SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Those two section lids are the worst for tobacco, IMO. They are designed for pressure canning, and the ring applies absolutely no tension to the lid. If you go to a canning website or forum, the company will tell you this themselves.

The one piece lids with a seal are far superior, because tightening those will tighten the seal. And, you can get those from the same bulk site above that I posted.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Richmond B. Funkenhouser

Kerr are really good, at least they have always worked for me.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
These jars have no markings.. same thing though two piece lid. These have no design, I believe they are marked made in china. The only difference in functional design i can see is that the rubber seal is clear or white instead of pink or red.. This may indicate that it's a different material.
The Chinese have the habit of showing utter contempt for civility much less consumer laws to increase profits.

They added formaldehyde [melanin] to baby formula to trick testing into registering higher protein levels.
Too bad that it killed dozens and injured thousands of babies.

Companies like Mattel reject toys regularly that have been painted with lead.

Chinese textiles are treated with formaldehyde [they love that stuff] to decrease wrinkling.

When my boy was little I even noticed that formalin [formaldehyde] was an ingredient in Chinese made baby shampoo. I mean, ffs, what is wrong with these people?

Just a few examples that should be sufficient enough warning not to buy anything that's Made In China.

Their mason jars are probably sprayed with Chinavirus and designed to shatter after one years use [And it's probably a safe bet that formaldehyde was used somehow in it's manufacture - they think that shits gold]

I'd go with the mylar bag suggestion before I'd trust anything from China.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Do a quick search on your local Craigslist.
I bought a couple cases this past summer, when all the stores were sold out.............. cheap.
Used is ok too, just wash them good, or run through the dishwasher...... just my $.02
I boil the jars prior to refilling. Same as canning vegitables.

Reactions: chopper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I didn’t realize Ball/Kerr are no longer made by Ball.

Probably China now too....

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
We're still out of mason jars here in my town... I've got a few pounds of bulk piling up on me. Has anyone tried the knock off mason type jars? They're probably made in china and available from Dollar Tree. Seems like a pretty simple device.. how could they be inferior?

The real deal can be ordered from Amazon, but they are quite a bit more expensive that way.

Has anyone tried Non-mason mason jars?
I use Ball, Mason and Kerr. Sorry to hear of the shortage in your area. The stores here are stacked with them. Even WalMart.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
My recently excessive TAD has caused me to need more jars and I’m in the same situation here. No jars :mad: . I do have Mylar bags that I‘ll use if I can’t find jars. Amazon seems to charge a lot for their jars and I can’t pull the trigger going that route right now.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
My recently excessive TAD has caused me to need more jars and I’m in the same situation here. No jars :mad: . I do have Mylar bags that I‘ll use if I can’t find jars. Amazon seems to charge a lot for their jars and I can’t pull the trigger going that route right now.

About 50 bucks for a flat.. but hey, the shipping is free. Plus you might have a couple of broken jars after the postal workers drop kick the box a few times.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Crazy.. I was in a nearby larger town today.. nothing there either, not even lids.
WalMart here is showing (in stock) for pick up $9 for 12 pint, $12 for 6 qt. To ship is crazy expensive. Try WalMart and use the availability filter to see the nearest store to you with stock. Try Lowes and Home Depot too. Local hardware\home and garden might have them.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
WalMart here is showing (in stock) for pick up $9 for 12 pint, $12 for 6 qt. To ship is crazy expensive. Try WalMart and use the availability filter to see the nearest store to you with stock. Try Lowes and Home Depot too. Local hardware\home and garden might have them.

I checked two Walmart stores, and Lowes. That was in Dothan, AL. My wife says they don't carry as many during the winter, because there's less canning being done. I guess everybody and his brother has something he's trying to save in jars anyway.

Lowes acted like they have never carried them.. I never went and picked those up at Dollar Tree, but I will tomorrow.

Reactions: chopper