PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
If you mix 5 different kinds of shit together, you still get shit. No harm in experimenting but it seems like it would be a miracle if some fantastic tasting blend arose from those ashes.
Yes, shit tobacco is shit tobacco.
The thing is though, that most reject whatever blend because of taste, not because it's shit.

Most of the blends I didn't like I've been able to alter to suit my tastes.
By mixing different blends, one often balances out the other.
Also, time can do wonders for some blends [AJ's Vaper for example], so I suspect that many bitza blends benefit from a bit of ageing.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Ah, the old Aussie favourite, Dr Pats Irish mixture.
The recipe must have changed over the years.
My 4th grade teacher occasionally smoked his pipe in the classroom during the lunch break. The room smelled divine upon our return to class.

When I picked up the pipe I was quite disappointed in Dr Pats. The room note is different to my childhood memory.

JimInks once asked me to describe Dr Pats - like asking a monkey to give a thesis on bananas, lol.
Years later I finally popped my only tin of Orlik Racing Green [what a shame that Orlik does not sell in bulk]
It's tin note smelt exactly like Dr Pats but due to a different cut and leaf mixture, ORG is a much better smoke.
[Dr Pat is good but needs drying and is a bit finicky to pack. ORG is good to go straight from the tin]

It's strange that although the tin note is almost identical, unlike Dr Pat the room note of the ORG reminds me of 4th grade.
Hey Chop, I've only had Dr Pats twice, first was about 10 years ago and I remember it being stouter in nicotine and aroma compared to my tin from last year.Would they have been made by STG back then? I found the cut on the newer tin to be quite fine and had to leave it out for an afternoon to air off the topping quite a bit as well.

Mind you I had it once 10 years ago.

Will have too look at Orlik RG sometime.

Sorry to derail from the thread Mr LikeDadDid, I'm glad it worked out well.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hey Chop, I've only had Dr Pats twice, first was about 10 years ago and I remember it being stouter in nicotine and aroma compared to my tin from last year.Would they have been made by STG back then? I found the cut on the newer tin to be quite fine and had to leave it out for an afternoon to air off the topping quite a bit as well.

Mind you I had it once 10 years ago.

Will have too look at Orlik RG sometime.

Sorry to derail from the thread Mr LikeDadDid, I'm glad it worked out well.
Isn't memory a funny thing? For the first several years of smoking a pipe, all I smoked was Erinmore Mixture and Dr Pats [both are a bit too moist so I'd mix in a bit of Borkhum Riff Whiskey]
Since I found the wonderful world of on-line tobacconists [around five years ago?] I haven't touched either blend.

Now I'm unable to say much about either. Both probably do have more nicotine than the blends I now smoke which no doubt was sufficient to help me kick the cigarette addiction.

Dr Pats is made by Imperial Tobacco Group.
There was a Dr Pats English Mixture [red can] that was a RYO tobacco that I often smoked back in the day.

Reactions: Brendan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes lots of blends put together can be either muddy, with not much distinction or chemistry between the blends, or harsh and nippy. But it's like the lotto. Sometimes you just come up the winner and it is some of the best smoking. So best of luck on this.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I have have to give my own go at this...
I like a Maple aromatic... I think pipesandcigars Vermont Meat Candy has lost something. Just has lost all taste. (And I ordered a pile of it...). So, I thought it would be fun to go thirds with VMC, C&D Autumn Evening, Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish and see what happens.
September is right around the corner.
I hate when a recipe is changed, or something, whatever.... I have a half a pound of this stuff.
JohnK

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I have have to give my own go at this...
I like a Maple aromatic... I think pipesandcigars Vermont Meat Candy has lost something. Just has lost all taste. (And I ordered a pile of it...). So, I thought it would be fun to go thirds with VMC, C&D Autumn Evening, Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish and see what happens.
September is right around the corner.
I hate when a recipe is changed, or something, whatever.... I have a half a pound of this stuff.
JohnK
Good luck! I've just about finished my blend, and it's become a favorite. The only adjustment I've made beyond the posted ingredients was the addition of an ounce of black Cavendish that I didn't think I would use otherwise. The flavor is complex, with the first being chocolate, followed by nutty and fruity goodness, and whatever one would call the contribution of the rum - I don't know how to describe it but I taste the same thing in Sutliff's Spiced Rum blend. I'm guessing I would enjoy most rummy blends.

I say all the time when one of my family is experimenting in the kitchen, "if you put good ingredients in, it can't be too bad." I think that's what happened here.

Reactions: chopper
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Yes, shit tobacco is shit tobacco.
The thing is though, that most reject whatever blend because of taste, not because it's shit.

Most of the blends I didn't like I've been able to alter to suit my tastes.
By mixing different blends, one often balances out the other.
Also, time can do wonders for some blends [AJ's Vaper for example], so I suspect that many bitza blends benefit from a bit of ageing.
Had no idea folks smoked such??

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Good luck! I've just about finished my blend, and it's become a favorite. The only adjustment I've made beyond the posted ingredients was the addition of an ounce of black Cavendish that I didn't think I would use otherwise. The flavor is complex, with the first being chocolate, followed by nutty and fruity goodness, and whatever one would call the contribution of the rum - I don't know how to describe it but I taste the same thing in Sutliff's Spiced Rum blend. I'm guessing I would enjoy most rummy blends.

I say all the time when one of my family is experimenting in the kitchen, "if you put good ingredients in, it can't be too bad." I think that's what happened here.
I wonder if pipesandcigars just sent this stuff out with the casing all shot to hell…

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have a scraps jar that I noodle press into a cake when it’s full. I was pleasantly surprised by the last one I made