PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 1, 2014
All this talk of knee pain got me curious:

Interesting read.
Apparently marathon runners actually get bigger knees over time.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I personally had my Left knee replaced in December of 2019. Within 12 weeks, I was walking normally and gained complete non-swelled range of motion within the year. That is typical of any major invasive knee surgery.

Key Notes:
With today's technology, you can be up semi-weight bearing on the day of your surgery with a Walker.
Swelling and pain will occur.
Use the ice machine - it's your best friend.
Follow ALL PT directions and do what is needed.
Sometimes the pain will make you cry - it's OK. Keep going - don't skip PT or not do the required reps.
Take your meds on schedule - even if it means setting alarms to wake you for a 3 a.m. dosage.

If you do exactly as told (some steps may vary) - you'll come out on the other end much better than you were.

Best wishes! Speedy recovery.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
My dad had a double knee replacement about ten years ago. My sister (then a nurse), made him do all of the prep for the surgery that included all physical therapy, mobility, and strengthening exercises that are needed in order to recover quicker. Begrudgingly, he did the work and they had him up and moving around a few hours after the surgery. Over the following two weeks, his recovery was exponentially faster than those who did not do the work and he is now walking around like a man 30-years younger.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For the past couple of years both of my knees have been painful. It started with minor pain after a bike ride, hiking, climbing steps etc. Overtime they continued to get worse. I had x-rays done in 12/2021 and my left knee is bone on bone and the right knee still has some cartilage. I had Kenalog injections and that helped the pain for about 3 weeks. My right knee with some cartilage hurts more than the left knee that is bone on bone.

Yesterday morning I had arthroscopic surgery done on my right knee. Afterwards my doctor stated that it was worse than the x-rays showed and I will eventually need the right knee replaced. I'm fine with that because I'm having the left knee replaced later this year. Eventually I'll have two new knees.

I know several people who had knee replacements and all are happy with their results, except one women in her mid 70's. That one unhappy patient got a severe infection where the doctors had to go back in and remove her new knee until the infection was gone and then went back in and replaced it.

I'm 63 yo and too young to give up the activities that I enjoy.

Anyway, anyone here had any knees replaced and would you like to share your story...good or bad?

Thanks
My mom had both hers done at the same time many years ago. She did well and was much older than you (us, lol).

I had a meniscus repair in ‘14. I have a friend who is a PT who recommended one surgeon over a couple others in the same group based on recovery ease/time when my wife had her shoulder (labrum) “done” and I used the same guy. He was “least invasive”. So you never know where good info will come from.

Mine came out well, FWIW, and is going strong. Just no running on it, but I can still tromp the grasslands for pheasants and hike anywhere I want. It loves activity!

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My mom had both hers done at the same time many years ago. She did well and was much older than you (us, lol).

I had a meniscus repair in ‘14. I have a friend who is a PT who recommended one surgeon over a couple others in the same group based on recovery ease/time when my wife had her shoulder (labrum) “done” and I used the same guy. He was “least invasive”. So you never know where good info will come from.

Mine came out well, FWIW, and is going strong. Just no running on it, but I can still tromp the grasslands for pheasants and hike anywhere I want. It loves activity!
I'm happy to report that I'm on day 18 after the arthroscopic surgery and my right knee feels great. In four weeks I go back to the doctor for a gel injection and then I should be done until October when I get my left knee replaced. I'm looking forward to it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Best wishes for a problem-free recovery from your planned knee surgery.

Thankfully I have not had to face that problem yet
My father had both his hips replaced in his 90's. The best advice his surgeon gave him was to do the post-op rehab in a rehab hospital and not at home.
Both times he was walking well after just 1 week of rehab.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Best wishes for a problem-free recovery from your planned knee surgery.

Thankfully I have not had to face that problem yet
My father had both his hips replaced in his 90's. The best advice his surgeon gave him was to do the post-op rehab in a rehab hospital and not at home.
Both times he was walking well after just 1 week of rehab.
Yes, everyone I talk to who had any replacement, they all say the same...rehab, rehab, rehab.

Reactions: OzPiper
For the past couple of years both of my knees have been painful. It started with minor pain after a bike ride, hiking, climbing steps etc. Overtime they continued to get worse. I had x-rays done in 12/2021 and my left knee is bone on bone and the right knee still has some cartilage. I had Kenalog injections and that helped the pain for about 3 weeks. My right knee with some cartilage hurts more than the left knee that is bone on bone.

