PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Few dozen knives for different situations but my EDC is a Kershaw Scallion 1620.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Tapio Wirkkala pukka. Decidedly sharp.

tappio.JPG

tappio%2525202.JPG

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Beautiful knife Romeo.

I've been looking at Pukko knives for awhile, but never got around to buying one.

Been looking at Ragnars forge http://www.ragweedforge.com/

That knife of yours has got to be 30-40 years old ??

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
I carry a Case Trapper. I've carried a pocket knife on me since I got my first Swiss Army Knife at 10. That reminds me, anyone got any tips for keeping that Chrome Vanadium blade clean? Mine seems to always be getting rust...

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Yep. It's a magnificent knife, too, I wish I could find the smaller one--it's sprouted legs somewhere along the line. This is, I think, the second incarnation of wirkkala that has the laminated steel, as you can see the difference in color right along the edge--I confess to knowing next to nothing on the subject, however. It can get terrifyingly sharp. I hear they're collectible now, not sure I could part with it though. It's just so well designed, I've never held another that is close.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've bought several Swedish Mora blades and made handles for them over the years. Ben's Backwoods has great prices on Moras and the Finnish Lauris. I've also got a Rosco post WWII damascus dagger with a double edge. My former girlfriend almost took her finger off with it.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I really like Pukko knives. I have forged several. Both in plain steel and laminated. The forge weld for the laminated is fun to do.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
a knife - one is allways with me - a beautiful Laguiole with 440 steel blade and olive wood on handle ... allways sharp as it can be :)

once i almost forgot to remove it when going into an American Embassy ... almost a bad mistake... it is allways with me so i forgot to do that :)

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
great collection bowhatchie! and great link baron, thank you.

@mukihr--I love laguiole knives, i lost one that i'd received as a gift from a client when i was a journeyman carpenter. :crying:

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I only carry anymore the one I got from Blackie, The wood carver who makes walking sticks, leather bags,walkingsticks, and small knives. Or the one I made. so I carry one of two hand made knives non of which could be confused for a store bought one.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
A few months ago this thread got me to missing my old laguiole. For a while the EDC has been a rather undignified, though entirely utilitarian, folding razor knife. A glorified but well made box cutter. I found another laguiole, a very nice Gille, but...it just isn't the same as that one that I'd lost; there's no sentimentality behind it for me.

$(KGrHqQOKp0E4lSIsSizBOLY9PBIfg~~0_3.JPG

If you like it, send me a pm, we can talk.
Inspired by the testimonials from this thread, I thought I'd give the Kershaw Leek a try, and am very pleased with it so far. Sturdy and of a good tactile heft, yet very slim--perfect for every day carry. I find I appreciate the clip a lot more than I used to; with previous knives it was always poorly placed, poorly weighted, poorly designed. This knife nails it. The blade came sharp enough out of the box, and a few minutes with the diamond stones later it's frightening. Best in class in this price range, for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion on a great knife, members. :clap:
kershaw.JPG

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
carry two at all times. a Cold Steel pro lite folder and a Tops Overlander sheath knife. The Tops rides in a Kydex sheath that runs along the belt line, so it is easy to conceal and never in the way. The are excellent knives. Tough and sturdy. The cold steel is a clip knife that rides easy in the pocket but is quick and sharp. I never leave home without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.