PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
For the past couple of years both of my knees have been painful. It started with minor pain after a bike ride, hiking, climbing steps etc. Overtime they continued to get worse. I had x-rays done in 12/2021 and my left knee is bone on bone and the right knee still has some cartilage. I had Kenalog injections and that helped the pain for about 3 weeks. My right knee with some cartilage hurts more than the left knee that is bone on bone.

Yesterday morning I had arthroscopic surgery done on my right knee. Afterwards my doctor stated that it was worse than the x-rays showed and I will eventually need the right knee replaced. I'm fine with that because I'm having the left knee replaced later this year. Eventually I'll have two new knees.

I know several people who had knee replacements and all are happy with their results, except one women in her mid 70's. That one unhappy patient got a severe infection where the doctors had to go back in and remove her new knee until the infection was gone and then went back in and replaced it.

I'm 63 yo and too young to give up the activities that I enjoy.

Anyway, anyone here had any knees replaced and would you like to share your story...good or bad?

Thanks

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Be careful. I had 3 back surgeries and the last was a spinal fusion with all kinds of metal. I was told I would be ok and now I am an invalid and has to use a wheel chair. I would get 2nd and 3rd opinions when it comes to doctors. I would also ask what are the chances of you getting Neuropathy. It is caused by nerve damage and it can totally make your life miserable. I wish you the best of luck when you get your surgeries.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My step-mother was in her early 90's when she had both knees replaced over a one year period. She stated she wished she'd had the surgery 10 years earlier. She was walking well at 102 when she died.

I've heard many who'd under gone knee replacements who wished they hadn't tolerated the pain for so many years and had the surgery years earlier. Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife had a hip replacement about 12 years ago. She got through the orthopedic surgery well and was up on a walker in days. However, she had a problem with a staph infection, so they had to do follow-up surgery to clean out the area, and problems had just begun. Since then she has had two complete revisions, with new prostheses both times, and other related surgeries.

She's lively and resilient, and most of her life she was an active hiker and traveler. Now she is mobility limited. Staph and other bacteria can live on your skin and is omnipresent, and more so in hospital settings. So be extra wary of those, and if you are asked to wash with surgical soap three times, do it four. I should add, the original surgery was done at a university research hospital in NY state, not in the boonies.

Many people breeze through hip and knee replacements in weeks. Just be aware, hazards exist.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My wife is a patient finacial counselor for a large medical system (over 20 years). My surgeon is highly recommended and I'm confident in his ability to perform the procedure.

I've also heard from many others that the PT is very important.

The plan is to have the left knee replaced in October. I've got to get it done before the new year, out of pocket will be met. ?

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For the past couple of years both of my knees have been painful. It started with minor pain after a bike ride, hiking, climbing steps etc. Overtime they continued to get worse. I had x-rays done in 12/2021 and my left knee is bone on bone and the right knee still has some cartilage. I had Kenalog injections and that helped the pain for about 3 weeks. My right knee with some cartilage hurts more than the left knee that is bone on bone.

Yesterday morning I had arthroscopic surgery done on my right knee. Afterwards my doctor stated that it was worse than the x-rays showed and I will eventually need the right knee replaced. I'm fine with that because I'm having the left knee replaced later this year. Eventually I'll have two new knees.

I know several people who had knee replacements and all are happy with their results, except one women in her mid 70's. That one unhappy patient got a severe infection where the doctors had to go back in and remove her new knee until the infection was gone and then went back in and replaced it.

Anyway, anyone here had any knees replaced and would you like to share your story...good or bad?

Thanks
honestly it seems like one of those things that they get better and better at over time. Though most people I've known are happy with it and if anything wish they had done it sooner.

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
Wife had both knees done last year.Her knees are perfect now,but she said the post op pain was the worst thing she ever experienced. Be sure to go to therapy afterwards,dont skip it.

Reactions: edger and scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
UPDATE***

It's been 5 days since I had arthroscopic knee surgery on my right knee. I am amazed how well it went. I'm walking and going up and down stairs (not over doing it) and no pain. The doctor gave me some leg/knee exercises to do two days after surgery and I've been doing them and it must be helping.

The plan now is to get the left knee replaced in October and I'm actually looking forward to it. I understand that knee replacement is more invasive than arthroscopic and the recovery will take longer. I'm looking forward to being more active again with my grandsons. Before the arthroscopic knee surgery last week, I couldn't even kick a ball in the backyard with the boys.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have just read a fascinating article about the mid Victorian Britons health circa 1870. It would appear in dietary terms this was the 'Golden Age' with very little sugar, ample fresh vegetables, weak beer and very low to moderate tobacco intake. Apparently people enjoyed robust health until their early 70s and then got killed off but with very few suffering from long term debilitating diseases. What was interesting was that the average worker walked on about 30 miles a week and yet seemed to escape the issues with knee and hip replacements. Perhaps it was diet or maybe people just didn't mention that type of thing back then. Anyway @scloyd I wish you a rapid and hassle free recovery.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015

Thanks
I'm like you. 62 and play ultimate 3-4 times a week. 170lbs and fit. Did Ironman and marathons for 20 years and beat my knees up pretty good. Luckily I have escaped with only 1 scope to clean up some chondromalacia.

I have several family members that have had knees and a hip replaced. It's amazing that they were up and on the treadmill doing re-hab the very next day with minimal pain.

I also know several people who had tried non-surgical treatments like enriched plasma and platelet treatments. None of those have worked.

If it was me and I was bone on bone, I would get the surgery. You are fit and that will make the recovery SO much easier.

Reactions: scloyd

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They can do amazing things these days. My eighty year old SIL broke her hip at Olive Garden end she was up and moving just a couple days after the surgery.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I had arthroscopic left knee surgery 10 years ago. It helped for several months, but pain over time gradually got worse. My bone on bone pain continued until I decided to go for a full left knee replacement which I had 8 years ago at age 67. It's been so successful I wish I had had the knee replacement way before I did have it. My surgeon had me up and walking with a walker a short distance 2 hours after full knee replacement surgery! Whenever you have knee replacement do not skip or slack off of any physical therapy asked of you!!! I know of some knee replacement patients that slacked off their recovery PT and they ended up with issues. One guy even ended up with a stiff straight leg that hardly bent at all. PT, along with my use of a recumbent exercise bike I had at home really helped with my range of bend and recovery. Latest check up and x-rays show no signs of wear and tear on the replacement knee after 8+ years.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I’m only 41, but I played football for many years in my younger days. Even played a little at the college level. Had to have my left knee scoped to clean it up. It’s held up pretty well, but it does get sore now and then as I’m aging. I’m sure it’ll be a problem someday. Good luck and prayers, brother.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I appreciate this info as my wife is likely looking at a decision about this procedure in the very near future.