PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Chinese people are very ingenious when it comes to food. They will fit the taste of the local people. Chinese food in America isn't exactly what they eat in China. In Korea, they make Korean style Chinese food. Mainly hand pull noodles in number of sauces. Some Chinese dishes fit to Korean taste. Among them, Jellyfish skin salad. There used to be three of them around our area, but they all shut down. Two due to aging chefs. One just didn't do too well due to location. Was watching Netflix, and there was a K-drama about Korean style Chinese restaurant. I'm starving for some good hand stretched noodles.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Between New York and Philadelphia, our Chinese food is phenomenal. Dim Sum abounds not only within City China Towns but throughout the State of New Jersey.

I have eaten many home cooked meals at the home of friends from Taiwan whom are Taoist and Vegetarian. If I could eat like that every day, I could be vegetarian. It’s nothing like the sugary, heavily sauced high fat and sodium most equate with Chinese food.

As to adapting the food to the tastes of the people. I never noticed this more than ordering an egg roll in Puerto Rico which was filled with salty, sausage. So yes, local tastes are adapted and reflected.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I traveled extensively in SW Asia & the surrounding islands and came to love the cuisine, especially the local & regional variations. You are right, the Americanized version is not the same thing.

Similarly, what most people consider "Mexican food" is actually TexMex and is it's own distinctive cuisine and almost entirely different from the food cooked in Central and South America.

Now I I'm hungry & could really go for some Chino Bandido.
download (2).png

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
We had a ramen place here in Michigan called noodle monkey. It was a hidden gem. They made everything and it was delicious. To get a idea on how true it was, I had a buddy who lived in Okinawa for 3 years try it out. He obviously said it was nowhere as good as in Japan, but he said it was the best he had in America. Sad it gone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have a large Korean grocery that includes a small restaurant near us, and it is a good place to buy Kimchi and take-out dumplings. I have noticed that the clientele is primarily Korean and Asian, and the owners seem a little self-conscious about serving non Asian customers, which is a shame, because with a little more confidence, I think they could build a large customer base in the larger community. I guess they are suffering all the problems of the restaurant business at large in today's world, but they seem to be making it with their community. My wife who used to do restaurant reviewing and food writing for the main newspaper on Long Island notes that Chinese restaurants are especially variable with the chefs moving from one restaurant to another for better pay. You get major improvements and decided declines with no notice. The best place can become the worst, and vise versa, over one day. My favorite Chinese take-out locally has slid a bit over time; it is family run, but I think hard times have reduced the quality of ingredients and some of the older generation has left the kitchen. Meantime, our good little bodega nearby has gone belly up and been taken over by the auto parts shop next door that was their landlord; we miss them, especially the Mexican Coke in glass bottles with cane sugar and warm tortillas sold out of coolers. With Chinatowns, my wife says it is often wise to check with one of the elders in nearby stores to find out where the good chefs are working that day; it really matters.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
We have a large Korean grocery that includes a small restaurant near us, and it is a good place to buy Kimchi and take-out dumplings. I have noticed that the clientele is primarily Korean and Asian, and the owners seem a little self-conscious about serving non Asian customers, which is a shame, because with a little more confidence, I think they could build a large customer base in the larger community. I guess they are suffering all the problems of the restaurant business at large in today's world, but they seem to be making it with their community. My wife who used to do restaurant reviewing and food writing for the main newspaper on Long Island notes that Chinese restaurants are especially variable with the chefs moving from one restaurant to another for better pay. You get major improvements and decided declines with no notice. The best place can become the worst, and vise versa, over one day. My favorite Chinese take-out locally has slid a bit over time; it is family run, but I think hard times have reduced the quality of ingredients and some of the older generation has left the kitchen. Meantime, our good little bodega nearby has gone belly up and been taken over by the auto parts shop next door that was their landlord; we miss them, especially the Mexican Coke in glass bottles with cane sugar and warm tortillas sold out of coolers. With Chinatowns, my wife says it is often wise to check with one of the elders in nearby stores to find out where the good chefs are working that day; it really matters.
I agree. No different then this forum, regardless who you are, we all share the love and passion for a good smoke. I feel the same way about food. Regardless the food or culture, I want to dig in and learn and find something I’ve never knew existed and enjoy a little more of a piece of life. I love Asian and Mexican cuisine, mostly because of the use of fresh ingredients and hot peppers.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
In KC we have more Chinese restaurants than you can shake a stick at. And many are very good unless you want true authentic Chinese. Then you are SOL. We have a total of 1 authentic Chinese restaurant. It the only place the Chinese go when they want a taste of home. They have two menus. One for non-Chinese patrons and one for the Chinese. And there is very little similarity between them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh gosh locally the Chinese restaurants have a rotating crew. When I used to work with some of the guys at the supermarket I'd be able to find out who was working in what restaurants at what time. Sadly there was one Chinese place that was family owned and always good. Not sure why they closed but they had been there for many decades so.....

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
dc9421c0fa76c5a515d6de30bcd9d5c1.gif

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Here, sorta ruins it for me when I see a Mexican cook in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant.
Nothing against Mexican cooks, they are fantastic but just not in a chinese restaurant. To me.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I traveled extensively in SW Asia & the surrounding islands and came to love the cuisine, especially the local & regional variations. You are right, the Americanized version is not the same thing.

Similarly, what most people consider "Mexican food" is actually TexMex and is it's own distinctive cuisine and almost entirely different from the food cooked in Central and South America.

Now I I'm hungry & could really go for some Chino Bandido.
View attachment 117713
General Tso chicken and black bean burrito, baby!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Between New York and Philadelphia, our Chinese food is phenomenal. Dim Sum abounds not only within City China Towns but throughout the State of New Jersey.

I have eaten many home cooked meals at the home of friends from Taiwan whom are Taoist and Vegetarian. If I could eat like that every day, I could be vegetarian. It’s nothing like the sugary, heavily sauced high fat and sodium most equate with Chinese food.

As to adapting the food to the tastes of the people. I never noticed this more than ordering an egg roll in Puerto Rico which was filled with salty, sausage. So yes, local tastes are adapted and reflected.
When I was an undergrad way back in the early 70's I had a friend from Taiwan, (who achieved his dream of becoming a film director and actually had a film entered in Cannes some 8 years ago or so), who offered to cook me a typical Taiwanese dinner. Loving oriental cuisine, I took him up on it. Without a doubt, it was the worst oriental meal I've had to this day. Expecting just because he was was from that part of the world, he could cook, would be like expecting that, because I'm from the US I could cook American dishes well. :) At that time, he also didn't tend to wash his pans, claiming that due to the spices he used, germs were properly disposed of.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
When I was an undergrad way back in the early 70's I had a friend from Taiwan, (who achieved his dream of becoming a film director and actually had a film entered in Cannes some 8 years ago or so), who offered to cook me a typical Taiwanese dinner. Loving oriental cuisine, I took him up on it. Without a doubt, it was the worst oriental meal I've had to this day. Expecting just because he was was from that part of the world, he could cook, would be like expecting that, because I'm from the US I could cook American dishes well. :) At that time, he also didn't tend to wash his pans, claiming that due to the spices he used, germs were properly disposed of.

Kind of like Australia being known for its beer drinking but me not able to love any of our domestic/commercially produced beer..