or used Sutliff tobaccos, just under different labels. Sutliff supplied tobaccos to a great many other labels, including the venerated McClelland.

As for TR, there are a handful of people whose reviews I find helpful and knowledgeable. Much of the rest of the content is strictly amateur fanboy stuff, some of it decently well written, some of it reading like it was scrawled on big chip paper with the nub of a crayola and a trace of nose pickings.

Cracklin' Tobaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
I've noticed that, as well. I keep several Sutliff products in my arsenal. 507c, 245ZBC Cavendish, Sweet Virginia, Turkish Ribbon Cut and once in awhile a tin of Alexander Bridge. I don't really go for much in the way of aromatics which is the market Sutliff leans into hard. I find everything I use from them to be of superior quality.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I don’t care for them as much as I do C&D, Scandinavian, and Mac Baren, but some of their blends are pretty good. Sometimes they have a rough edge to their Englishes I’ve noticed where as others do Latakia and Orientals smoother. That’s just me though. I appreciate them for being around. We need as many blends as possible and they’re a pretty big deal as far as pipe tobacco goes. Oh, and I bet they supply a lot of the top B&Ms who actually make their own blends.

Last edited:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
As a relatively novice pipe smoker who is happy to let Jesse and the more experienced ones delve into the specifics for y'all, from my vantage point I would chalk this up to the usual problem that plagues this planet, which is that people don't know what the hell they're talking about, and insist on broadcasting this fact to anyone and everyone who will listen.

That said, if the only three tobaccos in existence were 1M, 507-C, and Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don’t care for them as much as I do C&D, Scandinavian, and Mac Baren, but some of their blends are pretty good. Sometimes they have a rough edge to their Englishes I’ve noticed where as others do Latakia and Orientals smoother. That’s just me though. I appreciate them for being around. We need as many blends as possible and they’re a pretty big deal as far as pipe tobacco goes. Oh, and I bet they supply a lot of the top B&Ms who actually make their own blends.
They supply tobaccos to Peretti, Watch City, KBV and a number of others.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
another way to put it being the second most known blender after lane puts it in the perfect snob cross hairs. Everyone knows Bud is for losers who don't really like beer, but if you make fun of the second most known brewer you show more cred. Oh wait I meant lane and sutliff. But just like the beer snob thing they will complain about these companies while drinking beer made or distributed by these companies.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Nope, nothing new under the sun. Sutliff bashing has been a favorite pastime of ignorant poseurs for a long time. I don't exactly know why, but I suspect that some of it is tied to Sutliff going on a promotion years ago when they sent out a lot of tins to various and sundry pipe clubs to demo their line up of really heavily topped aromatics (goopers) that were released under the Sutliff banner.

The ignorant, drooling, knuckle dragging poseurs, who also looked down on all aromatics considered this proof of Sutliff's mediocrity. Because they are ignorant, drooling, knuckle dragging spawn of generations of inbreeding between their forebears and their farm animals, they didn't know that a lot of the blends they were extolling were actually made by Sutliff, or used Sutliff tobaccos, just under different labels. Sutliff supplied tobaccos to a great many other labels, including the venerated McClelland.

As for TR, there are a handful of people whose reviews I find helpful and knowledgeable. Much of the rest of the content is strictly amateur fanboy stuff, some of it decently well written, some of it reading like it was scrawled on big chip paper with the nub of a crayola and a trace of nose pickings.
Strong memo to follow.
🤣

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Please, not so loud, the walls have ears. Let sleeping dogs lie. We're under no obligation to educate anyone.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I love 507C Virginia Slices. It has replaced Reiner Gold for me. I have a ton jarred up. However, I just want to point out (and this is no slight to Sutliff) but I have always suspected that 507C is actually manufactured in Denmark by Mac Baren. A few have speculated about this. Anyone know for sure? Either way, it doesn't matter to me, as long as it is always available at such a great price.