PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
We are very lucky in Sydney Oz to have a great selection of not just "generic" Chinese restaurants, but genuine regional Chinese cuisine due to the large number of immigrants from Hong Kong and China in the past 30-40 years. A very different experience to my early days in Sydney in the late '60s ?

I have also encountered (no, I didn't try it) an Indian Chinese restaurant ie Chinese food as found in India. ?

What I find interesting is that most "Indian" takeaway shops/cafes in Sydney (as opposed to Indian restaurants) are run by Pakistanis and Nepalese. When quizzed, a few owners have replied that most people are familiar with "Indian" and less accepting of Pakistani/Nepalese cuisine :(

• Sad
Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Chinese people are very ingenious when it comes to food. They will fit the taste of the local people. Chinese food in America isn't exactly what they eat in China. In Korea, they make Korean style Chinese food. Mainly hand pull noodles in number of sauces. Some Chinese dishes fit to Korean taste. Among them, Jellyfish skin salad. There used to be three of them around our area, but they all shut down. Two due to aging chefs. One just didn't do too well due to location. Was watching Netflix, and there was a K-drama about Korean style Chinese restaurant. I'm starving for some good hand stretched noodles.
Hang on... do jellyfish really have skin?

I traveled extensively in SW Asia & the surrounding islands and came to love the cuisine, especially the local & regional variations. You are right, the Americanized version is not the same thing.

Similarly, what most people consider "Mexican food" is actually TexMex and is it's own distinctive cuisine and almost entirely different from the food cooked in Central and South America.

Now I I'm hungry & could really go for some Chino Bandido.
View attachment 117713

I think I'll have to disagree on one aspect of what you stated. I've lived in Texas most of my life, I was raised on Tex-Mex, and I've traveled extensively around the States. You'll be hard pressed to find authentic Tex-Mex outside of Texas. I've tried looking for it. Now, in New Mexico it's all New Mexico Mexican cuisine quite different, California has their own twist on Mexican food as well, Colorado also does their own thing, the Midwest states seem to know nothing about what good Mexican food is, much less anything with flavor or spice. Everywhere else is some version of something spicy they call Mexican food, but make no mistake, real Tex-Mex is pretty much exclusive to Texas.

Last edited:

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Hang on... do jellyfish really have skin?

I think I'll have to disagree on one aspect of what you stated. I've lived in Texas most of my life, I was raised on Tex-Mex, and I've traveled extensively around the States. You'll be hard pressed to find authentic Tex-Mex outside of Texas. I've tried looking for it. Now, in New Mexico it's all New Mexico Mexican cuisine quite different, California has their own twist on Mexican food as well, Colorado also does their own thing, the Midwest states seem to know nothing about what good Mexican food is, much less anything with flavor or spice. Everywhere else is some version of something spicy they call Mexican food, but make no mistake, real Tex-Mex is pretty much exclusive to Texas.
I don't think we disagree as much as you think. I too grew up in and spent more than half my in Texas. TexMex is definitely it's own thing, and you really cannot not find it outside of Texas.

The point of my statement was that TexMex and Mexican food are not the same cuisine. That being said, when most Americans think "Mexican" they are more often than not referring to a dish that has it's origin in TexMex.

Either way, they both good eats. ?

Reactions: monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I don't think we disagree as much as you think. I too grew up in and spent more than half my in Texas. TexMex is definitely it's own thing, and you really cannot not find it outside of Texas.

The point of my statement was that TexMex and Mexican food are not the same cuisine. That being said, when most Americans think "Mexican" they are more often than not referring to a dish that has it's origin in TexMex.

Either way, they both good eats. ?

Well, if that's what you meant then we agree! I was going off this comment in your post "what most people consider "Mexican food" is actually TexMex", which is true only in Texas i suppose.
Having said that, it's interesting though, I think the pallet of Americans has changed tremendously over the last 20-30 years. There's a ton of foodies like me out there now and most people are far more educated on good food and foreign cuisine than ever before here in the States ... which is great! We have far more options for eating foods from other countries than we did when I was growing up.

Reactions: Streeper541