Yesterday morning I had arthroscopic surgery done on my right knee. Afterwards my doctor stated that it was worse than the x-rays showed and I will eventually need the right knee replaced. I'm fine with that because I'm having the left knee replaced later this year. Eventually I'll have two new knees.

I know several people who had knee replacements and all are happy with their results, except one women in her mid 70's. That one unhappy patient got a severe infection where the doctors had to go back in and remove her new knee until the infection was gone and then went back in and replaced it.

Anyway, anyone here had any knees replaced and would you like to share your story...good or bad?

Thanks
Sorry to hear - one of my employees had both knees done (not at the same time). He is VERY happy he did. He is mid 50s and good 100 pounds over weight and he is moving much better and may even drop some weight. He also had both hips done- the hips were much faster recovery than the knees.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My wife is 8 weeks out of her first and 2 weeks out from her second total knee replacement. Her Doctor prescribes rf ablation about 6 weeks out and uses the Omni Robotic assisted technology. She’s doing very well!

Reactions: scloyd and OzPiper

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
My knees are toast... unfortunately, at 42, the VA won't replace them until I'm 55-60 and I can't afford it otherwise.

I've needed it for a few years. I'm starting to have hip & back problems now too. Partly because of my knees, partly because I'm getting arthritis, partly because I'm getting fat. ?

I'm glad it's going well for you though @scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My knees are toast... unfortunately, at 42, the VA won't replace them until I'm 55-60 and I can't afford it otherwise.

I've needed it for a few years. I'm starting to have hip & back problems now too. Partly because of my knees, partly because I'm getting arthritis, partly because I'm getting fat. ?

The medical costs are crazy. We received the EOBs (explanation of benefits) on Saturday.
For the arthroscopic surgery on the right knee:
Hospital - $21,963
Surgeon - $14,473
Anesthesiologist - $803
Misc. - $242
Total - $37481

Our portion $2996 and our out of pocket is $4000 for the year. Our out of pocket is now met, so the left knee replacement will cost us $0...that's why I have to get it done in 2022.

@Streeper541 Good luck to you. I can't imagine going through this pain for another 13-18 years. Also, thank you for your service.

@daveinlax Best wishes to your wife.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio

How long ago was this? If they are bone on bone they will not make anyone wait until 55.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
*UPDATE*

My left knee was replaced yesterday morning. I spent last night in the hospital and if my physical therapy goes well, I'll go home today.

I am looking forward to being able to hike, bike and play with my grandson's like I did in the past.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
*UPDATE*

My left knee was replaced yesterday morning. I spent last night in the hospital and if my physical therapy goes well, I'll go home today.

I am looking forward to being able to hike, bike and play with my grandson's like I did in the past.
Best wishes for your recovery and rehab.
I hope you get back to doing the things you enjoy soon

Reactions: scloyd and Zero

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Thanks
seriously the number of times I've heard why did I wait so long for the knee replacement. And frankly it seems like the parts and the doctors are much better at it and steadily getting so. And also you can pretend to be part bionic afterwards so.....

Reactions: swampgrizzly

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
My wife will be having knee replacement surgery in a few weeks, by the same surgeon who did her hip replacement surgery, which was successful. My advice to all who require surgery is: find the best, most experienced skilled surgeon you can.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
seriously the number of times I've heard why did I wait so long for the knee replacement. And frankly it seems like the parts and the doctors are much better at it and steadily getting so. And also you can pretend to be part bionic afterwards so.....
I had my left knee replaced 8 years ago and at that time there was some degree of concern as to how long knee replacements would last. Estimated life span for the knee replacement back then was 20-30 years. Surgeons were discouraging patients from doing the replacements too young in life for fear they might need to redo the replacement in senior years when the patient might have other health issues making the surgery and recovery more difficult. At my last check up my imaging tests shows no wear to my replacemtent joint and the surgeon expects that I will go to my grave with my existing replacement joint.

Speaking of going to my grave; while in physical therapy I met a gentleman who had had both knees, both hips, and both shoulder joints replaced. His wife told me that she was going to have him taken to a scrap yard instead of a graveyard when he passes away!