PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
So to get to brass tacks, he acts like an asshole 99% of the time and offends 65% of the people here. But he sent a few people tobacco so he’s wicked cool.
Here’s the thing, you can only be completely offensive for a finite period of time.
So the lesson is maybe shut the fuck up and reflect on what you’ve typed before you hit the button.
This isn’t new or unique.
Not sure why, or if, you are trying to draw me out on this.
If you reread my post you’ll see I said nothing about condoning his offensive posts, his behavior or that it was the least bit cool.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Peregrinus, please don't make jpberg mansplain it again. BROBS = "asshole" who should "shut the fuck up" and has made the mistake of being neither "new or unique." Have we got it?

I might also add BROBS never said quaint folksy phrases like "fiddlesticks" or "carp" instead of crap. Even though everyone knows such phrases are endlessly delightful no matter how many times they're repeated on a forum. Damn him.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
FWIW --- I worked with BROBS on a project that required significant communication and frequent written exchanges.

He was consistently articulate, measured, reliable, and considerate in that situation. Good humored, too. There were no problems of any kind before, during, or after.

I came away thinking that if he were a neighbor or something, we'd get along fine in the real world as well.

I have no idea why his "forum face" (for lack of a better term) was often the opposite of that.

My point? I have none. Just wanted to add a data point to the conversation.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
BROBS = "asshole" who should "shut the fuck up" and has made the mistake of being neither "new or unique." Have we got it?

I might also add BROBS never said quaint folksy phrases like "fiddlesticks" or "carp" instead of crap. Even though everyone knows such phrases are endlessly delightful no matter how many times they're repeated on a forum. Damn him.
I get he pissed in your porridge. That’s awful.
Reread my posts.
I have no idea why his "forum face" (for lack of a better term) was often the opposite of that.
@BROBS is (or was?) a hothead and a provocateur. He said as much a number of times. He enjoyed it, probably too well.

Reactions: NomadOrb

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
He was consistently articulate, measured, reliable, and considerate in that situation. Good humored, too.
That was my experience also those few times I had exchanges with him over private messaging. On account of that I couldn't bring myself to dislike him even when he infuriated me by shewing that 'hothead and provocateur' side of his on many threads.

Still, being a resident gadfly is counterproductive, as it makes it difficult to discuss issues that are important because gadflies tend to push said discussion into a politicised debate, obscuring the valid points that were trying to be made and derailing the thread with endless and inane bickering.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don’t like pushing my opinions on people, and I’d never tell anyone here what they should think. You can obviously form whatever opinion you want, but I personally don’t think it’s cool to make negative comments about a guy that’s not here to defend himself. ?‍♂️ Like @Richmond B. Funkenhouser said, “Kumbaya” ?
And for what it’s worth, there is an ignore feature here, I believe

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
So to get to brass tacks, he acts like an asshole 99% of the time and offends 65% of the people here. But he sent a few people tobacco so he’s wicked cool.
Here’s the thing, you can only be completely offensive for a finite period of time.
So the lesson is maybe shut the fuck up and reflect on what you’ve typed before you hit the button.
This isn’t new or unique.

2 bans in what ? A month ? Enuf' sed'
Time to move on and avoid this women drama stuff. I prefer a tobacco forum over beauty salon gossip.

Last edited:
Reactions: gervais

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah I like the guy and I also think good moderation keeps forums like this much more pleasant. I mean who really cares what stupid political opinions we've all so proudly adopted over the years. It's nice to have a place where you don't have to see certain sides of people, you know that side that we all have which is stupid enough and arrogant enough to think of all people it's mee who knows what everyone and the world needs always. You know kind the same way I like most of you but I hope you keep your pants on in public.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
who really cares what stupid political opinions we've all so proudly adopted over the years.
It matters to a point. The 'birds of a feather' principle. Nowadays political stances denote deep thoughts and beliefs about the nature of things and what a person holds as right and wrong. You wouldn't wanna be making best of friends with someone only to find out that he likes to torture puppies in his spare time, would you? (This is an example for the sake of illustration, by the way: I know of no one here who tortures puppies in his free time.)

It's nice to have a place where you don't have to see certain sides of people
Yup: that'd be the liquour store. ?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It matters to a point. The 'birds of a feather' principle. Nowadays political stances denote deep thoughts and beliefs about the nature of things and what a person holds as right and wrong. You wouldn't wanna be making best of friends with someone only to find out that he likes to torture puppies in his spare time, would you? (This is an example for the sake of illustration, by the way: I know of no one here who tortures puppies in his free time.)

Yup: that'd be the liquour store. ?
Meh, I see your point, but disagree. I have plenty of very good friends that are on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum from me, and it’s really not a big deal. I don’t view them as being morally inferior in any way, nor they me. We just don’t usually talk politics. When we do, it’s usually from a position of trying to understand the other’s point of view rather than trying to beat the other into submission with our own. And sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. If everyone had the same opinions and beliefs it’d be a pretty boring place.

Status
Not open for further replies.